Rockfish Spots Near the Golden Gate?? Please Help.

DougG

Oct 1, 2018
Mountain View, CA
Name
Doug Gambetta
Boat
Key West
My son is home for a short weekend from school and we want to give rockfish a go near the Golden Gate Bridge. We are newbies to boating and don't want to venture too far out the gate. I've heard that there are spots in Bonita Cove or just around Bonita Point? Any help on pointing to specific spots or how to find good rocky spots on the fish finder is greatly appreciated!!

Upvote 0

airslot

Jun 1, 2005
n. ca
Name
Tom La
Boat
Mako 184
Directly in front of the light house and around it but someone needs to stay at the wheel and don’t turn off the motor.

Why not HMB? More structure and the Ritz is 5 miles south. Even the green and red marker buoys are some times productive.

Good luck

Reactions: esgeo
Upvote 0

Norcalfish80

Almost A Member
Aug 24, 2011
California
Name
Austin
Boat
Boston Whaler Montauk
Yeah GG is fine for rock fishing. Just find structure on FF and drop down. Depending on what you're running, I've heard people have been doing alright at DP as well. Lot farther than Bonita though.

Upvote 0

Eastcapedon

Almost A Member
Jul 1, 2008
San Jose California
Name
Donald
Boat
Independence
I'm going out on a crab/rockfishing combo trip 11/3 on the party boat Lovely Martha and know very little about rockfishing. I have many rods and reels for long range fishing out of San Diego. Can you recommend rods and reels, spectra #... Thanks. Don

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I'm going out on a crab/rockfishing combo trip 11/3 on the party boat Lovely Martha and know very little about rockfishing. I have many rods and reels for long range fishing out of San Diego. Can you recommend rods and reels, spectra #... Thanks. Don

It's the same as down south, But a little bit heavier weights and usually a liitle more current. Bring a 20lb reel with 6-7' pole to match and a 30-40lb and a pole to match. Or use straight 65lb spectra. You can buy the ganions and shrimp flies at any landing up their. Bring an assortment of 8-16oz Jigs for rock cod. Those crab/cod trips are fun to do, the rockfish are on the smaller side, but you will come back with 10 cods and 10 crabs. Dress Warm, That cold ass wind will go right through ya.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0