The American Tackle Company

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Charlie
Boat
Chappy
Hey all anyone have suggestions on a kit to use for my first build?
I want to take on rod building as a serious hobby and have never done it .

I have been looking at the mudhole.com all in one kit .. Anyone used this , where should I start ?

Any help would be great appreciated , thanks fellow anglers

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I recommend watching videos, reading guides on here, and talking to other rod builders. Once you've done that, select a blank (Rainshadows are awesome) and do a little research on components. Selecting your own components is usually much better than a kit.

Upvote 0

timmyd3853

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
i
Hey all anyone have suggestions on a kit to use for my first build?
I want to take on rod building as a serious hobby and have never done it .

I have been looking at the mudhole.com all in one kit .. Anyone used this , where should I start ?

Any help would be great appreciated , thanks fellow anglers
would suggest since youre here in socal and saltwater? fisherman? go to acidrod.com they have some saltwater rod kits geared for OUR area and theyre decently priced. pick one out and build it.

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
I think Charlie is asking about their starter wrapper and I'd say it's the best bang for the buck you will ever find. I also think building a rod kit is a good way to go for your first try.

Upvote 0

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Charlie
Boat
Chappy
I recommend watching videos, reading guides on here, and talking to other rod builders. Once you've done that, select a blank (Rainshadows are awesome) and do a little research on components. Selecting your own components is usually much better than a kit.

Thanks Tanner, thats what i have been doing. I just wanted to know i was on the right track. Thanks again !

Upvote 0

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Charlie
Boat
Chappy
i

would suggest since youre here in socal and saltwater? fisherman? go to acidrod.com they have some saltwater rod kits geared for OUR area and theyre decently priced. pick one out and build it.

Timmy, saw their website also have been looking into that. Yes SoCal/ Baja fisherman , i will check out their saltwater kits.

Upvote 0

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Charlie
Boat
Chappy
I think Charlie is asking about their starter wrapper and I'd say it's the best bang for the buck you will ever find. I also think building a rod kit is a good way to go for your first try.

Hey FATCAT yeah is the mudhole.com "ALL IN ONE ROD BUILDING KIT " going to give me every supply that i will need? Im assuming if i get that kit i will know what to re-order as far as supplies are concerned , when i run out?

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
It's just the hand wrapper, thread tensioner, dryer etc. You'll still have to get the blank, components, thread and finishes and several other items (blades, brushes and such).

Reactions: Truestory
Upvote 0

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    Looks like you are in OC. There is a rod building class in San Diego, Mira Mesa area. The builders that show on a weekly basis are awesome builders! I have been attending for about a year and have learned a tremendous amount. They can help you build your first rod and give you experience using various building techniques. Look at the top of the forum for information. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
    Oceanside/CA/USA
    Name
    Charlie
    Boat
    Chappy
    Looks like you are in OC. There is a rod building class in San Diego, Mira Mesa area. The builders that show on a weekly basis are awesome builders! I have been attending for about a year and have learned a tremendous amount. They can help you build your first rod and give you experience using various building techniques. Look at the top of the forum for information. Good luck.
    Thank you . I figured going to the classes would help tremendously, they are on my radar.

Upvote 0

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
    Oceanside/CA/USA
    Name
    Charlie
    Boat
    Chappy
    FATCAT one last question if i may-- just bought this supplies kit do i pretty much have everything i need when it comes to supplies ? I know i still need a kit or components
    http://www.mudhole.com/All-In-One-Rod-Building-Supply-Kit

Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
    Sep 20, 2010
    C.M. CA
    Name
    Dondo
    Boat
    Cory's Rig
    Get some denatured alcohol, your favorite alcoholic beverage (s) (for the inevitable moments of frustration), and some acetone and a bunch of rags! Yer off to the races! Keep us posted on your progress:cheers:

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    Charlie, that kit looks very complete and the price seems excellent to me. I've been building rods for nearly 40 years and I'm still using a hand wrapper. Never even tried a power wrapper.

Some guys here don't like Mud Hole because they think the shipping is too high. That has not been my experience, but I never buy one or two items, which seems to be where others have had issues with them.

Upvote 0

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
    Oceanside/CA/USA
    Name
    Charlie
    Boat
    Chappy
    Charlie, that kit looks very complete and the price seems excellent to me. I've been building rods for nearly 40 years and I'm still using a hand wrapper. Never even tried a power wrapper.

Some guys here don't like Mud Hole because they think the shipping is too high. That has not been my experience, but I never buy one or two items, which seems to be where others have had issues with them.

Upvote 0

drumford

gotta go babe!
    Sep 20, 2010
    C.M. CA
    Name
    Dondo
    Boat
    Cory's Rig
    Yep, what bill says is true about ...hole, I only go there for two reasons. In desperation which I no longer need to do, thanks scold and Batson and acid rod and voodoo, and to tell new guys the kit you got is a good deal to start with. You might wanna see if there are any builders near you.

Upvote 0

Truestory

Aug 1, 2012
    Oceanside/CA/USA
    Name
    Charlie
    Boat
    Chappy
    Yep, what bill says is true about ...hole, I only go there for two reasons. In desperation which I no longer need to do, thanks scold and Batson and acid rod and voodoo, and to tell new guys the kit you got is a good deal to start with. You might wanna see if there are any builders near you.
    Thanks Drumford. I will look into going to some classes offered in the San Diego area. I live in Oceanside so if anybody knows of any rod building classes please let me know some info.

Upvote 0