Pitchinwedge

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
The 86 Nano is kind of a niche item and has the price to match. Not too far off in price to the numerous made in Japan stuff.

I've read good things about the JW stuff but no first hand experience. If I were to choose, I'd go for the JW first, and UC second.

Reactions: david shelton

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Which UC, Sidewinder or GT Surf? I have enjoyed excellent results with Black Hole jigging and Slow Pitch rods but never tried their popping stuff.

david shelton

Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
The JW 200gr seems to be sold out again in most places.... but the 300gr rod is available still. I wonder if that heavier model would be overkill for that reel
(For 100lb+ YFT and Cubera....)
This model was recommended : United Composites RCE7XXHS 50-80 7'

Last edited:

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
Too bad about the JW. Import tackle can be annoyingly hard to access in the States.

I own a good handful of UC rods. All are casting versions of CE, US, and CX models. IMO, they are all wonderful and each rod in each model line has a somewhat unique/different action/feel.

The RCE700XXH should be a decent rod for poppers. On paper, it looks to be similar to the Monster (one of my faves), but with a slightly firmer tip section. FWIW, the 9' Monster seems to be a popular choice by west coast guys for throwing surface iron (including me, I have one :D).

Also, if I were choosing, I wouldn't get the upgraded S+ version with the aluminum reel seat and hypalon. Just adds weight and cost. For a spinning setup, I think the Fuji style graphite seat and EVA should be more than fine.

Lastly, I've never seen one, but UC has the 7'10" Sidewinder 2pc popping blanks. SW-710XH for PE8-10 and 44lb of max drag. Sounds like a beast of a rod. These need to be wrapped so will take longer to get and likely end up costing a bit more than a factory wrapped RCE700XXH. Just another option.

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
The JW 200gr seems to be sold out again in most places.... but the 300gr rod is available still. I wonder if that heavier model would be overkill for that reel
(For 100lb+ YFT and Cubera....)

This model was recommended : United Composites RCE7XXHS 50-80 7'
What reel would folks think to pair up with the heavier model? A Stella 20k with 55lb of drag? The 8500 puts out 50lb. No meaningful difference here. The reel should be up to the challenge.

david shelton

Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
What reel would folks think to pair up with the heavier model? A Stella 20k with 55lb of drag? The 8500 puts out 50lb. No meaningful difference here. The reel should be up to the challenge.
You're right, I probablt should have said "application" not "reel". I suppose that GH300 would be more of an 80-100lb setup vs a 65-80lb of the GH200....

Reactions: Pitchinwedge

david shelton

Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
Too bad about the JW. Import tackle can be annoyingly hard to access in the States.

I own a good handful of UC rods. All are casting versions of CE, US, and CX models. IMO, they are all wonderful and each rod in each model line has a somewhat unique/different action/feel.

The RCE700XXH should be a decent rod for poppers. On paper, it looks to be similar to the Monster (one of my faves), but with a slightly firmer tip section. FWIW, the 9' Monster seems to be a popular choice by west coast guys for throwing surface iron (including me, I have one :D).

Also, if I were choosing, I wouldn't get the upgraded S+ version with the aluminum reel seat and hypalon. Just adds weight and cost. For a spinning setup, I think the Fuji style graphite seat and EVA should be more than fine.

Lastly, I've never seen one, but UC has the 7'10" Sidewinder 2pc popping blanks. SW-710XH for PE8-10 and 44lb of max drag. Sounds like a beast of a rod. These need to be wrapped so will take longer to get and likely end up costing a bit more than a factory wrapped RCE700XXH. Just another option.
Thanks for the info. What retailer would you recommend? I'd definitely would want it shipped in a tube or case. Not like the Amazon retailers that ship rods in flimsy cardboard ...

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
I've purchased many UC rods from Sam at Island Tackle in Carson. You can also try Jamie at Bob Sands. Both are super cool guys so you should be able speak plainly to them about your shipping concerns. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!

Reactions: ripped

david shelton

Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
I've purchased many UC rods from Sam at Island Tackle in Carson. You can also try Jamie at Bob Sands. Both are super cool guys so you should be able speak plainly to them about your shipping concerns. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you!
Thanks, I'll reach out to them!

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
plus Jamie has excellent insight on popping rods, they carry BH and UC plus others. He has a few good posts on the subject in older posts.

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
Thanks, I'll reach out to them!
Almost forgot about John at Trophy Tackle in New York. He sells UC and BH rods as well. My rod was shipped in a common rectangular tube style box but arrived cross country just fine.

david shelton

Oct 20, 2016
Nicaragua
Name
david shelton
Boat
Panga
Cool, will check in with them also, thanks. I am shipping to Nicaragua so it has to be a sturdy tube.