Rocky Point finally blessed the Avon

PENN

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Short:
    Rocky Point gives up a decent tail on a Tady 45 holographic mack pattern.
    10-9-16, no swell, little breeze, 65 ish water, little current, early AM bite. Lotsa "Pencil Pike" and calicos present. Yellow was 21lbs on bathroom scale, stomach contents 2 small pelagic finfish. Caught on a Daiwa sealine-x and Penn Sabre, 30lb line. The sealine handle broke, I recommend you rethink using the stock handle.

Long Version:
    Well, after looking at "Lake Placid" for the past two weeks, I could stand it no longer. Saturday night I told the woman, "I'm going fishin". I woke at 3, went back to bed swearing to sleep for just another hour, and rewoke at 4am. Out to load the boat, motor, gas, and rods in the car. I filled up the tank, thinking it was going to be more of a MPG test run than anything.

I get down to the SBLR in King Harbor to find only one other launcher there, calm conditions, and full nighttime darkness. Remembering I brought no flashlight, I also regretted the candybar surface iron and fresh bottle of pro-cure I forgot at home on the TV. By the time I was all set up, it was first light. I jumped in hoping maybe I could score some live bait. I found nobody home at the receiver. "Whatever" As I pulled the u-turn to leave the harbor, I see the Indian preparing to exit. I let them go first, and figured I could race them to the point. Well, I forgot to start navionics, so after ducking into their wake a time or two I laid on the throttle and booked over to Rocky Point.

At about Topaz Jetty I passed the Indian. I squirted on as fast as the flopping roll up floor would allow, and found myself at Rocky Point almost totally alone. There was no one on the point. I looked back, and saw the Indian about a mile behind me. One or two boats were inshore of me, so I puttered around for a while figuring out a game plan. I had NO bait. Live or dead. I thought about the prospect of making macks, but I saw no bait puddling, and a couple of probes with an AA single tail failed to illicit any subsurface interest.

Well, I opted for a fallback plan. Lobster pots were present. I figured that any feeding fish would be clustered in the general area of the string of floats that crosses the point. I worked the skunk off with a single sandie early on, on the same AA tail. Then it came to me. What if I put a couple lures back and putted around to locate a little life? Out came a Tady 45 mack pattern for the 30lb rod, and a colt sniper for the 20lb. By then I had drifted a 1/2 mile south, and the sun was peeking up over P.V. I pointed roughly back to mid-way between the red bouy and the point, and was clocking about 3 mph on the Navionics speedo. I must have been pointed up current. Getting back to the point took a little more motoring than I thought. I resolved to watch the rods.

I'm looking at the 30lb rod tip's wobbling, thinking "wonder what that tady looks like at this speed?" when I see a little twitch, followed by major bendo! I pluck the rod from its place in my oarlocks, and take a test pull on it. A heavy customer pulled at the other end. I thought about clearing the other line, and decided "nope, got bigger fish to fry". I had no idea what was on the other end. Being a realist, I thought it was probably a pesky BSB. Then, a cap on my daiwa sealine x40sha handle pops off the handle. Well, it worsened. Both caps popped off, a spring popped out, the end of the spring skewered me in a finger, and the handle popped off it's spindle. I shoved it back on and continued. By this time, about 4
    mins into the fight, I'm wondering WTF kinda fish it is, and whether its at color yet. I look down, and see in the distance a beautiful silvery silhouette, and know its the Avon's first yellowtail. I consider how to get it in the boat without a gaff, and realize it shouldn't be that hard. The fish lifts up to the surface, I grab for a gillplate instead of the jig, and hoist it in. By the time I see how big she is, I realize I don't need any more fish for the day, and I can get back in early.

Well, I love fishing. So, I figured I still had productive water on the way back to the dock. Jigs go back in, and I keep working my way around the point. I nailed a 3lb calico on the tady rounding the point. Now. before you think "Wow, how easy that was!", I hung up the sniper a couple times on stops. I hung up both jigs a couple times on kelp. I had to dodge lobster floats. I had to re-rig the 30 lb rod with a Penn 500 with an intact handle. I had to avoid the rest of the boaters and their chum-zone areas.

