ROD BUILDING EPOXY GLUE Reel Seat, Grips, Gimbal Butt

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by geebee, Apr 2, 2018.

1. geebee

geebee My Member is Well-Known

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    Can anyone share their opinion if specialty 2-part "rod building epoxy" can be substituted for cheaper 2-part epoxy at Home Depot, for example (and a proven product)? I want to use the generic product.

I only need enough for two rods 7' rods (aluminum gimbals and reel seats, grips).

Also, is acetone safe to use to cleanup over spill on the new Varmac grip material?

I was told not to heat up Varmac grips in boiling water like the old Hypalon grips to slide them on - just lubricate the blank with generous epoxy and they will slide on without much trouble - true?

2. CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls 100% Disabled Veteran Owned Business

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    Bust Out Another Thousand
    I tried it and the glue sets up too fast. Use the slow dry 15 min epoxy and it should work fine. Not sure about the grips.

geebee likes this.
  3. Pinche Whetto

Pinche Whetto Newbie

Name:
    Mike Myers
    Boat:
    Anyone's who'll take me.
    Watch Saltydawg's videos, do what he says, use what he uses, end of story.

tgorman and BloodyL like this.
  4. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    If I got the right vid in mind, he uses rubber cement on the lower grip and mix of rubber cement and 2-part epoxy on the fore grip - the rubber cement being the 'grease' that makes the grip slide in place.

I was thinking of using straight 2-part epoxy because rubber cement doesn't sound too appealing to me.

I will give his tutorial another review...

PS

Yep, that was the video I remember, good review:

As far as the Elmer's Rubber Cement, I guess Mr. Saltydawg knows what up with that ... looked like he used something to clean the excess 2-part glue off the aluminum reel seat, but looked like he didn't clean the glue from the grip?

I would think 2-part epoxy should be cleaned off the foam grips with acetone (or whatever) before it dried, but he didn't say what cleaning fluid he was using or what he was actually cleaning?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  5. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    I've always used finish , flex coat, to glue on hypalon, reel seats , and gimbals. only problem is once it's on it's a major bitch to strip off , if you ever have to.

6. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Any slow curing epoxy should be fine.

7. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    Spend a few dollars and get some small containers of Rod Bond. It is made for installing reelseats, gimbels etc. It has the consistency of vasoline so it will stay where you put it and won't run all over and make a mess. It sets up slowly so you have plenty of time to make adjustments and you should never have a reelseat failure. You don't want to risk a loose reelseat to save a couple of dollars on a $200 or $300 build. Denatured Alcohol will usually clean up most excess epoxy problems. If the DNA does not work then you can move up to Acetone but you have to be careful because Acetone can damage some rod finishes. Not sure how it acts on the new Varmac material.

TEAMFISH and Wendell Fox like this.
  8. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    I would think FlexCoat would take a long to dry hard? (at least overnight?)

9. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Thanks, that refreshed my memory, Rod Bond and Flex Coat's Rod Builders Epoxy are $18-25 - a generic 2-part epoxy like LOCTITE (if I can get the right Loctite product for fiberglass, metal, rubber) is a lot less expensive...

glue.jpg epoxy.jpg

10. lkatdpelicanfly

lkatdpelicanfly Lizard Fish Slayer

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I wrapped some rods with standard hardware 2-part epoxy 1/2 hour set time,a long time ago on some lighter sticks in the 20-50 lb range...they are fine. But I've always used dry wall mesh fiberglass tape, not masking tape, so my build-ups to get the reel seat snug,have a lot more epoxy.I'm sure masking tape bushings on a lighter stick would be fine as well. On a heavier sticks though, where i will mount a heavier reel and apply more drag pressure...I upgrade to Rod Bond...sure its a little pricier, but heavier sticks are for bigger fish, and the good reels seats and gimbals arent cheap, so why skimp on $5-$10 on glue?

Wendell Fox likes this.
  11. geebee

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Okay to the Rod Bond recommendations, thanks all, I will spring for the specialty epoxy in the morning.

I can't imagine VARMAC grips melting or deforming from acetone, and no one here not knowing about it if it was a problem, but I will soak a small piece in acetone and see what happens...

12. the_tunaman

the_tunaman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Boat:
    Ranger Z20
    Back when i wrapped for Fish N Tackle, we always used rubber cement for installing hypalon and a two-part epoxy for the reel seats and gimbals. Two different applications, two different solutions.

Nowadays I let my buddy at Sav-On tackle install my hypalon and reel seats, as it is far easier and quite cost effective. He does a great job, and typically I can pick it up in a week and hit the ground running on the actual wrapping. I'm not sure what he uses, but the results are great.

13. MATTANZA

MATTANZA old man of the sea, in training.

Name:
    RICK
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
    it takes about 5 or so hours to set up. the longer the setup time , the better the penetration and adhesion. when I put a handle together everything is tight as a drum, no slop, so there's not an excess of epoxy. flex coat is very viscous and acts as a lube and glue. none of my reel seats , grips or gimbals have ever come lose. I've tried cheap 5 minute epoxies on my own rods , and they tend to crack from being brittle , and going off too quick. I've had gimbles , and reel seats come lose on heavy , and flexible rods.

14. jg125

jg125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    2004 Proline 33 WA
    I totally agree with rod bond great stuff I would stay away from using the rod bond fast cure used it for a couple of gimbals was in a rush both worked there way loose while tuna fishing.

15. K. D.

K. D. Member

Name:
    Kerry Hansen
    Boat:
    RIVER SLED
    Rod Bond as well as some other rod building products was developed by a rod builder who was near a Genius and a Boeing Chemical Engineer. It has been used for years by the majority of rod builders. Heck I also use it for many repair jobs on my "Honey Do" lists.

16. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    There's a place in San Diego called Fiberlay.They sell fiberglass products and epoxies in larger containers.After seeing the price of that rod bond stuff i'm glad i purchased a pint of epoxy and the hardener for 40 bucks.