Rod and Reel Combo for Flat fall Jigs

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by No Cal Lou, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    Would like to hear what rod and Reel combos are being used on 5 to 8 day SD trips.

2. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Any rod and reel combo that you would use for yoyo fishing works great. Being a reactionary bite, I fish a Penn 114HN set to 12lbs of drag loaded with spectra and a 4' leader of 60 or 80 florocabon for abrasion resistance on a Calstar GF 700H or an XH. Here is an older video showing the technique that may help.

nmthree likes this.
  3. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Saltiga 40LD 2-speed, UC Predator.

4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I like fishing the 100 gram with a 6470, 40 lb, Penn 30LD2. My only tuna fish was a 27 lb Yellowfin that I got last year on the drop. When it stopped sinking around 50-60 feet, figured I was bit. Went into gear and started winding. There ya go.

Unable to get one in January on the 14 day. Just a month ago we made a few drifts for Rockfish on the way home from an 8 day. I quit on the two hook rig and went with a 250 gram Fall Flat (the knock-off) I was casting off the downwind corner on the "wrong" side" and as we drifted and as the jig sunk out I was getting them straight up and down on the corner.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    I see the logic in using a heavier rig for the flat fall, that said, I had great success last year at this time on schoolie tuna (not the big ones) with my 30lb rig. At the time it was a Calstar 700M with an Okuma Andros 5II (original). Easily caught my limit using the 100g Flat Fall and the 100g Colt Sniper with a 6/0 Owner Stinger Siwash (don't forget about that one!). If the bigger models are on the meter, definitely go heavier though.

-Connor

6. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Avet HX 5/2, 50# mono over 65# braid, on a Terramar TMC-76XHB. As the others said, any good yo-yo outfit will work. Stay alert, most of the bites come on the fall and the jigs are quickly spit. I have bite marks on several lures that I've never fought a fish on, I missed the hits.

IronMikeAC and Bill W like this.
  7. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    I would love to hear how people are fishing these. Are you casting them out or just dropping them off the side?

I was using an 80 lb dropper-type rig for the straight drop of the 7 oz (200 gram) flat fall, and an 8 foot casting rig 40-50 lb for the lighter ones. This past weekend, each of these was equally ineffective.

8. bob1825

bob1825 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I was out on the Vagabond this past weekend and asked one of the deckhands this exact question. He said that it didn't matter because the fish were deep and it was a reactionary bite so go as heavy as possible. Never got to test out the theory though.

9. Chris Penning

Chris Penning Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Total Ho
    I hooked a YFT last year on a 100g on an Avet JX with 40 mono topshot over 50 braid. Like many said, picked mine up on the drop. Missed one as well. It kinda goes slack, which it also does on a disernable pattern as it flutters down. You definitely need to pay attention. Good luck.

Chris

10. SandChark

SandChark Hooked Up

Name:
    SandChark
    Boat:
    None
    I don't always fish with flat fall jigs, but when I do I don't worry too much about the rod and reel combo. I don't believe these need a jigging rod sized to the weight of the jig like a knife jig does. I put the jig on heavier line if we are YT fishing where the ole' mossy backs want to head back to the rocks... offshore with non-cow tuna it doesn't matter too much. Have used several different reel/rod combos with equal success.

Some kid "talked" my brother and I into this "hot" new flat fall jig several years ago and of course since it was the day before we left on a LR trip, we "had" to have the hottest jig. Turned out we were the only ones on that boat with them that trip... they got a few chuckles out of the crew and others since we didn't really do anything but drop them in the water. Then we hit a slow bite drift and the flat falls were killing them, and when we were bringing most of the fish on the boat they were like... what kind of jigs are those? Do you have any spares? The point being the jigs were easy to use since we just got them and had no experience using them.

Since then they have been a regular go to jig for me. Sometimes they work great, sometimes they work just like all the other jigs in the water, and sometimes they don't get bit. I have experienced them getting hit on the drop, on the retrieve, and also on the slide. Great for fishing the shady side of the boat. They work just as well if you cast them out to a paddy and let them drop out away from the boat. The yellow glow has produced the best for me, but the others have done well too (yeah, all the colors hooked me in spite of the fish not caring so much).

The older ones have green Dacron line that don't seem to hold up that well, but not sure how many fish one can expect to chew on any braid before it starts getting weak. I use the jigs as they are out of the box, but watch them closely and then replace the line/hooks when needed.

My2cents... pay close attention to the slack on the drop, when in doubt set the hook. A swing and a miss is no big deal, you just free spool and let it keep dropping.

Bill W likes this.
  11. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I can't catch a cold with a Flat Fall.
    The differance between my flat fall jigs and the rest of my jigs are TEETH MARKS.
    IMO, they catch anglers. LOL

12. rdrblck66

rdrblck66 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Shogun and RP
    Penn Torque 40nld paired with a UC 7'6 Predator.

13. Outhouse

Outhouse I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jon Scobey
    Boat:
    Titanic
    The key to the Flat Fall, is first add a cricket to the hooks :rockin:. Ive had good success with them. You normally get bit on the fall and it is key to stay in contact with the lure but no so much that you impede its falling action. I cast mine way out but reel up to keep my line straight to the lure. I raise the rod tip and slowly let it down while reeling up slack.

backlashjack likes this.
  14. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    That only works for rainbow tuna, I find stink bait superior for catfish tuna.

15. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Lou,

I used 50 lbs. on a 7465ML with a SST8 just last month. It was effective for YT. As stated before, whatever you use for yoyo will work for flat fall. It is extremely easy to fish. Cast in and let fall to desired depth; point at water, quickly see-saw rod tip up to about 11 o'clock and let fall; repeat. It is not a subtle bite.

- Jeff Burroughs

16. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    Not with Yellowtail it isn't!

I have missed so many tuna on the drop, it has become one of my nightmares. BIG tuna at Clarion and Hurricane. Smaller bluefin offshore. Somehow I don't keep in close enough touch with the sinking lure, and I don't notice it stopping in time.

Now to be clear, this is my problem, and isn't meant to contradict Jeff in any way. Just about everyone picks this up quickly, with just a little practice. So far, I haven't.

>:(

Elesky likes this.
  17. dtf

dtf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    22ft, Pursuit
    Not sure about this, you have missed so many tuna on the drop, yet you don't notice it stopping in time, how to you know your even bit???

18. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    No worries, Jim. I agree the flat fall bite can be less obvious with Bluefin. I feel the bite and miss them too (if it make you feel any better).

À bientôt mon ami,

- Jeff Burroughs

19. Rodless_Jim

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    A tout a l'heure.

20. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    Just an observation... Shimano has got more than their share of very expensive jigs and sometimes that means the rod and reels specific to fish them. Still not sold here that I need any of them IMO...

I may change my mind later but for now I think I will wait out this one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.