Rod and Reel Recommendations?

Jul 13, 2016
Scottsdale, Arizona
Name
Dan Bolander
Boat
Anything that will let me on
Hi all,
My two adult kids, son‘s girlfriend and I are going on a 2.5 day October 21st out of Fisherman’s Landing and would like to surprise them each with their first good rod/reel setup to call their own. I’m paying for the entire trip for all four of us including tickets, meals, additional rentals, processing (hopefully), etc….so this trip won’t be cheap (for me…ha) but I want this trip to be something special by having them use their own setup most of the time rather than a rental.
Three of us have fished multi day trips in the past, with one of us as a first timer.
So my question is what could possibly be the most used line weight on a 2.5 day trip late October, with rentals filling in the gap? I know it’s a best guess, but if you had to own just one rod/reel and rent the rest what would that be? Keep in mind that we will probably only do one trip per season…two at the most.
I’m thinking 30lb setups (open to comments) could be used the most, so what are your thoughts on which 2-speed lever drag reel and which 7 foot rod to buy each of them? I mention 7 foot because we are traveling from AZ and all this stuff needs to fit in our vehicles.
This will for live bait not casting, so I‘m thinking a wider profile spool?
I do like what I’ve seen and read from both Avet and the Penn Fathom, but even then which right hand model/size would you buy?

Thanks in advance!!!

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I agree with "Shewillbemine"....Rent the gear brother. See if they REALLY like this before we see you selling the rods here on BD in a few months.

Seriously. If you want to give them something fun..... competitive... different .... etc. Spend some money buying them individual lures. Trolling.... casting.... poppers. Make them different.... with a broad range of colors. Let them choose their own on the trip out. Would be fun. Save a butt load of cash. Make it a little competitive. Just a thought. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Sciaenops

Nov 23, 2005
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Keith
    Boat
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    All good suggestions above. Another is check with boat on what gear, if any, they’ll let you use. 30# is as universal as it gets.

Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I think it's a great gesture and if it brings you joy to do this for your family then do it! Check out the Torium 16HG, Tesoro 5 and Fathom 15xnld2. I have all three and love them. Any rod rated 15-40 will work. I think you'd be ok with a rod up to 8 feet for better casting. I fit up to 9 footers in my mustang. I hope you'll share what you finally decide to purchase.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0
    Jul 13, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Name
    Dan Bolander
    Boat
    I think it's a great gesture and if it brings you joy to do this for your family then do it! Check out the Torium 16HG, Tesoro 5 and Fathom 15xnld2. I have all three and love them. Any rod rated 15-40 will work. I think you'd be ok with a rod up to 8 feet for better casting. I fit up to 9 footers in my mustang. I hope you'll share what you finally decide to purchase.
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions…and thanks to those who posted suggestions prior.
    I also appreciate those who said renting would be the most cost effective, but two of the three I’m buying for have been out with me quite a few times and will continue fishing multi day trips for years to come.

Upvote 0

Sciaenops

Nov 23, 2005
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Keith
    Boat
    Aquasport Explorer 225
    Until recently I had the whole series of Daiwa Proteus boat rods in 7’6” length. Good value (at least the 1st gen were). M for 15-20#; MH for 25-30#; H for 30-40#; XH for 50-60#.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Just letting you know that I approve of your intentions, and you should know that I'm available for adoption. . .

For under $300 for a 2 speed reel, the Penn Fathoms are a very solid choice. I would spend the tiny bit more and get the 40 size and add 80# braid and then use a 25-yard spool of fluorocarbon as a topshot, saving the empty spool and using it to re-wind the fluoro if you decide to change the line strength of the topshot later. Nobody is going to cast a lever-drag more than 25 yards anyway on a seven foot rod.

Any of the name-brand rods in XH or XXH will get the job done. Again, nobody is going to be casting a sardine very far on a lever-drag reel, and if using lures it will be mostly a short sling too with a seven foot boat rod.

I don't have a store to recommend in Arizona, but if you call a couple of tackle stores and talk to the manager and tell him what your order will be, you should get a nice discount, free line at least and likely more.

Upvote 0

TravisAZ

Almost A Member
  • Feb 18, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    Favorite Mistake
    Hey, Silver
    I’m thinking 30lb setups (open to comments) could be used the most, so what are your thoughts on which 2-speed lever drag reel and which 7 foot rod to buy each of them? I mention 7 foot because we are traveling from AZ and all this stuff needs to fit in our vehicles.
    Not sure if you are aware of this, but Phoenix Fishing Supply is the best in town for saltwater gear. They are located at 16th street and Camelback. Don't mess with basspro or cabela's, these guys know their stuff.

