Rod for AFB 65

May 30, 2020
SOCAL
Name
Marty Lindsley
Boat
1984 Skipjack 20
I just purchased an AVB 65 bait feeder. It's my second Okuma reel and my first Okuma bait feeder. The setup will be used primarily for inshore/offshore saltwater fishing. I plan on spooling up with 20lb. braid over a mono filler. Can anyone suggest a 7' to 8' rod to compliment the reel?

Thanks in advance,
Marty

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Sorry, no rod suggestions. Though I am curious if you think you might use this setup offshore at all why not spool it full with 30 lb. braid? Then you would have a fighting chance if a bigger model grabs on. And you will not have to replace it in a year or two like mono.

May 30, 2020
SOCAL
Name
Marty Lindsley
Boat
1984 Skipjack 20
F.R.,
From past experience spooling spinning reels with braid in the Gulf, I like to put down a few layers of mono for the "bite" it provides for the braid to grab on to so it doesn't slip on the reel. As always, there will be a few dozen different opinions on this approach, but that's my personal preference. I know some guys don't do anything and just tie the braid directly to the spool. I used to be one of those guys. I would do a double wrap cinch knot thinking there's no way the line will ever slip. WRONG. At least in one instance, and that's all it took for me to change up. Then there's the electrical tape theory. This probably works fine, but I haven't tried it personally. Even though I try to hose off all my equipment/gear after a trip with fresh water, there's always a chance that the salt will get under the tape and corrode the reel. With the amount of line the AFB 65 holds, a couple wraps of mono probably won't make that big of a difference. If I ever get lucky enough to run the risk of getting spooled, that last 50-75 yards probably won't save me anyway! ;)

BTW- I have a Shimano 8000 OC too. That one is on a Daiwa Beef Stick that I bought on a whim. It was my first baitrunner reel and I love it. I bought the Okuma as a second bait feeder for the boat and for the wife to use. I really didn't want to dump a couple hundred into a second setup for her to experiment with....(now I P.O. all the lady anglers too!) Sorry....

Reactions: FishRock

Mark Bingham

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 5, 2016
California
Name
StormFishing
Boat
Wet Dream
The Coronado BF would be a better for salt water conditions. I have a 55 paired with a PCHi 801H and with 50# braid.

TravisAZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 18, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Name
Travis
Boat
Favorite Mistake
I put a couple of Abf40s on 6’ heavy ugly sticks for my kids. I have taken one on an overnight when the baits are tiny chovies and am expecting schoolie sized YFT.

it’s actually pretty awesome, especially on the 6footer. I can pitch a tiny bait exactly where I want it and go over/under/around the entire lineup on the rail with ease.

You didnt give a price range so conservative suggestion would be a penn ally 7foot MH. Rated 15-30, and about $100 marp.