I also stack two rods crossways in oarlocks of a boat less than 9 feet long. So, after I rounded the point, when the 20lb rod bent into a spaghetti noodle, and peeled off a couple runs, I struggled a little to free it from the oarlocks. By that time, whatever had a new sniper for lip jewelry had broken off and gone. I retied an Ahi Deception anchovy that SabaSlayer swears by, and proceeded to get harassed by pencil-pikes as I headed down towards Malaga Cove.

By then I had it down to a science. I just kept motoring while I reeled in the cudas, and left the second rod in its oarlock. I got a couple doubles on the pencils. Hitting Malaga, I turned back to the harbor to see what top speed I could get going downswell. Navionics registered a best of 19 MPH for my rig, which is about what I expected. I have yet to refill the tank, but I figure it is about the usual 8 mpg.

As I drove home I called the wife. I told her "put stained shirts on all of our boys, I need help unloading." Only one really dove into the task. Very good quality ceviche soon followed. I feel truly blessed with a tasty fish.

-Mike

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Killswitch

Jun 18, 2015
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    23' Sea Pro WA
    Nice! I've always wondered about trolling surface irons, but just never tried it. What speed were you dragin' the 45?

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

• Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Thank you guys! I appreciate the comments. Russell, 2.5 to 3.4 mph. Trick is you don't want to go fast enough for it to spin and create line twist. Drop the jig out short first to see how it swims, and if it swims right, drop it all the way back.

-Mike

Upvote 0

sulla

Jan 1, 2007
    Torrance CA
    Name
    Sulla
    Boat
    Party Boat Near You
    Congratulations on a quality yellow! That's a real feat considering you had no bait and basically a spur of the moment trip! Enjoy your tastey ceviche and kudos on a morning well spent.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

• Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Thanks Sulla,

You know I've been trying to get out fishing. Qualifies as my best solo trip this year so far. You up for bassin tonight?

-Mike

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

Great report, nice Yellow!!

Upvote 0

IrieMitch

Waterman
    May 18, 2010
    Newport Beach, CA
    Name
    Mitch
    Boat
    Captain of Papa's Haven (52' Cabo), Thunderbird Sportfishing
    I love how much experimentation can pay off in finishing. If you have a feeling or idea, go for it, look what can happen. Nice work brother! This should keep you fired up for awhile!

Upvote 0

jimu

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2011
    bellflower ca usa
    Name
    jim unger
    Boat
    stike zone
    I'm going to take live squid to rocky point tomorrow (Monday ),
    just wondering how deep of water you were in when you caught your yellow

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

• Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Hey Guys,

Hemingway!
    LOL, not even close, but muchos thanks yous anyways!

And thanks to Flomar & LACSAFD!

Was the tady 45 Mack pattern the green Mack pattern? I can't seem to find just a regular mackerel pattern.
    It was a Holographic green mack pattern 45!

You can always call the redondo sportfishing office for bait info...
    310-372-2111
    I tried that this weekend. If no answer, keep trying. Mike shows up at 5:30am, best bet is to bait up at the same time or after the Indian does.

Alby, did you ever work as a deckhand on the Special for Glen back in 1990?

I'm going to take live squid to rocky point tomorrow (Monday ),
    just wondering how deep of water you were in when you caught your yellow
    There's a little 10 fathom dropoff that runs around the point. It was close to that, between the point and the bouy. But keep in mind that it was a full week+ ago, and I caught it on the surface. I saw no sign this weekend. But that's another saga.

Keep me posted if any of you get out there with squid, eh?

Best Regards,
    Mike

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    Alby, did you ever work as a deckhand on the Special for Glen back in 1990?
    No..occasionally did the city to visit with Jason and mason and the Kiaora and Indiana up at Santa Monica well before that but otherwise I didn't do much 3/4 and 1/2 day.. Didn't even go to redondo much except to fish with Gary on the blackjack...

Upvote 0