Rod length/action recommendation for light line

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by jplee3, Jul 18, 2018.

1. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hey guys,

Been targeting croakers as of late and was considering getting a longer rod with a little more bend in it. I have the opportunity to pickup either an 8' medium action and light power rod (rated for 1/16-3/8oz weight and 4-12lb line) or a 10' fast action and light power rod (also rated for 1/16-3/8oz weight and 4-12lb). The key differences here are obviously that the 8' rod has slower action and therefore I'm assuming is more parabolic. The 10' rod is "fast" but I'm guessing it'll still be somewhat parabolic.

Any thoughts on the 2' difference? Should I just get the 8' one? Both rods are 2-pc btw.

2. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Of the two mentioned, I would pick the 10' rod simply because you can cast farther with it, but it tends to be "out of balance", meaning when you hold the rod/reel in your hand the tip tends to drop. If you fish all day with it, you will notice it in your arm and wrist. To fix the problem, you may have to add counter balancing weights to the butt.

Just something to think about. Many people prefer the 8'.

3. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thanks! Regarding casting further out, I thought that may not necessarily be true with longer rods as much as it is with rods that have slower 'whippy' action...? What one person told me was that they prefer the longer rod not due to the casting ability but because it tends to have more 'give' just because of the fact that it's longer. I can see the point about it being too long though - my friend was saying he thinks spinning reels paired with a rod longer than 7'6 is just too long and feels too unbalanced. I guess the other part of that is how high up the reel seat is as well as how heavy the reel is no?

4. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Yes, the reel seat will change the "balance point". I use a 10' rod, but it's a little heavier for throwing 1/2 oz. to 3/4 oz. lures.

Try these sites for more information:
    https://www.scsurffishing.com/
    http://www.fishthesurf.com/

5. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I would go with a 8' mod to fast action rod. Just my personal preference. 8' rods are generally better balanced and easier to fish for long periods of time especially if you're going to make repeated casts. I personally am not too crazy about long and parabolic rods. They aren't always very accurate. Maybe you could try to do some more research and keep on looking a little more before settling on a rod.

6. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    I use 8'6" stealhead rods for surf.

I do have one 9' heavy. Like mentioned above I counterweight it using stealhead lead. Few wraps around the butt and some x-wrap and it balances perfect. Makes a nice grip for casting too.

That balance does make a huge difference fishing all day.

Cubeye likes this.
  7. jplee3

jplee3 Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thanks all, I went ahead and ordered the 8' to try out. This was part of a rod replacement program for a rod I have where I busted one of the guides. They were basically just offering a 45% discount on a new rod as it's outside warranty coverage. I'm planning to rewrap the guide for the one I busted eventually but figured why not just order the discounted replacement as it seems like a pretty good deal otherwise ($25~ after tax). These are All Star rods btw

5-20 likes this.