Rockfish - Caught on video

Apr 4, 2009
Goleta
Name
Nathan
Boat
Radon
When I am not fishing or diving, I like to drop a camera on the fish and see where they are and what they are doing.

I built a large towed camera sled that I drop from my boat on seamounts and the usual rockfish spots (up to 1400' deep so far) mainly to film different rockfish species. The sled carries 2 Go Pros, live video and data an be watched on the boat, and about 360 watts of LED lighting (because its dark down there), powered by a NiMH battery pack. Enjoy!

My you tube videos are here: https://www.youtube.com/user/NPerry8051/videos

JFK

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
Dude that's incredible. The first video with the really good vis awesome.

OnoEric

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Those are amazing videos! I'd love to see what your sled setup looks like, if you don't mind sharing.

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
Oct 15, 2006
San Diego
Name
Leoman
Boat
Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
your new name is Nathan Cousteau...that was cool...I would like to see the vids with the big guys you came across :)

Reactions: kwonsoo

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Yep! You da man!

That actually explains a lot to me, and others I presume...

Those lings look like they are taking advantage of the light to go hunting....

Way cool!

Reactions: Knives

KID CREOLE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
Awesome videos Nathan

What caught my attention was how much current there was and how many small fish, it's a miracle they ever bite a hook

Apr 4, 2009
Goleta
Name
Nathan
Boat
Radon
Thanks for all the comments, glad you liked the footage. Catching RF at the islands all my life, I always wondered what it was actually like down there deeper than I could ever dive, which led to this camera...

The comment about current down there is something that also surprised me, depending on the tide and location, it can be ripping on the bottom, and no drift on the surface. When the rig is down really deep (over 1000 feet) the camera can even pull the boat against the surface current like a sea anchor. And when the current is really moving, all of the fish will be pointed in the same direction and much more alert.

The fish react differently to the camera, but a few things are obvious, the Lings seem to be right at home with the thing and the Cow and Tiger RF are usually really shy. The others don't seem to react to it all that much.

I don't have any good pictures of the camera rig actually, I will have to make sure and get some soon. It weighs about 75 pounds (in air) and has an aluminum frame to protect the battery and camera housings. It reels up and down with an electric winch I made that has about 1500 feet of cable on the spool.

There are more videos on the you tube page, and I will keep this updated when I post some new footage.

gnehekul

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 23, 2012
los angeles
Name
Fishead
Boat
cash carrying ho
I wonder when we hook a fish and it starts to fight if it scares the other fishes out of the area for a few minutes

MalibuFrank

Sep 15, 2003
Malibu
Name
Frank Nielsen
Boat
13' skiff
My friends and I were blown away by your videos! We did the math on your rig and figured out you are not screwing around. Serious investment of time and money went into those great videos. Would love to see pics of your camera rig! Very risky hobby you have!

Reactions: Jaact

MalibuFrank

Sep 15, 2003
Malibu
Name
Frank Nielsen
Boat
13' skiff
I have crushed 2 factory GoPros to death in just 200 feet of water. Don't try this at home! :-) These are not just your standard factory GoPro housings!

Reactions: Blackfish and Jaact