Rocking Fishing with Berkley Gulp Grub and live bait. Top or bottom hook?

Cody B

Almost A Member
Feb 21, 2018
So Cal
Name
Cody
Boat
NA
For those of you that use a Berkley Gulp Grub and a live sardine or mackerel on a dropper loop setup for rock fishing, are you putting the Gulp Grub on the bottom or top hook? Or does it even matter? I want to try it this weekend. I'm taking my son out for his 1st time rock fishing.

Reactions: stuman
Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
For those of you that use a Berkley Gulp Grub and a live sardine or mackerel on a dropper loop setup for rock fishing, are you putting the Gulp Grub on the bottom or top hook? Or does it even matter? I want to try it this weekend. I'm taking my son out for his 1st time rock fishing.
I am not a fan of live bait but I se the Berkley Gulp 6 inch curly tail in pink slime above my jigs. I have caught many doubles on this rig. Lings and reds like the pink slime and new penny color curly tails. Once my son lost a fish the curly tail came up without the tail next drift I caught the fish with the tail still in its mouth

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I would try it with the gulp on top. In theory, the small fish will create a commotion and the big fish will see it better if it is higher.

Last month we landed four ling cod. All four were on the bottom hook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
In this video you can see some chuckleheads getting interested in the commotion. One of my videos a seal and a yellowtail are checking out the action.

Upvote 0

heman

Almost A Member
Apr 23, 2008
Anaheim, CA
Name
heman
Boat
\___/
Regarding your question... I'd say top probably better as you'll have more line distance to create action with the gulp as you work it.

But...
Have you considered using a smaller flat fall or shimano new lucanus? I've had very good luck with those any time I targeted bottom fish.

For ref see post below from Bantam

Upvote 0

Latest posts