skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Some info I just received back from the CCFRP that you guys might find interesting.

Caught a red a week or 3 ago. Found a tag in it's back covered in moss. Fish was a healthy 16" specimen with no effects from the tag. Decent fight for it's size. Sent the size, weight, GPS#'s, date... etc to the CCFRP. Here's what they sent back...

The Vermilion Rockfish you caught with the ID 23151. It was originally tagged on 7/18/2017 off La Jolla in 112 feet of water. At that time, the fish was 33 cm (13 in.) in length. Since being tagged and released, the fish grew about 7.6 cm (3 in.), spent 1119 days at liberty, and was caught about .5 miles from where it was originally released.

Pretty cool and gives some idea on the rate of growth. Now it was caught both times in the summer so who knows if it migrated further during the winter months.

I've been on these tagging trips before so it's cool to see first hand the on-going progress of this research. I would of released it after gaining info from the tag but unfortunately I didn't notice it until it was time to gut and gill. Will double check for these from now on.

Here's a pic of the tag. It's located up towards the dorsal fin. Thought this might be helpful as some anglers might mistake it for a parasite. The growth easily comes off by scraping it with your fingernail. ID number and phone number printed on the tag not shown.

20200810_161413.jpg
    20200810_161458.jpg
    20200810_161754.jpg

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    what was the “reward”?

cool to have info

Upvote 0

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    what was the “reward”?

cool to have info

It varies. Earlier in the research I remember you were put in a drawing for a number of different prizes. I actually won a hat for this one. The real prize is the data collected to better manage our resource. Knowing the guys doing this research I'm betting they wont screw us over like other special interest, agenda driven, "science".

Reactions: mike mitchell
    Upvote 0