Rocks and Lings

Eric Tafoya

May 27, 2014
Name
Eric Tafoya
Boat Name
None
Hey guys, new to the forum. got a small boat and looking to catch some rock cod and some nice lings.
Any pointers?

Upvote 0

Eric Tafoya

May 27, 2014
Name
Eric Tafoya
Boat Name
None
we fished moss landing saturday but couldnt find rocks. ran into alot of sand dabs going to fish half moon bay or santa cruz next. live in san jose

Upvote 0

Eric Tafoya

May 27, 2014
Name
Eric Tafoya
Boat Name
None
boat distance is probably 30-40 mles but is a 22 footer and not a fishing boat so probably wont e gong to far out lol

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat Name
Boston whaler Outrage 17,Maycraft 1900
Dope is it a lake boat? I fish monterey bay a lot for rockfish and have really good luck there. Just have to watch out for the MLPA's. Are you looking for spots or technic?
boat distance is probably 30-40 mles but is a 22 footer and not a fishing boat so probably wont e gong to far out lol

Upvote 0

Eric Tafoya

May 27, 2014
Name
Eric Tafoya
Boat Name
None
yeah basicly a lake boat. just looking for spots we usually go towards the can at half moon bay but hearing good thing about monterey. just dont know where to launch or which direction to go haha

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat Name
In Monterey I launch out of breakwater.you need to pay for parking for a complete day runs you 16 bucks. You can fish in front of the aquarium off the kelp. Just remember to not pass the two yellow cans that are right off the aquarium about 20' apart of each other. Once you pass them your in a MLPA all the way to lover point. After lovers point you can fish all that kelp until you get to the point were there is a light house. Those are good spots along the kelp. If you wanna go further you can go to Carmel.

There is a lot of charters that leave from Monterey bay around 6-9am you can always follow them to find spots. Just don't get to close, they get mad be respectful and give them space.

As for gear I use live squid when it's around for the lings. You can use sandabs as well for lings. For newbies on my boat I set them up with some shrimp feathers with strips of squid on them. Or whole squid if you wanna target lings. Jigs work as well or big swimbaits with a 2-4 lead head. Bouncing off the bottom

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat Name
oh wow that close huh? how many feet deep are we talking or does it realy matter in that area?
It's ok we have all been there. That's how I learned being out constantly and asking all the locals for info!! I have caught rockfish in 50-200 feet of water. If you have the gear for it you could fish in the 300 feet of water. I've caught most of my lings on 120-200 feet.

MLPA is a marine sanctuary! Your pretty much not allowed to fish in that area. There is a map at the launch rap on the left side that clearly marks them. If you have a chart plotter it would be a good idea to punch in the numbers so you don't drift into one. Fish and game likes to watch fisherman from the shore on the binos. If they catch you fishing in one you will get a serious fine and your fish confiscated!!

Upvote 0

Eric Tafoya

May 27, 2014
Name
Eric Tafoya
Boat Name
None
oh thats right thnx bro that really helps i remember fishing from shore u cant fish from lovers point down to fishermans warf i believe but thanx for the help man maybe ill c u out there one of these days ? are rocks and lings pretty much year around or is it not worth going fishing november and december?

Upvote 0

Eric Tafoya

May 27, 2014
Name
Eric Tafoya
Boat Name
None
oh thats right thnx bro that really helps i remember fishing from shore u cant fish from lovers point down to fishermans warf i believe but thanx for the help man maybe ill c u out there one of these days ? are rocks and lings pretty much year around or is it not worth going fishing november and december?

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat Name
easy to remember from the corner when the aquarium ends until lovers point is the firs MLPA. Yea I might be out there this weekend Im in a 19' may-craft center console. Yea it's still good then I actually feel like it gets better. But I went out 2 weeks ago and it was super slow. Seemed like it was slow for a lot of people. Should pick back up. Just remember to check conditions. It can get rough out there in Monterey.

Upvote 0

lulu_mo

Tuna junkie.
Jun 18, 2009
san jose
Name
luan
Boat Name
24' maine marine pilot house chinook
It's ok we have all been there. That's how I learned being out constantly and asking all the locals for info!! I have caught rockfish in 50-200 feet of water. If you have the gear for it you could fish in the 300 feet of water. I've caught most of my lings on 120-200 feet.

MLPA is a marine sanctuary! Your pretty much not allowed to fish in that area. There is a map at the launch rap on the left side that clearly marks them. If you have a chart plotter it would be a good idea to punch in the numbers so you don't drift into one. Fish and game likes to watch fisherman from the shore on the binos. If they catch you fishing in one you will get a serious fine and your fish confiscated!!

Hello guys u can't fish deeper than 240' !. That REG. but... hehehe

Upvote 0

eliner

Almost A Member
Aug 10, 2008
PACIFIC GROVE/CA/USA
Name
DAVID
Boat Name
E-LINER
Get a map of the area, to many ticket traps all along the coast from monterey to yankee point. $8,000 fine MPLA areas. Nothing marked all GPS. You find most of the closed areas the best fishing spots to.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2013
Menifee, CA
Name
Freddy
Boat Name
Upvote 0

albycor

Jun 17, 2008
Monterey/CA
Name
Robert
Boat Name
21 ft Striper
There is some squid but not lots. loads of macks off the wharf and nearby. macks is just as good for just about everything, including ghosts.

Upvote 0

jigsaurus

• May 13, 2010
    West sonoma
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat Name
    12' plastic cod killer
    Keep a copy of dfg fishing regs in your boat. I forget size limits and what not sometimes so i always keep one for any questions. Also study this when your not fishing so you know the rules before you go out. Good luck to you and be safe.

Upvote 0