BluefinCurly

Skipper
Aug 15, 2004
Central Texas
Name
Carl
Boat
Vagabond, The Last Minute
I could try that search again, but why not start a new one. My two 40 lb outfits are a Penn FTH30LD2 and an old Shimano Tyrnos12II both filled with 60 lb hollow. I fish them with short (20-25’) topshots of fluorocarbon. I’m good to go with the reels. My question is about the rods.

I put the Penn on a G Loomis Pelagic Series PSR84-40C SU, rated 30-50. The Tyrnos goes on an aged Seeker Black Steel that I built a long time ago, still works well. It was 6’6” and I extended the handle length. The blank number is CJB65H, I think it was rated 35-50, not like the CJBF65H rated 30-80. Anyway, they’re both 7’ and they work well.

Question is, with the popularity of longer rods, like the 7’6” and 7’8” rail rods, are you guys now mostly using 8’ rods for flylining?
I have merged to primarily 8ft rods Steve. I like the additional leverage and reach.

Reactions: Steve K
Upvote 0

Steel Seeker 40

Almost A Member
Mar 20, 2018
Seattle, WA
Name
Steel Seeker 40
Boat
Pelican Catch 120
Is the action purely preference for bluefin? I have a PCH 7'6" XH I've only caught halibut with and a Cedros XXH that is very parabolic. I have pulled the trigger too quick on a number of bluefin so I wonder if slower action helps with the circle hook getting in the right place. I was about ready to go all J-hooks on my 2.5 in october so I can stop doing that. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Is the action purely preference for bluefin? I have a PCH 7'6" XH I've only caught halibut with and a Cedros XXH that is very parabolic. I have pulled the trigger too quick on a number of bluefin so I wonder if slower action helps with the circle hook getting in the right place. I was about ready to go all J-hooks on my 2.5 in october so I can stop doing that. Thoughts?
Whatever rod you’re using, take it out of the equation and point it at the fish when you’re bit. If using a lever drag, ease it up gently to get some tension, start winding. This should set the circle (or j) properly. Star drag is basically the same deal. Don’t even put a bend in the rod until the line is tight and the fish is pulling line off the reel.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Buddy down San Diego way is going to go through his collection, bring over a few for me to browse. Phenix HAX780 and 820 X2H are in the mix. 780 or 800 XH look nice, too.
So many great rods, so many reels, so many fish, so little time. ;)

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’ve said several times “I’ll get back to you.”

Still trying to decide. Leaning towards San Diego Tackle Traders, make an appointment before or after my next trip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    I fish 9 ft rod for bait and jigs for 40. Phenix Axis HAX J 30-80 rod.

All my stick 12-40 are 9 ft, with one 10 ft 30 lb outfit.

Lol your saying Steve was shorter rods longer trips.

What happened?

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Thanks, guys. Overwhelming response 100% in favor of the 8 footer. I’m looking into it, but will probably go lower budget as it’s hard for me to justify a high dollar rod in view of the amount of time I dedicate to fishing.
    8 foot rods work well for casting sardines and flylining. Now, with so many guys using these long rods on long range boats, where do you store them? There's only so much room at the bow.

Tackle box rocket launchers? Up stairs?

Upvote 0