Rod and Reel for 3/4 Boat Trips

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by ColdEye, Jan 17, 2019.

1. ColdEye

ColdEye Newbie

Name:
    Ranie
    Boat:
    Paper
    what is a decent rod and reel for day trips here in San Diego? I am pretty new to fishing and currently all I have is some UL trout gear. I am planning to take one of the 3/4 day trips to see how it is. My budget is around $300-$400. I don't have any problems buying used. Is the daiwa BG 6500 a good option? I am fine with either a spinner or baitcaster. I do have an old Penn 309 and daiwa sl50sh that was given to me, can I use either of those? As for the rods I am completely clueless on what o get. Thank you.

2. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    Lots of gear up for sale on the classified board.

3. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    A seeker/calstar/cousins 6480 and a Penn 25nLD or star drag

4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    2 rods will have you covered 99% of the time:

25lb bait rod
    40lb bait rod that can also be used with yoyo jigs.

Highwayman, Efishient and jer dog like this.
  5. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    My advice would to be to get something fish live bait on 25lb test. That's what you'll use 90% of the time, and having a setup that does that job very well will help adjust and learn faster.

That's going to consist of a 7-8' rod rated around 12-30 or 15-40 and a reel with smooth drags about the size of a Torium 16 that's spooled with 60-100 yards of 25lb mono on top of 50-65lb braid backing. Baitcasters have become popular for light live bait applications, but most were designed to be fished on the higher end of their rated drag spectrum, so they aren't as smooth, and when combined with braid to short fluoro leaders there isn't a whole lot of stretch, so you're more liable to miss hooksets as a result. Mono and conventional reels are much better when first starting out, you'll have a lot less frustration. I wouldn't bother with spinning reels either, you can't backpeddle them and it makes it more complicated to keep in touch with your bait.

I set up two friends for this exact purpose with Torium 16s and Phenix Axis 820MLs. Pretty much all the brands gear is equally good at the price point you're talking about, so Diawa, Okuma, etc. they're all good. I'd focus on getting a reel that size and whatever rod feels good with 6-7lbs of line tension. I brought a reel with line on it for my friends to try when they pulled on rods at the drag pressure you would use for 25 and they happened to like the same rod and reel. If you look through the classifieds you can get step up to better quality, it's almost all in new condition, they depreciate ~50% as soon as you walk it out the door.

ColdEye, Yella1 and SouthBayKiller like this.
  6. Efishient

Efishient Newbie

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    I wish
    If you're looking for a baitcast setup, you can't go wrong with the Okuma Komodo series. For a rod you can look for an Okuma shadow stalker, Okuma PCH, Seeker MGC, or californian tri helix series

rexor_rn, ColdEye and Yella1 like this.
  7. Yella1

Yella1 So Fishy

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    Pay to Play
    Oh, man. I could talk for hours. 3/4 day is my FAVORITE trip. Depending on the season/bite, you would need to be ready for everything from Rockfish and Halibut to Calico/Sand Bass to Yellowtail/Bonito/Tuna/Mahi. Such a wide range.

Honestly, for that budget you could probably get 2 setups if you are patient and find some deals on used gear. If so, I would recommend a "calico stick" with a swimbait rod and large baitcaster. For example, a Lexa 400 reel and an Okuma SCTi 8'6" XH rod. I would also try to get a sturdier setup for larger fish (such as InDeepShip's recommendation). Keep in mind with conventional reels that lever drags typically have more drag power, but star drags are much easier to cast (in my opinion). You mentioned the Daiwa BG reel. I have heard very good things about it, but have never tried it myself. If you were interested in that reel, I would do a web search of appropriate rods to pair with it at each size level.

If you're buying ONE rod and reel combo for this trip, it would need to be sturdy enough for a pissed off Yellowtail, but not so heavy that feeling nibbles in 200-300 feet of water loses its "fun factor."

A LOT of combos would get the job done, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of suggestions from this thread. It becomes what FEELS best to you. Personally, if I had to choose one setup for all those purposes, I would buy an Okuma Komodo SS 463 paired with a 7'6" Okuma PCH Custom Heavy rod. Brand new, that combo will probably run you between $350 and $400. Obviously used will be more affordable. To me, that is the strongest, smoothest, "funnest", easiest to use, most versatile combo I've used and is perfect for pretty much anything you will encounter on a 3/4 day boat (either inshore, offshore, or Coronado islands). Spooled with as much 65lb PowerPro as it will hold (without overloading it, of course). Then tie on a 6' leader of either Mono or Fluorocarbon, depending on the style of fishing you're doing.

Again, I could go on and on. If you have questions, PM me. Happy to discuss. I haven't used ALL the gear on the market, but I've tried a LOT of it. I can tell you pros and cons, if you are interested.

Good luck, my friend.

