SeaDawg

Grouper Hunter
Mar 18, 2003
Key West
Name
Harry
Boat
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
i can't believe a read the whole thing, but I did.

Going to Fred Hall in LB today :) Got a hot date :)

Jul 4, 2006
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
17.5' Seaswirl c/c
wait....i'm confused. what is "beautiful" about a black sea ass?

Don't know, but everytime I go to an aquarium and watch a big black seabass swiming around slowly I get a little wood, little not having anything to do with size.

lickinchickin

May 25, 2005
Alpine/California/USA
Name
Alan
Boat
22 Sea Fox
I called up the Fish and Game dept in San Diego last Thursday and asked about the declaration. I told her if I could get the declaration online, so I could bring my rockcod back from the Coronado islands. She told me the Coronado Islands were in California water and I didn't need a Dec. I told her that I've been fishing San Diego and Mexican waters for about 30 years and unless I missed something, Coronado Islands brlong to the Mexicans. She then told me to wait on the line for someone in the regulation section. But If I was new, this is the type of info that leads to fishermen down a wrong path and eventually into court. So becarefull on the info you get and make sure you read your regs.

Jul 4, 2006
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
17.5' Seaswirl c/c
I called up the Fish and Game dept in San Diego last Thursday and asked about the declaration. I told her if I could get the declaration online, so I could bring my rockcod back from the Coronado islands. She told me the Coronado Islands were in California water and I didn't need a Dec. I told her that I've been fishing San Diego and Mexican waters for about 30 years and unless I missed something, Coronado Islands brlong to the Mexicans. She then told me to wait on the line for someone in the regulation section. But If I was new, this is the type of info that leads to fishermen down a wrong path and eventually into court. So becarefull on the info you get and make sure you read your regs.
Just try asking 3 or 4 different wardens the same question. You will probably get say 3 or 4 different answers. Not necessarily blaming the wardens, they're just as confused as we are trying to interpret the same confusing crap we're trying to interpret.

And any info you get over the phone comes with the same warning that comes with info you get over the phone from the IRS: If it's wrong you still pay the fine.

Halibut Howie

Member Since 2003
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Boat Will Travel"
Oh great now we have a fucked up lawyer trying to explain what a disfunctional CA F&G is saying about fish caught in mexico like he some kind of god.

You CAN KEEP BSB that are illegal to possess in USA but CAN NOT keep undersized lingcod or halibut that are also illegal to possess in the USA along with canaries, ect.. This is just CA F&G madness at its best. Like stated above each F&G officer you talk to will have a different interpretation of their laws. They do not even know the laws they are trying to enforce. heaven forbid if they cite you, even incorrectly, cuz it causes you a whole day of your time to go to misdemeanor court with the dregs of the world. Not to mention having to put up with a bunch of fuckup lawyers & judges all day. I hope CA goes broke and laysoff all the F&G assholes. That way they will not be able to keep inventing/dreaming up rules on how to fuck us common, law-abiding fishermen more.

As for you lawyer keep your self serving, bunny hugging opinions to yourself about what you think about BSB. May your boat meet the same fate that you wished upon others.

HH

portaslayer

Jul 24, 2009
Oceanside
Name
Eddy
Boat
portaboat, 12 ft, ss boat
I heard there are different limits as far as quanities in mex too. For instance is it true you can take 5 dorado there but only two here? If so, how does this rule effect that?

the hook

Bluesman
Jul 8, 2003
Skyline Hills
www.springharpfest.org
Name
John
Boat
21' Sea Pro the Hook
I heard there are different limits as far as quanities in mex too. For instance is it true you can take 5 dorado there but only two here? If so, how does this rule effect that?
You have it backwards.- sort of. 2 dodos in Mex.
I think it is 10 here.

16glaspar

Nov 15, 2008
Lemon grove ca
Name
Rick
Boat
16' Glaspar Citation
Anyone have any experience with DFG siezing fish caught in Mex for not having a Declaration form? I did send one to DFG in Sac the next day. I was also informed fishing in the US and in Mex on the same day is considered double dipping...Right!!! I informed DFG that means I was fishing in the US and Mex at the same time...DFG took some of my fish and ticked me for not having a declaration form... I go to court in Nov. I'm screwed...Please advise.

