Rockfishing in socal.

C Train

C Train
Jan 24, 2017
Name
Chris
Boat
Intrepid, RR3, Pacific Dawn
The Santa Barbara boats (Stardust and the Coral Sea) do really well on quality rockfish and lings. Down side is its about a 3 hour boat ride to the islands. The overnight boats out of Ventura and Oxnard also do well with the opportunity for yellows and sea bass, depending on the time of year. The day boats out of Ventura and Oxnard will get you plenty of rockfish etc, but they tend to be smaller in size. Hope this helps

winnawinna17

the only thing worse than getting old... is not...
Apr 17, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Name
Tim
Boat
dreaming
I just went on an overnight trip on the seabiscuit out of ciscos.

class act crew and the reds were as big as football yellowfin tuna.

get there early or you will get a small bunk

good luck

Reactions: Noms

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
the boats from SB fish Santa Rosa and San Miguel islands. The boats out of Oxnard and Ventura harbor on the over night will also fish the same islands. The over night boats get you to the grounds at first light and fish to about 13-1400 as they travel 70 miles at times. Sb boats fish 3/4 day so with 3 hours to the island and back it leaves you with about 4 hours to fill the boat. The over night boats you will fish for 7-8 hours and fish for many different families of fish. Whitefish, reds, chuckleheads, blue bass, sheepshead, lings. The trip I was just on yesterday. The new Hustler we fish shallow and deep for limits of reds and whitefish. Just a picture of my fish

20201121_133232_resized.jpg

20201121_133241_resized.jpg

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I think bang for your buck Santa Barbara is pretty good. Just depends on what your looking for. Leave at 7, back by 5 decent grub and very consistent cod fishing

Reactions: smokinwater

kevina

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    the boats from SB fish Santa Rosa and San Miguel islands. The boats out of Oxnard and Ventura harbor on the over night will also fish the same islands. The over night boats get you to the grounds at first light and fish to about 13-1400 as they travel 70 miles at times. Sb boats fish 3/4 day so with 3 hours to the island and back it leaves you with about 4 hours to fill the boat. The over night boats you will fish for 7-8 hours and fish for many different families of fish. Whitefish, reds, chuckleheads, blue bass, sheepshead, lings. The trip I was just on yesterday. The new Hustler we fish shallow and deep for limits of reds and whitefish. Just a picture of my fish

View attachment 1226941

View attachment 1226942
    Look at those bags bulging

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    From what I have seen it looks like Santa Barbara is your best bet on size. They seem to crush big reds and ling all the time. I think the boat “coral sea” or something along those lines does really well. I’ve also been on some good rock fishing trips out of San Diego fishing around the Coronado’s
    The coral sea is a on my list of boats to ride. They definitely get on the rockfish.

Reactions: bowen405

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    San Diego trips in January and February the collonet trips 1.5 day big reds and lings if you can reach the bootom with the wind and current. Also bonus yellowtail action
    If you can do a 3 dayer, Pick one of the real Long Range Boats. Not all of the local boats (1.5 day trips) know the area's for the Jumbo Reds. Go look at past fishing reports and pictures on the L.R boats when they stopped to fish the reds outside of San Martin on their way home from down below or when they do the 3 dayers in the winter.

Reactions: azbaseball

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    If you can do a 3 dayer, Pick one of the real Long Range Boats. Not all of the local boats (1.5 day trips) know the area's for the Jumbo Reds. Go look at past fishing reports and pictures on the L.R boats when they stopped to fish the reds outside of San Martin on their way home from down below or when they do the 3 dayers in the winter.
    I concur

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
    California
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    N/A
    Go further north to Morro Bay. Will beat any of the other spots mentioned except for San Martin and maybe San Miguel. But visiting San Martin on a Long Range will cost you an arm and a leg and visiting San Miguel is weather based.

Latest posts