Rockfishing Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Eman1001, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Eman1001

Eman1001 Newbie

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    Not yet...
    Hi there! I'm pretty new to rockfishing and have a couple questions. I'm going out on the Speed Twin *CISCOS* in the next couple of days. First off, I would really love to bag some larger fish, at the sacrifice of possible limits, and heard that using an Ahi Jig + dropper loop w/ plastic or squid works well. Is this too ambitious for a googan like me :p? Like I said, I'm a total noob when it comes to boat etiquette and don't wanna come off as cocky (any tips on boat etiquette would be appreciated!). Also, I read online that you can use Tadys to jig for rockfish and lings. This true? If so what size?

2. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    Don't worry about jigs if this is your first time just go with bait it works great. Do you have your own rig or will you be renting. I do alot of fishing out of Cisco's and if you ask the crew for help they will definitely. Just remeber when leaving the boat to tip the crew well. For the boat stuff just if you see someone fishing one spot and they start catching fish don't move closer to them or try to get there spot when they go get bait or what ever. Just don't be a jack ass and you will fit in just fine. Also galley food is the best in the morning.

3. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    If you're goal is to catch bigger fish, try an overnight boat after the Speed Twin. The overnight boats get to places that receive less fishing pressure than the half day boats.

For rockfishing, I like using a levelwind on a stiff tipped 30-40# rod. The levelwind is loaded with 50# spectra that I've recycled from my pelagic reels. After I've threaded the spectra through the guides, I connect it to a swivel and a 3-5 leader of floro to the other end of the swivel (floro for better abrasion resistance). This ridging gives me a lot of "feel" even 300' feet deep and the levelwind makes bringin gup all the spectra easier on my desk jockey hands. You may already know this, but in case as a self-described newbie you don't, this is the set-up I use.

RiggingSoCal and medicidela like this.
  4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    "larger" is a relative word. In this case - a 1/2 day RF trip - "larger" might mean 8" instead of 6". :D
    What other saltwater fishing have you done? If you've already experienced other types of sw fishing, do this ONE 1/2 day trip then - as Brad said - go directly to overnighting. Leaving out of CIH/Ventura, the overnighters will get you your bigger RF in easy limit-style fishing AND get you a decent chance of lingcod, WSB, YT, halibut pending seasons and moon cycles.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  5. MAG0121

MAG0121 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    Doubling up with a heavier iron (Tady 4/0, diamond jig, Ahi Assassin, etc.) and a swimsuit or squid on a dropper loop up above is a long proven technique. The key is to get your spacing down (don't put them too far apart) and to be sure you're quick on the lift after your jig touches bottom. The beauty of rock fishing is there is no limit to the weird crap they'll eat if in the mood. Give it a try and if it's not working, go back to a typical dropper loop bait setup.

6. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    I do not like using a shrimpfly above a jig. If you get a smaller rockfish on the fly, it can ruin the action of the jig. Likewise, I do not put bait on my jig .... small fish will attack it. Fish bait or jig, but do not combine. Also, big baits do equal bigger fish.

medicidela and the SLIDER like this.
  7. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    I might have to disagree with Steve ^

There are tons of rigs out there that are simple and inexpensive. Don't rule out the effectiveness of a shrimp fly with squid....I have seen these frequently catch large rockfish and lingcod while I'm fishing jigs next to that person and not get a bite. Coincidentally larger jigs will likely catch larger fish.

What I have found that consistently works (if you must use a lure) are fishtraps (3"-4") with jigheads on a dropper loop set up (sinker at the bottom). It's a bigger presentation that keeps smaller rockfish away.

One thing I would echo that was mentioned before is if it's just for rockfish, use a very small amount of mono (5-6ft is fine). And don't over think it, spectra to a swivel allows you to easily swap out rigs if you break off or want to mix it up. You can always keep a half limit and then specifically use larger lures to target bigger fish.

I caught these recently on an overnight on the PacDawn...note the fish trap for the Chucklehead, shrimp fly for the red (both tipped with squid) and sinker at the bottom.

[​IMG]

8. Idatuna

Idatuna Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Bog Jumper
    I kinda side with Walkerman. I don't like to mix jigs and flies/squids. I fish one or the other. An 8" power grub with a 6 or 8 oz lead head works well. Iron in chrome or white also works well.

