Rocky point 10/20

Tuna rob

May 17, 2015
Name
rob
Boat
triumph 170 cc
Went out to rocky point yesterday by myself in my 17 Ft center console. Light wind with a little bump in the morning, then cleared up and was gorgeous by 1:00. Got some perfect size sardines from San Pedro then headed out of the harbor by 6:30. Fly lined bait all day for a steady pick of bones, and some good sized calico bass. Bass bite seemed to be better tight to the kelp. Bonito were the best off Rocky point proper, but you can find schools all over. I trolled sardines until I got bit, then fly lined bait on the school. I was looking for yellows, but no love. All in all a really fun day of fishing, I like to use light gear so it’s always fun. I wish I would have taken more pics, but here is a what the average looks like. There were a few really nice 4-5 lb bass I caught right inside the kelp. If you’ve never tried it, try trolling a sardine right on top of the thick kelp stringers. It’s been good for me getting the nicer bass.

EC4B2E5B-7B25-496E-89EC-17F97FC9AD75.jpeg

56CDCC45-2A0C-4146-918A-A632239ECC26.jpeg

Upvote 0

hookupfish

Boston Whaler Outrage 18CC
Jul 21, 2008
Orange County
Name
hook up
Boat
none
Fish or no fish...it's all about getting out there and enjoy the breeze and the sun.
Nicely done. Thanks for the report.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Thanks for a local report. Those girthy bones are a hoot! Hopefully the yellows stick around the bay for a bit.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    Hey rob we fished near ya and launched next to ya. It was a nice day. Nice calico.

Upvote 0

Hey-19

Aug 31, 2020
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    barry skaggs
    Boat
    C-Dory TomCat
    Great report. Never trolled with a sardine, you must be barely mowing?

I went up to that area today (10/21). It was not wide open, but we enjoyed a steady pic of the “three b’s”, and a short WSB. The best calico bass fishing we found was on a rocky point pulling them out of the rocks in 25-40’ of water. It was so fun, we would cast out, and then slowly walk the sardine over the structure back to the boat. Often they would hit it as it went over larger rocks. (It reminded me of structure fishing with plastics for large mouth bass). There was a south wind early which laid down about 11:30, sun came out around noon, smooth ride home at 2:00.

Upvote 0

Latest posts