Lancaster, CA
Name
Roy Hilton
Boat
White Knight
I need some help pairing a reel to the folowoing rods:

Phenix Axis HAX820MH (20-45)

Phenix Axis HAX720XH (30-80)

I am looking to fish for Yellow Tail and Blue Fin Tuna. I am first going to start on 1/2 day boats and then work up to the longer day charters. I need to work on the skills and feel of the setups.

Please recommend reels for each, also braid.

My initial suggested setup is:

HAX820MH: Daiwa Seagate 30H with #50 braid and flouro leader

HAX720XH: Penn FATHOM 40NLD2 with #65 braid and flouro leader

I am looking forward to your comments and expertise.

Reactions: Carlos Llamas
Upvote 0

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 28, 2007
OC
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
skip the 1/2 day boat and jump on a 3/4 or full day boat. the gear you have is over kill for 1/2 day boats and full day boats. you're going to need a 20/25 bait rig and a 30 iron rig. lots of gear on the classified section.

Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Those are nice rods, but you won't find a lot of application for them on the 1/2 day boats.
The lighter rig will be decent for rockfish/lingcod, and Seaforth is getting some nice yellowtail locally right now, but its not the norm.
For offshore, the rigs are very good for 25-30 pound topshots [lighter rig], and 50-60 pound topshots [heavier rig].
Eventually you will also want a lighter setup for 15-20-25 and "finesse" offshore applications, and a true 40-pound rig with a 2-speed that is "in between" the rigs you have.
On the lighter rig, a 2-speed is optional, but when those 50-80 pound tuna get finicky and will only bite 30 pound line, a 2-speed is extremely useful. A Fathom FTH15LD2 or FTH15XNLD2 both match the rod well, and give you a fighting chance when an unexpected big one bites.

Upvote 0

hiltonr92

Nov 18, 2020
Lancaster, CA
Name
Roy Hilton
Boat
White Knight
Please recommend a lighter setup for 15-20-25 bait fishing and a true 40lb rig with a 2 speed reel.

Which rig should I use for Irons and yo-yo jigs?

Thanks for helping someone new.

Upvote 0

dctalk523

Dec 28, 2007
OC
Name
ChoeMan
Boat
Never
grasshopper use the search function lots of recommendations

Reactions: Kos
Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    Go to your local tackle shop. Bring your rods. Tell somoene who works there your fishing plan AND your budget. Slap some reels on there, and see what feels comfortable to you.

The brand of braid on those shorter trips won't matter. USE atleast 75-100 yds of a mono top shot (i prefer izorline xxx smoke). Mono is much more forgiving until you get dialed in. Your knots and ability to cast are going to be your main concern.

Most importantly get out as much as you can and have fun. Nothing can beat time on the water

Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    dont get a seagate get a saltist BG instead. they are almost the same price and the saltists look/feel a lot better than the seagates.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    I need some help pairing a reel to the folowoing rods:

Phenix Axis HAX820MH (20-45)

Phenix Axis HAX720XH (30-80)

I am looking to fish for Yellow Tail and Blue Fin Tuna. I am first going to start on 1/2 day boats and then work up to the longer day charters. I need to work on the skills and feel of the setups.

Please recommend reels for each, also braid.

My initial suggested setup is:

HAX820MH: Daiwa Seagate 30H with #50 braid and flouro leader

HAX720XH: Penn FATHOM 40NLD2 with #65 braid and flouro leader

I am looking forward to your comments and expertise.
    Use the 820MH as a 30lb rig (no need for 2spd) pair that with a Avet MXJ G2 or Accurate Tern 400

The 720XH and 40NLD2 can be used for 40,50, and 60lb topshots, with 80lb Maxcuatro backing.

What you need now is a 20 to 25lb setup

There's plenty of choices so try and keep it American but if you insist on going Chinese I suggest the Phenix Abyss 808. And a Lexa 400 with 5.1 gear ratio. Spool the Lexa to the rim with 40lb braid. The Abyss is good because it has a soft tip and I've seen those things putting in a lot of work on party boats.

Don't worry about half day boats go straight to full day and 3/4 and make sure you hit the islands.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0