Jul 4, 2006
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
17.5' Seaswirl c/c
Anyone have any experience with DFG siezing fish caught in Mex for not having a Declaration form? I did send one to DFG in Sac the next day. I was also informed fishing in the US and in Mex on the same day is considered double dipping...Right!!! I informed DFG that means I was fishing in the US and Mex at the same time...DFG took some of my fish and ticked me for not having a declaration form... I go to court in Nov. I'm screwed...Please advise.
Never received a ticket, but have been warned a couple times about not having one filled in completely before entering U.S. waters.

Regarding "double dipping", the warden you quoted said that fishing in US and Mexico on the same day is illegal, not sure about the comment "considered it double dipping, but having fought the good fight with the DFG over a long period over that same issue I have come to understand their position.

I use to fish Mexico a lot during the closed rockfish season here, and would stop at the jetty to drift for halibut at the end of the day.

If a warden checked me on the water he could question if in fact the rockcod I had were not caught at the jetty, and not as I claimed while holding a declaration form in my hand. He did not see me catch the rockfish, but he did see me fishing therefore it's more than just my word against his.

If on the other hand he checked me on the water while on my way back to the dock, my filled out declaration form, and my word that the rockfish were caught in Mexico is good enough for him.

I'd rather have that tradeoff over having to take a lie detector test everytime I return from Mexico.

BTW: Now if I want to make a few drifts for halibut after a day of fishing Mexico we simply drive to the launch ramp, put our fish, filleted inside the bay, not in Mexico which is illegal, in a ice chest in our tow vehicle, then run back out to our favorite halibut spot. Total time under 15 minutes.

And also have a declaration form completely filled out before entering US waters, and am always thankful that we still have the option of fishing in Mexico.

Hope they don't lean on you too hard. You might even point out to the judge that even the DFG agents are not clear on the statutes.

It tooks me months to get a clear answer on the issue. There's an article by the editor of Pacific Coast Sportfishing magazine about the phone conversation we had. It was in 2003 I believe. If I find my copy I will PM you the date. It covers the long process I went through to get my question regarding fishing in both countries on the same day, and all the confusion among DFG agents on the matter.

When I was told by an agent it was illegal I asked them to point out the specific regulations covering it, not one could do so!

Sorry for the long read.

Alan

Dec 15, 2003
Ventura
atlantisutility.com
Name
Alan
Boat
Skipjack 25
At the end of the day it is completely up to the warden. If they want to write a ticket they can. BS and stupid.

bluewaterbum

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 16, 2012
Riverside, Ca
Name
Kim
Boat
none
John you made this statement in your first post (see below) but I don't know how old you are but the restriction on BSB has been around since the 1980's and it would seem by know the BSB population would have recovered to be fished again, but as usual when the government makes a temporary rule or law they become permanent. Just as the rules for Cowcod and other fish on the no keep rule now will never be removed. Same goes for the depths people can fish they just might not stay at 120' in some areas or 300' in others because the DFG is being controlled by environmentalists at this time.

These groups seem to love it when they get people like you and others to make statements like you did below to further their cause at the DFG. Before you make these statements you should look up what the DFG has not been doing, like backing up their rules with science or even doing studies to see if the rules made now or before could be less restricted.

There is a Black Seabass section too in the reg book (section 28.10, page 41 in the 2008 DFG reg book) that allows you to take up to two Black Seabass in Mexico and bring them back into California provided you have a declaration and a Mexican fishing license. Although this is a cool exception, I think anyone who takes these beautiful fish or any other short fish no matter where they are at should have their boat sunk and rods snapped. There is no excuse for that in my book.

StuBro

Jul 22, 2012
Encinitas, California
Name
Greg
Boat
29' Blackfin Flybridge "Reel Living"
Avoiding this hassle at the ramps is "almost" worth my slip fee.

Anyone been stopped by the "mussel" police yet in the freshwater lakes? I see bird shit on your boat seat. It may contain some sort of banned mussel larvae or however they grow. I ask, "Don't you think the birds shit in the lake too? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Common sense is dead.