ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
Looking for some cheaper rod blanks (nothing fancy) to practice rod building. PM if you have any you are willing to sell. Thanks.

styxchaser

VERY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
Go to the Fred Hall Show in early March. There are usually some good deals on decent blanks. Sometimes there are cosmetic seconds that you will wrap over anyway.

Also go to the LB Rod and Gun Club Swap Meet this Saturday. You may find some decent rods that need a little TLC or re-wrapping.

Reactions: ReelWhite

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
Go to the Fred Hall Show in early March. There are usually some good deals on decent blanks. Sometimes there are cosmetic seconds that you will wrap over anyway.

Also go to the LB Rod and Gun Club Swap Meet this Saturday. You may find some decent rods that need a little TLC or re-wrapping.
Appreciate it, thanks for the info!

styxchaser

VERY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
At Fred Hall, check the Phenix booth. They had some Asian blanks for sale a year or two ago. Not Phenix blanks, but good enough to learn/practice on and still have something fishable.

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sea Pro 170DC & S/V Lunar Dawn a Casade 36' Sloop
Fisherman's landing down in SD has a box of various $20 blanks and box of $20 Roddy blanks.

Highwayman

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
I used a cheap blank on my first build but looking back with all the effort I should have used the best I could afford because I still fish the rod. It was a blank I got at the FHS that was value priced and adequate.

Looking for some cheaper rod blanks (nothing fancy) to practice rod building. PM if you have any you are willing to sell. Thanks.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
mud hole has really cheap blanks sometime, that what I did when I first started too....