9. azbaseball

azbaseball Member

Name:
    mike de vito
    Boat:
    20ft nitro
    All good tips. I would speak with a deck hand on the way out on what to rig. if you are going local than the two hook setup is easy. if they say use a 10 oz weight use a 12. the extra weight will keep you straight up and down. Fishing shallow water ( less then 150 ft. ) you can use less weight. Normally I fish the new hustler out of hooks. I fish jigs in the bow. I love the 200 gram flat falls in glow and pink or tangerine colors. Plastic work great. I tend to use the gulp curly tail 6 inch in pink slime color on a big 10/0 straight shank hook. the jig on the bottom and the teaser about 10 inches above. Remember rock fish or bottom fish have their eyes on the top of their head. They tend to hold tight to the bottom and look up. if you are fishing a jig make sure it is heavy enough to sink to the bottom quickly or the current will carry it away and never reach the fishing zone. Same thing with weights if you are bait fishing. At the landing pick up some 16 oz 12 oz and 8 oz weights. if the boat is anchored and you are not in the stern your rig will go towards the back along the boat. This is where the tangles occur and the hard feelings come out if some one loses a fish in a tangle. If you get in a tangle let the crew do their job and listen to them when they say reel in your line. The heavier weights will keep it closer to the bottom and straight up and own. If you are planning on bait fishing go to the fish market and pick up a couple of pounds of baby squid. The boat will have squid and maybe live bait. The squid will be cut up for everyone use. Bringing your own will allow you to use the whole squid on the top hook. You would be surprised at how many larger fish you catch that way. Lastly they already spoke about the braid. so I will bring up hooks. I recommend you purchase several different size circle hooks. You do not set a circle hook. the fish will come tight and hook themselves. DO NOT SET THE HOOK. when a fish bites just reel slowly and it will set the hook. Different sizes for different fish types. If they are fishing for white fish make sure you have short shank number 2 or 4 hooks.. If they are targeting the larger rock fish I.E. blue bass, reds or grouper a #4/0 will be good. So to end my rant. Speak and watch Speak to the crew they will help you out. Watch the other fisherman and see what they are doing. best way to learn. Tipping: was brought up. as a newbies tipping is something that gets you attention. If you have the mates setup your rod (recommended first time) give the kid five spot and say thank you. At the end of the trip give the mates what you think they are worth. They are there to help and get paid by the boat for that but they are there to help you remember that they have 20 or more fishermen o the boat so if they are not standing next to you they are helping someone else. Fish cleaning they will charge you for it but it is still a way to show your gratitude of their hard work by tipping. Look around some of the older guys on fixed incomes will give them a 20 spot. That is a lot of money for them. You can do the same or more (more is better) they will remember you the next time out. Also I as close learn the names of the crew Mates and cooks on the way out. When you speak to them use their name it means a lot. Have a blast.

10. Dark seas

Dark seas Newbie

Name:
    Dark Seas
    Boat:
    No
    Guy must know them because he said to tip well.

11. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    When it comes to gangions, I prefer those with circlehook shrimpflies.

wils likes this.
  12. Eman1001

Eman1001 Newbie

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    Not yet...
    Thanks a ton for the tips guys, really appreciate it!!! To clarify, I’ve been on a couple 1/2 days before (hence wanting to try jigs) but still feel a tad out of place haha, also, I’m fishing a Lexa 400 on a Protus w/ 65 braid and #40 topshot @wils - I’ve fish mostly freshwater my whole life but do visit the pier and local beaches frequently!

13. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    It's not because I know them well it's because I've been in there shoes. It's can be a pain dealing with people especially if it's bad weather or bad fishing.

14. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    You can ask inside what jigs are working at the time. Diamond jigs always work well and the crew can show you how to "jig" them. The crew is your friend.

cochetrigo likes this.
  15. cochetrigo

cochetrigo Newbie

Name:
    Carr
    Boat:
    12 ft. Aluminum Valco
    Agreed. Using the swimbaits with the leadhead seems to produce the same results for me. Also, One of the best jigs to use is a simple 10-12 oz chrome jig of any kind. Fish looking or not. putting a strip of squid on it seems to work too. The key is that you don't allow it to rest on the bottom once it hits. You will surely lose it. Reel up a few cranks and then jig it.

16. cochetrigo

cochetrigo Newbie

Name:
    Carr
    Boat:
    12 ft. Aluminum Valco
    Every fisherman has their own approach. Share info and don't act like an A-hole ( as said taking someones spot, dropping over their line, even talking about how good of gear you have). When it comes to gear we all are proud of what we have and like to BS a little. And if you have a swimbait or extra jig that is working, share it with those who are not catching. Easy way to make friends!