Rocky Point Black Sea Bass (Released) 11/18/17

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Arnold Castaneda, Nov 18, 2017.

1. JustOneCast

JustOneCast Arnold

Name:
    A CAST
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 "BloodCo"
    11/18/17
    I met my buddies Mike and Edwin at MDR launch around 515am. We stopped by the bait barge and picked up a scoop of anchovy to go with the frozen squid I already had. On the ride south I asked Edwin when the last time he went fishing.
    His response was "I have never been fishing" !o_O
    I was amazed that at 30 years old he had never been fishing, but this gave us a goal of getting him some fish. His FIRST FISH EVER!
    Pulled up to the first spot of the morning. Small rock pile just outside the kelp at 60ft. Baited up Edwin with a couple 4 inch anchovies on a dropper and he let it go to the bottom. Within a few seconds he was hooked up and the rod was bent. First I thought he was caught in kelp until the line started ripping out. After a good fight we saw color and realized it was a Black Sea Bass.
    Quickly got it to the boat, Removed the hook, quick picture and got it back in the water to release. I explained to him they are protected and this was probably a 5 year old fish. 36" from nose to tail. What an amazing fish for Edwin's first angling experience. The rest of the day was great with solid rockfishing for all of us and a nice sand bass. The bites never stopped. Took home some fish for dinner and off the water by 230pm. Sunny, Small Swell, Light Winds
    Perfect November Day in Southern California:appl:

IMG_6870.JPG IMG_6873.JPG IMG_6872.JPG IMG_6910.JPG IMG_6905.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. 4bruce

4bruce Member

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    goldfish
    Are you sure still alive when you release it?

kevina likes this.
  3. JustOneCast

JustOneCast Arnold

Name:
    A CAST
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 "BloodCo"
    Yes 4bruce ,
    Handled it quickly, got it back in the water.
    Kicked out of my hands and headed back down into the kelp.

4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    bieber

shamitch74, SoCalAvet and crabdancer like this.
  5. Croaker.Stroker

Croaker.Stroker Old White Guy

Name:
    Croaker
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Pacer
  6. mcrae

mcrae I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    McRae
    Boat:
    none
    If he is on BD this may get interesting.

SoCalAvet likes this.
  7. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    I think you are not to remove BSB from water.
    Great report.
    looked fun.

8. ja73

ja73 Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    Arima SC16
    Yeah it's prohibited to take them out of the water and should have been released in the water.
    But hey great first catch though!
    Hopefully your buddy gets addicted to fishing

Arnold Castaneda likes this.
  9. Capt.C.Delany

Capt.C.Delany Club a Sea Lion, not a Sandwich.

Name:
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat:
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    This is from an old article from the LA Times "ask F & G"

Fish and Game Q&A: May a photo be taken with a 'no-take' fish before it is released?
    February 10, 2011 | 2:32 pm
    [​IMG] In support of the California Department of Fish and Game and its effort to keep hunters and anglers informed, Outposts, on Thursday or Friday, posts marine biologist Carrie Wilson's weekly Q&A column:

Question: I fish in Southern California and have a question about black sea bass. I know they are illegal to keep when caught. However, when they are caught while targeting other species, what is the regulation for releasing them? After the hook is removed and swim bladder punctured, may a picture be taken with the fish out of the water before it is released? I am under the impression they may not be removed from the water. I ask because a friend of mine accidentally caught a small black sea bass (about 30 lbs.) and after removing the hook and puncturing the swim bladder, he held it up and posed for a quick picture with the fish. I told him I didn’t think that was legal and he argued it was. He did release the fish immediately after the photo was taken, and the fish swam off, apparently unharmed. I’ve searched the website for clarification, but have found nothing. Can you please clarify this issue for me? We are very conscientious fisherman. (Dave L.)

Answer: Giant (black) sea bass and other no-take species cannot be retained and must be released immediately. Therefore, holding the fish out of the water for a picture is unlawful. The best-case scenario for the fish would be to cut the line while it is still in the water.

The definition of "take" is to "hunt, pursue, catch, capture or kill" an animal, or to attempt to do so (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 1.80). So, by catching the fish, reeling it in, taking it off the hook and holding it up for a picture, your friend has "taken" a prohibited species. He also did not release it immediately as required.
    Department of Fish and Game associate marine biologist Ed Roberts published a great article on best practices for releasing rockfish, giant sea bass and other fish with swim bladders that inflate at the surface, thus preventing them from descending successfully following capture. The article was published in the January/February 2005 issue of Outdoor California magazine, available online at www.dfg.ca.gov/ocal/archives/J_F_05_16-19.pdf.