The problem you are going to have is inventory. I was in there this weekend, and they are light on reels. The industry hasn't recovered from covid and other shipping delays yet.

I think your bread and butter setup for socal fishing is a Penn Fathom 25nld2 spooled with 65lb braid. Since they are newbies, I would add a 33yd topshot of 40lb mono, and then fish 20-40lb flouro leader on top of that. The mono is going to be easier to handle and backlashes won't be as nasty to deal with.

Don't be afraid of spinning gear either, especially for the less experienced. A solid spinning setup is going to be easier to cast, get away from the boat, and get bit. Easy and cheap to set something up to handle schoolie sized fish. A little more work once hooked up, but not the joke the cali boys made them out to be 10 years ago.

I was in Phoenix Fishing Supply this weekend. They had several reels that could get you done, but maybe only 1 of each.
    - Penn Fathom 25NLD.
    - Penn Fathom 15XN which might fit the girlfriend's hand better
    - Shimano Speedmaster II

They had a nice selection of rods in stock that would work for this application too, all in the 200-250$ range, including Diawa Proteus, Phenix HAX, and Shimano Terramar.

They are also expecting the new Penn Carnage III (release date oct, Amazon shows Sept 12) and shipments of the Okuma PCH. As another desert dweller who doesn't get to fish as much as I like, I think the Fathom/PCH combo is impossible to beat for the value from a new/msrp perspective from what we have access to.

I would give them a call and see what they have. Worst case scenario is you source the reels online and then take them in and have them spool them up for you and get them mounted on the right rod for each person.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
    Jul 13, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Name
    Dan Bolander
    Boat
    Hey, Silver

Not sure if you are aware of this, but Phoenix Fishing Supply is the best in town for saltwater gear. They are located at 16th street and Camelback. Don't mess with basspro or cabela's, these guys know their stuff.

The problem you are going to have is inventory. I was in there this weekend, and they are light on reels. The industry hasn't recovered from covid and other shipping delays yet.

I think your bread and butter setup for socal fishing is a Penn Fathom 25nld2 spooled with 65lb braid. Since they are newbies, I would add a 33yd topshot of 40lb mono, and then fish 20-40lb flouro leader on top of that. The mono is going to be easier to handle and backlashes won't be as nasty to deal with.

Don't be afraid of spinning gear either, especially for the less experienced. A solid spinning setup is going to be easier to cast, get away from the boat, and get bit. Easy and cheap to set something up to handle schoolie sized fish. A little more work once hooked up, but not the joke the cali boys made them out to be 10 years ago.

I was in Phoenix Fishing Supply this weekend. They had several reels that could get you done, but maybe only 1 of each.
    - Penn Fathom 25NLD.
    - Penn Fathom 15XN which might fit the girlfriend's hand better
    - Shimano Speedmaster II

They had a nice selection of rods in stock that would work for this application too, all in the 200-250$ range, including Diawa Proteus, Phenix HAX, and Shimano Terramar.

They are also expecting the new Penn Carnage III (release date oct, Amazon shows Sept 12) and shipments of the Okuma PCH. As another desert dweller who doesn't get to fish as much as I like, I think the Fathom/PCH combo is impossible to beat for the value from a new/msrp perspective from what we have access to.

I would give them a call and see what they have. Worst case scenario is you source the reels online and then take them in and have them spool them up for you and get them mounted on the right rod for each person.

Good luck!
    I agree that Phoenix Fishing Supply is the go-to fishing store in Phoenix! Mom and pop type place and been around for a long time. Had all of my reels respooled there about 3 weeks ago. My intention is to figure out what I want, then have them order it to give them the business before our late October trip.

Upvote 0

TravisAZ

Almost A Member
  • Feb 18, 2008
    Chandler, AZ
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    Favorite Mistake
    I agree that Phoenix Fishing Supply is the go-to fishing store in Phoenix! Mom and pop type place and been around for a long time. Had all of my reels respooled there about 3 weeks ago. My intention is to figure out what I want, then have them order it to give them the business before our late October trip.
    FYI, Amazon is showing Fathom II LDs in stock in 15, 25N, 30 and 60 on Prime free next day.

Upvote 0