Rockaway! HD & SP! Nesika Rods Too! How Are They Related?

Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    How Are These Okuma Surf Rods Related?

It all started with the original Rockaways. It was fueled by the need of Oregon Anglers targeting Sea Perch. From Okuma designing the original Rockaway Surf Rods that idea sprang forth to encompass the needs of Hawaii & S.California shoreline surf casters as well. Okuma has long been known to develop gear for anglers all across the USA. So if you have 13min i'll break this all down for you.

Reactions: BD STAFF
    Upvote 0

RPGer001

Dec 31, 2022
    califronia
    Name
    Jonathan
    Hi Chris,

I have enjoyed your videos and have all Okuma rods. Whenever I wanted/needed a rod, Okuma always seems to have a good answer that is not too expensive.

As an Okuma expert, can you comment on the difference between the Rockaway SP M+ rods (10 and 11 ft) which are lure rated at 1/2-3oz and the Rockaway ML 10ft which is 1/2-2oz? For me, 2oz+light bait is a must but I would also like something that can throw a Lucky Craft 110 (5/8oz) a bit better than my current SST rod. My current rod is the 9’9” SST, Heavy, moderate action rated for 1/2-3oz and the two Rockaways I mentioned both appear to be lighter.

I need a second rod for when my son can join me fishing and a lighter one than the SST would be a good general alternative.

Reactions: Scuba Chris
    Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    Hi Chris,

I have enjoyed your videos and have all Okuma rods. Whenever I wanted/needed a rod, Okuma always seems to have a good answer that is not too expensive.

As an Okuma expert, can you comment on the difference between the Rockaway SP M+ rods (10 and 11 ft) which are lure rated at 1/2-3oz and the Rockaway ML 10ft which is 1/2-2oz? For me, 2oz+light bait is a must but I would also like something that can throw a Lucky Craft 110 (5/8oz) a bit better than my current SST rod. My current rod is the 9’9” SST, Heavy, moderate action rated for 1/2-3oz and the two Rockaways I mentioned both appear to be lighter.

I need a second rod for when my son can join me fishing and a lighter one than the SST would be a good general alternative.
    Wow! I have the SST myself. Good rod!

Upvote 0

Latest Articles