Needles and sharp objects should never be used to deflate a fish’s swim bladder. Even though the fish may be able to descend below the surface following a puncture, many will still die because of internal damage and/or the introduction of bacteria caused by the needles.

johnny12fish likes this.
  10. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Probably do the spiral spin back to where it was hooked. Why go fishing if you don't know to regulations. Maybe fish and game needs people to do a online course on fish and game regs, When you purchase your annual fishing license, If you fish often, chances are you would pass the test without any studying in a breeze. I see people all the time coming back to the ramp/dock with under size, over limits and Out if season and not having a F...ing clue. You never see the Fish and game or fish and wild life (whatever you want to call them) when you need them?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  11. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    my understanding is that they dont do well after being handled. looks like it was more than a quick pic and release to me...more like let it flop on deck for a minute, pick it up take a few pics and release. that fish probably wont survive.
    i dive at cat and love seeing the big ones swim past, beautiful fish, the gaint ones have little or no fear of humans and will swim right up to you.

johnny12fish and Mtnfshr like this.
  12. JustOneCast

JustOneCast Arnold

Name:
    A CAST
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 "BloodCo"
    Thanks for posting this article.
    I was aware they were to be released right away but was unaware a picture was a bad idea.
    In the future we will cut the line. The fish still had a lot of energy and swam away strong on his own.

pacificscout likes this.
  13. bunske123

bunske123 Newbie

Name:
    bun
    Boat:
    idk
    Lol. Should have said ...you caught it in mexico hsha jk.

14. JustOneCast

JustOneCast Arnold

Name:
    A CAST
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 "BloodCo"
    LOL:cheers::Rambo_Throwing_Kniv

wils likes this.
  15. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    welllll....at least you washed the blood off the multiple gaff holes and the deck before taking the pictures. :D

16. JustOneCast

JustOneCast Arnold

Name:
    A CAST
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 "BloodCo"
    :imdumb:Funny.
    I lifted over the rail and removed the hook. Next time I know just cut the line. Still was a cool first catch for my friend. Of course we weren't targeting , wish it was a Halibut!

RockyGizmo and wils like this.
  17. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    You were cool till right about here . . .

1395891_dca8cbd24aa8ceebb2971f3f5d316e79.jpg

. . . live and learn

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  18. Sandydog

Sandydog Member

Name:
    John Kim
    Boat:
    n/a
    The current saltwater regulations are 76 pages, with a 28 page supplement, along with an addendum of changes made mid-year, and extensive maps of all the MPAs (each with their own unique set of rules). There is no way anyone short of a computer can "know" the regulations. And CDFW appears to have eliminated the handy PDF version you could download onto your tablet or phone so you could look something up with the search function while on the water. (I picked up the printed booklets at the Fred Hall show.)

On top of that, their resources for identifying the species of fish (especially the myriad of rockfish) is woefully inadequate. Their species identification site is laid out to make the job easier for the (lazy) site author. A species identification site made to improve compliance with the law would be arranged as a flowchart, asking you questions about the fish (color? bars or stripes? how many dorsal spines? etc.) to eventually arrive at what exactly it is you caught. Last time I had to turn on the hotspot on my phone while on the water, link my tablet to it, and do a Google image search of our guess at the species of rockfish we were catching to figure out exactly what they were and if/how many we could keep.

I realize that the fishing regulations are made with the best of intentions, and the saying is that ignorance of the law is not an excuse. But when the law is a thick, indecipherable book, it ceases to become law and instead becomes a tool for arbitrary punishment. in China they have reams of regulations which they do not bother enforcing, unless you happen to piss off a prominent party member. Then they will use the regulations to lock you up or execute you. I "know" the rules regarding black sea bass only because of the stories I've read here, not because I read them in the CDFW regulation book.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for every person for every type of fish caught in every possible location in every possible way (see other thread about only 2 hooks per line being allowed). So since I'm not a DFG enforcement official, I cut people a little slack if they unwittingly break the rules the first time they catch a particular species. Inform them of the correct way the the fish should've been handled, but don't crucify them for making an innocent mistake. If they've been informed and they continue to break the law, then you can crucify them.

The California vehicle code is even worse. It's 1049 pages long. By your reasoning, anyone who hasn't memorized the entire thing shouldn't be driving.

bailer41, LEC, skillett and 8 others like this.
  19. JustOneCast

JustOneCast Arnold

Name:
    A CAST
    Boat:
    Cabo 216 "BloodCo"
    Yup - cut the line and let the hook rust next time.
    :deadhorse

20. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Don't sweat it.... you've now been schooled on what's considered the right way, but just to ease your mind..... they are not nearly as fragile as so many believe them to be..... I'd bet big money that fish you caught is doing just fine ;)

The unknown fisherman:p: