Rock fishing the nine mile?

Wellcraft21

Mar 2, 2021
San Diego
Name
Troy
Boat
Bay runner
Hey guys, I just bought a 22 foot center console. I’ve been mostly cruising around La Jolla/Point Loma area and it’s time to go offshore a little more. My brother is coming into town and wants to fish rock fish, I’d really like to get him out to the nine mile and look for quality rock fish.. I’m not expecting exact coordinates, but could some of you please recommend what depths, general area of the nine mile bank (north or south) in American waters, and what to look for on the fish finder? I’m open to other areas, not just the nine mile, I just figured the deeper rock fishing might be better than inshore. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Have you checked out this link? Has a bunch of great spots with GPS coords too.

Reactions: Wellcraft21
Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Check the regs, too. I do believe the California side of the Nine is still off limits for bottom fishing.

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
The south 9 has good fishing around 300-350ft. The north 9 is deeper for the most part. I would head south and look for high spots with suspended marks. Take a couple trolling rods with feathers and a rod capable of throwing jigs. There have been alot of tuna and bonito on the 9 this year. Good luck!

Upvote 0