Asael

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
I saw it at turners today and liked the feel of it. would you recommend something better yet similar?

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
10' rod, is this combo for throwing lures ?

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
Yes sir I’m kind of a rookie to throwing lures and thought this might be an ok setup
you got a wrong reel for throwing lures. Get a start drag not a lever drag and 10' pole is a PITA to transport. I am 5'-8" and a 9' is good but preferer the 8'.

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
Apr 1, 2019
San Diego
Name
Christian
Boat
14ft Valco
Might want to be pull on a 9ft glass rod to compare the difference. I’d recommend a 9ft parabolic glass rod like a 90J over a 10ft graphite rod for throwing irons. And definitely get a star drag reel. Something like a fathom 25N

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
I appreciate the recommendations and will definitely be looking into a different rod as for the reel I’m a big fan of the fathom so I guess I will be sticking to it. This is the first speedmaster I’ve owned so I was exactly sure what to expect from it

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
90 Monster / 500 Valiant
100 Mega / 16A

this is what I use.
I’m a fan of the valiant as well so I’ll see if I can find one also I’m fishing down In San quintin later in April so this is kind of what I’m trying to set up for

Reactions: winningman

*Technician*

Jun 16, 2008
San Diego East County
Name
Will Katchum
Boat
Ditmar/Donaldson
If you've never caught a 20-30 YT or YFT on a 9 to 10 foot rod...you might wanna try it. Then again, it's not for most people. I'd suggest an 8 foot rod & star drag with excellent free spool. Learn to use heavier line & pull like you mean it. "But, but I'll get more bites on 25lb" You'll also get your drag & line roasted due to Sealions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asael

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
If you've never caught a 20-30 YT or YFT on a 9 to 10 foot rod...you might wanna try it. Then again, it's not for most people. I'd suggest an 8 foot rod & star drag with excellent free spool. Learn to use heavier line & pull like you mean it. "But, but I'll get more bites on 25lb" You'll also get your drag & line roasted due to Sealions.
Understood the majority of people recommend 9 ft rods and right now so I’ll run a 9ft instead of 10 ft

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
How well do you cast an 8 ft rod? If you're just beginning an 8 ft rod might outcast a 9 ft rod. The longer the rod, the more technique is required to load it properly. Start with 8 ft and move up as you get more comfortable. Too many beginners try to start with a long rod and hook more rods and ppl than fish.

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
How well do you cast an 8 ft rod? If you're just beginning an 8 ft rod might outcast a 9 ft rod. The longer the rod, the more technique is required to load it properly. Start with 8 ft and move up as you get more comfortable. Too many beginners try to start with a long rod and hook more rods and ppl than fish.
I can cast an 8 ft great as well cast a 9 pretty ok I just wanted to try a 10ft

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
10' rods are a pain in the ass to move and travel with and when you hook up with a big fish its a pain in the ass
Never fished a 10ft rod so I wouldn’t exactly know but I’ll def. take your word for it as I can imagine the problems that would arise