8. ysmoose

ysmoose Member

Name:
    grant
    Boat:
    hobie
    Calstar 270-8h paired with torium 14

Efishient, DPevin and cortezpirasea like this.
  9. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    For just starting out keep it simple. Since I assume you won’t be throwing surface iron...Here is a suggestion:

Setup1: go to Squidco and ask them to fill the sl50sh with 30lb mono. Ask them to suggest a rod 7-8’ rated at 20-40lb mono like a Daiwa Seagate Sgt70h for $80. This is your 30lb setup.

Setup2: get a Daiwa Sealine 20 $125 or Seagate 20 $150 at Squidco and ask them to fill it with 20lb mono. While you are there grab a Daiwa vip 270 around $100. This is your 20lb setup. I also like the Okuma cortez on this rod.

If you want one rod and reel:
    Penn fth25n / Daiwa Proteus PRTB76MH or PRTB80MH.

**i do not work for Squidco or Daiwa :-)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. got_fishhead

got_fishhead Newbie

Name:
    Lucky
    Boat:
    ss minow

… Hey Joey, thanks for the advice :)

can I get you some water or soda ?

MRC70 and cortezpirasea like this.
  11. Paulo Grandez

Paulo Grandez Member

Name:
    Paulo
    Boat:
    N/A
  12. ColdEye

ColdEye Newbie

Name:
    Ranie
    Boat:
    Paper
    Thanks for all the tips, time to digest all of this. So it seems spinning gear isn't a good choice? I will be on the lookout for toriums, Komodos, sealines and the such. The Komodo is getting my interest, a low profile BC for offshore stuff. How about a shimano trevala xxh? Saw one locally for pretty cheap. Thanks again this is all good stuff I can ponder about. Will be making trips to squidco and Turners to see what deals they have.

13. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    Untrue.

Did an 8-day last season fishing mostly spinners including the BG6500. Casting lures, live bait, and yoyo-ing irons.
    https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/alan-tani-2018-soa-8-day.702003/

Certainly doable for a 3/4-day and have done so.

It requires a different set of techniques.

Retrieving something from 200-300 ft requires a bit more work; with bigger fish, lift-n-retrieve is required because spinners are very unsuitable as winches unlike convention reels. The rail could be used if the fish is straight down and there's sufficient rocking of the boat (retrieve on the down swing), BUT the rod rests on the side opposite to the crank...very awkward; no rail use when the fish is making runs away from the boat.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  14. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I like the diawa seagate idea. I have used one in the kelp for a while now and it is still doing it's job happily...

15. ColdEye

ColdEye Newbie

Name:
    Ranie
    Boat:
    Paper
    So I am thinking of getting the Okuma cerdros for the rod, and most likely the Komodo 4xx or penn fathom. For a second rod for lighter stuff maybe a bg6500 I can get one for cheap, or a spheros SW. Again the rod will probably be a cedros.

Double checked my daiwa sl50sh, tried to open it up, it's full of black sludge /grease. In my infinite wisdom I didn't take pictures as I went along. This will be a fun weekend trying to put this back together.

16. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    ColdEye likes this.
  17. ColdEye

ColdEye Newbie

Name:
    Ranie
    Boat:
    Paper
    Thank you for that, that will help a lot. Also seeing lexa 400s for about $160. Very tempting.

18. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC
    i have conventional sabre golden (old school, 7' 20-50 lb) to go under $100
    fresh ceramic guides...
    it would make a great 30-40lb bait rod, dropper loop, and yoyo and jig caster

lot of backbone for those big homeguard yellowtail
    soft tip for those big halibut headshakes and white seabass

i'm in san diego, let me know if interested...

sabre 20-50.jpg

19. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC
    if you are buying new, remember Fred Hall show, fishermen's landing, Squidco (don't know about Turners) all have great show discount specials that are worth the wait

squid, for example, has fathers day gift certificates ($500 cert for $400) and 'out the door' show specials that usually include full spool spectra and discounts

spinning gear is fine if you like it (casts fly-lined sardines a mile and plenty tough) - but i would stick with highend larger saltwater shimano spinners and 15-20lb, 25lb line class

personally, if cash is limited, i would buy top quality used over mediocre new any day (mediocre gear has a low resale potential and it generally doesn't last long) - you can always sell and trade top-shelf gear later as you figured it out

but time is on your side, it's off season now for used and the dealer sales are a coming...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  20. Amadeus

Amadeus Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Wai Jung
    Boat:
    Seahawk II
    You will also need:
    1. Carbontex drag set
    2. Cal's Universal Drag Grease
    3. Blue marine grease of some kind (Penn blue grease will do too)
    4. CorrosionX, ReelX, or TSI321
    5. Maybe bearings if the existing ones are corroded
    Looks like Squidco may have everything you need:
    http://www.squidcofishing.com/SMOoOTH-DRAG_c820.htm

(And no, I do not work for Squidco either.)

Then, here's how to apply that list:
    http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=42.0

ColdEye and geebee like this.