I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2018
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Robalo
Hey guys,
quick question and I apologize if this is a dumb one - I am new to the boat ownership. The screws on my rod holders under the gunnel rusted out and broke. So I have the distal tip of the screw stuck in the boat, and the screw head broken into the rod holder. I am replacing the holders, however, before doing so, was curious how to handle the screw tip that is broken off in the side of the boat? Id prefer to fish it out before slapping on another rod holder over it. Do I need to drill this out? If so, what do I fill the drilled hole with? Pics coming..and thank you for all advice!

IMG_4756.JPG

Reactions: Geo-Fish

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Not sure if this will work on something that rusted but maybe try a speed out. (you may have to drill a tiny pilot hole into the top of the exposed screw)

Then you have two options, fill the hole with some epoxy resin with filler (West Marine sells a small "fiberglass repair kit" and it is very easy to use), or you could get something like MarineTex which is a epoxy putty, this is also very easy to use. (I would use one of these two methods)

The second option would be fill it with 4200/5200 if the hole does not go all the way through to the outboard side of the boat, in which case epoxy would be a must.

With both these options I would remove the screw. It may take just using a SMALL well controlled drill bit to get it out piece by piece. Maybe a dremmel?

Either way, don't despair slowly but surely you will get it. Be patient.

Oh and welcome to joys of boat ownership.

Bhoff

Aug 3, 2018
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Robalo
Awesome, thank you for your response. I am going to try and get to it this weekend and try the method that you mentioned. I will get back with my results. Thank you again!

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
n. ca
Name
Tom La
Boat
Mako 184
Drill it out with a drill that is the same size as the minor diameter of the screw. The EZ out would be a little challenging because the screw is small. If the hole gets bigger use a slightly bigger screw to replace it if you use the same holder. No need to over think it. Just my 2 cents.

Bhoff

Aug 3, 2018
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
Robalo
Okay cool. And then just fill the hole with the epoxy resin filler, let it dry, and put in the new holders after it dries?

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
There is no simple flx fa a small broken screw on you boat. You can't drill it, its too small. You may be able to slot it if it extend out enough. Most likely, you will have to grind it down and fill it. The you will have to relocate the rod holder, or drill a new hole in the bracket to relocate the mounting hole. Sometimes if the screw is larger and sticks out more, you can weld a nut to it and unscrew it.

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
Try to recover the screw and any other metal, if it falls through. Since it rusted, I'm assumings its not SS. If it is iron, use a magnet.
The hole can be fixed with marine tex or epoxy.

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
n. ca
Name
Tom La
Boat
Mako 184
There is no simple flx fa a small broken screw on you boat. You can't drill it, its too small. You may be able to slot it if it extend out enough. Most likely, you will have to grind it down and fill it. The you will have to relocate the rod holder, or drill a new hole in the bracket to relocate the mounting hole. Sometimes if the screw is larger and sticks out more, you can weld a nut to it and unscrew it.
I don’t see how you can weld it. Looks like a fiberglass boat, where can you ground the welder, also introducing that much heat for welding a nut would probably cause all kind of bad as far as catching the boat on fire. I can see it possible with an aluminum boat.