Rockfish - Caught on video

kwonsoo

Jun 18, 2008
San Jose, CA USA
Name
Jack
Boat
20' SeaCraft Master Angler
That was some cool video. I too would like to see the sled. How do you keep it form getting snagged on the bottom?

Rambo17

Apr 3, 2015
Name
Sam
Boat
Hobie ProAngler 14
Epic footage of the structures, fishes, and impressive work with the clarity of the underwater coverage!

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Way way cool!

grayghost13

Apr 25, 2008
Seal Beach
Name
Greg
Boat
Malibu Kayak
These are amazing. I could watch this all day. It's very soothing too!

What is the strangest thing you have seen on camera? Have you seen anything that left you scratching your head?

Very awesome!

gclance

Aug 16, 2005
Huntington Beach
Name
Garrett
Boat
21 1/2ft., Robalo
Really cool stuff! I have always wanted to send a camera down on the deep cod spots. Every year my father and I do a Big Sir coast 2 day rock fishing trip. The bottom is incredibly rocky up there and every spot is loaded with HUGE rock fish and lings. I have seen guys land lings up to 40lbs+. Could only imaging the monsters that you could see with this camera. Everything up there is jumbo sized compared to down here. If you ever have a chance to film up there I would love to see what you capture! Thanks for the great post!

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I would love to see a picture of your sled. How do you get a live video feed? I am guessing not from the goPro, right?

I have (but have not used in years) something similar -- a sled to be towed (or left stationary) along the bottom (works best in a sandy bottom), with a release clip for a bait. It is intended for Halibut so I could visually see how they go about taking a bait. You video inspired me to dust it off and try it again.

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman
Very cool, can't wait to get home from work and enjoy all that you posted.

Apr 4, 2009
Goleta
Name
Nathan
Boat
Radon
I would love to see a picture of your sled. How do you get a live video feed? I am guessing not from the goPro, right?

I have (but have not used in years) something similar -- a sled to be towed (or left stationary) along the bottom (works best in a sandy bottom), with a release clip for a bait. It is intended for Halibut so I could visually see how they go about taking a bait. You video inspired me to dust it off and try it again.
The live video comes from one of 4 small CCD cameras that I can switch between (one looks forward, one down, etc...). The GoPro cameras just record the whole time, or take pictures at a1/2 second interval.

I will see if I can find a good picture of the camera and winch setup on the boat for you.

Reactions: MYNomad

JWJS44

Jul 20, 2016
San Diego
Name
One More Cast
Boat
Cobia Center Console, Key West Center Console, Parker 2320
This is amazing. Thank you for posting! I'm going to be locked in to view these vids for the next couple of hours. Haha!

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Now thats what I call a fish finder! Im not sure how much effort it takes to set that up or how convenient it isn but it seems it would be really helpful. The footage was awesome. Please share more about the set up if you can. Thanks for sharing!!

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Better than TV, great job, an absolute enlightening perspective!!!

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Now that I've had time to read the whole thread, view all the videos, and put everyone's feedback into perspective, this must be really/very gratifying for you to see your efforts, however long this took to get to this point, rewarded with all this positive feedback, just a guess.

Question: did U ever feel at any time that one area, wherever that area might be/have-been, was void of a sustainable level of fish?

There's a spot off the anchorage of SBI on the way to the Osborne Bank which used to hold massive amounts of Cow Cod before they became protected, and I wonder how it's rebounded 20+ years later????

Ever been out to the Cortez or Tanner Banks with the setup? Begg Rock?

Very stimulating, thank you.

Apr 4, 2009
Goleta
Name
Nathan
Boat
Radon
Now that I've had time to read the whole thread, view all the videos, and put everyone's feedback into perspective, this must be really/very gratifying for you to see your efforts, however long this took to get to this point, rewarded with all this positive feedback, just a guess.

Question: did U ever feel at any time that one area, wherever that area might be/have-been, was void of a sustainable level of fish?

There's a spot off the anchorage of SBI on the way to the Osborne Bank which used to hold massive amounts of Cow Cod before they became protected, and I wonder how it's rebounded 20+ years later????

Ever been out to the Cortez or Tanner Banks with the setup? Begg Rock?

Very stimulating, thank you.
Thanks! I am always happy to hear that other people enjoy seeing the deep spots from this perspective. Filming anything that is beyond reasonable diving depths is a lot of work. You either need a submarine, or some kind of remotely operated vehicle for the camera to ride on. There are technical challenges at every step, and so many things that can go wrong.

So yea, when people appreciate the footage it is very rewarding, and makes me want to go back out and film something new.

As far as observing sustainability issues, I am not a scientist, and I don't try to take a scientific approach to this work so I really cant say. I have seen areas with amazing structure in areas that are rarely/never fished that have surprisingly few rockfish. I have also seen flat bottoms in heavily fished areas with hundreds of good grade rockfish gathered around a tiny pile of rocks. Why do they live there rather than a mile away on a nice pinnacle?

I have only filmed a couple spots repeatedly over the course of 4 or 5 years now, and the only thing that is consistent is the stuff that's attached to the bottom (rocks, coral, beer bottles, etc.). Usually you see a lot of fish, but some days its a ghost town. Fortunately, more often than not I am just amazed at how there can be so many rockfish still around given the daily fish counts I see.

In my opinion, video surveying for rockfish (at least here in So Cal) is not a reliable source of scientific data. For one, the only way to see anything down deep is to shine a huge amount of blinding light at the fish. So certain fish avoid the camera before it ever gets near enough to capture them, and others, especially Lings, tend to swarm to the lights and they act like they see a big camera down there every day. Cow Cod especially are very shy and most of the ones I see are way in the distance right before they go hide under a rock. Its rare that they stick around for a close up, but sometimes they will, go figure...

I have never dropped the camera at those outer spots. Its not out of my range but with the big camera and winch on the deck, and all the time it takes to run it, I would probably want to be on a bigger boat than my 27'. Also, I would probably rather be fishing or diving if I were out there :D

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
When I am not fishing or diving, I like to drop a camera on the fish and see where they are and what they are doing.

I built a large towed camera sled that I drop from my boat on seamounts and the usual rockfish spots (up to 1400' deep so far) mainly to film different rockfish species. The sled carries 2 Go Pros, live video and data an be watched on the boat, and about 360 watts of LED lighting (because its dark down there), powered by a NiMH battery pack. Enjoy!

My you tube videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/user/NPerry8051/videos

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
As far as observing sustainability issues, I am not a scientist, and I don't try to take a scientific approach to this work so I really cant say. I have seen areas with amazing structure in areas that are rarely/never fished that have surprisingly few rockfish. I have also seen flat bottoms in heavily fished areas with hundreds of good grade rockfish gathered around a tiny pile of rocks. Why do they live there rather than a mile away on a nice pinnacle?
The 2 sentences I bolded speak volumes about where I was going with my question Nathan, good enough for me, thank you for that. and why are fish there one day and not the next, we may never know.

(rocks, coral, beer bottles, etc.)
WTF!?!? I'm not going to say this all came from cruise ships, sure wish those that dump their beer bottles overboard would just keep them as trash and dump back at the dock.

I have never dropped the camera at those outer spots. Its not out of my range but with the big camera and winch on the deck, and all the time it takes to run it, I would probably want to be on a bigger boat than my 27'.
I wish my boat was bigger as I'd hook you up right now!