morfius

I think, therefore I fish
Feb 23, 2006
Orange County, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
na
My friend wanted to do one last rockfish trip on his boat before the season closed. Window of opportunity looked like the weather would be good for Thursday.

Launched from Cerritos Bahia Marina in LB at 6:30. Weather was awesome, with hardly any wind and flat calm seas. Cruised at 31 knots pretty much the entire way there.
IMG_3623.JPG

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3620.JPG

Got to the island by 8:45 and metered around to find some stones that were under 120ft in depth.
IMG_3624.JPG

Just enough breeze and current to make some decent drifts. Fished nothing but jigs and squid strips all day and got our 30 fish limit by 1:30. Assorted rockfish, lots of whitefish, and a few nice sheephead thrown in for good measure. Tons of fun on light tackle.
IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

It was a steady bite, and while no toads were caught, there were some quality fish. Biggest fish of the day was a 4-5lb red and a slightly smaller whitefish.
IMG_3626.JPG

Really cool spending time on the water with an old friend, with beautiful weather, and appreciating the blessings of this past year.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
That one Whitefish look like a small Yellowtail, never can find enough Reds there (SBI) seems they're always moving from pinnacle to pinnacle, and yes the weather was truly spectacular, yes indeed an EPIC trip.

Upvote 0

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
  • Sep 4, 2016
    Temecula
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Sold - so I make a great ho now
    My wife is a fan of those whitefish. Good eats.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Awesome trip. I have yet to ever fish SBI, but being that my current slip is about as close as you can get to that Island, I need to change that soon.

Shallow water rockfish are such a blast on the light gear!

Upvote 0

morfius

I think, therefore I fish
    Feb 23, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    na
    Awesome trip. I have yet to ever fish SBI, but being that my current slip is about as close as you can get to that Island, I need to change that soon.

Shallow water rockfish are such a blast on the light gear!
    Well if you ever go and need a ho, I'm your man! I like that it isn't full of people.

Upvote 0