SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Hey guys, I am looking to put together a large bait caster combo for throwing irons, swim baits, and other medium weight lures, primarily from my kayak. I must be able to store the rods inside the hatch which limits my length to 7'8" max.

I have decided on the okuma komodo ss 463 (KDS-463P).

In considering a rod in the $150-200 range and have all but committed to the californian tri helix in a 7'6" length. The model I checked out today felt good, it was a 15-40#, but I'm wondering if thats going to be too light for a 40# class and throwing irons in general. I've already got an mxj casting set up for that purpose (also on a 15-40 rod (graphite/carbon 7'11" stick, much stiffer than the tri helix, but currently more of a 30# set up.

Will the 15-40 throw a jig well or should I bump to the stiffer h model, I think it's a 20-50, or 25-60.

Thanks

Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    A rod with a 15-40lb rating usually is a 25-30lb class rod. Most rods will not fish the upper ranges in their line rating well. If you want to throw jigs with your rod, you want to look for a 20-50 or better yet, 30-60 rating rod. Not sure what's available in your price range or your height limitation. For my Komodo, I have it on a UC US85Monster and it can throw just about anything.

Upvote 0