ROCK FISHING RECOMMENDATION

Discussion in 'World Of PENN' started by cochetrigo, Apr 18, 2017.

1. cochetrigo

cochetrigo Newbie

Name:
    Carr
    Boat:
    12 ft. Aluminum Valco
    Hello all. I went out with my two sons 7 and 9 yrs old this past week out of Santa Barbara on the Coral Sea. They had to use rental rods as the water we fished was about 300 ft, using 12-16 oz. sinkers. For their first time using a conventional reel they killed it! (Jigmaster and Warfare). I want to buy them something of their own. Any preference as to level-wind or non? Size, and so forth? IMG_4024.JPG IMG_4023.JPG

2. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Really? In the "World of Penn" forum ??? :eek:
    If the kiddies have trouble managing the line on retrieve then maybe level wind is the way to go. OTOH if they are forced to learn how to use their thumb now they will be set for life. Your call. Maybe "narrow" reels are easier to learn on, IDK. I learned on a 114HLW and to this day do not really need to look at the reel to know that it's level.
    Anyway the Squall star drag series is probably a good starter point, maybe the 25n ? If you want to just dive in and they are the kind of kids that take care of things go with Fathom, more $ but you (they) won't be upgrading as soon. Lever drags and two speed reels are great but probably not really necessary for rock fishing on party boats. JMO/ YMMV

3. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    Nice! SQL15LW or SQL20LW would be great reels to start. Both reels weigh under 17oz. and are perfect for bottom fishing. The non-levelwind Squall 12 and 15 would also be good choices IMHO.

4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    I agree with no level wind. the 114 might be a little heavy for those kids to use all day. But then again, it will muscle them up. :D

5. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    If you are going to be using the reels strictly for rockfishing with spectra, I'd go to ebay and pick up some used GTI levelwind reels. That's what I use (I like spectra because of the better "feel" at those depths, and the 345 because it gains more line per handle rotation). The reason is that reeling all that spectra back is tough on the hands, and levelwinds really make a difference. They do work for white sea bass too.

cochetrigo and cortezpirasea like this.
  6. matta57

matta57 hack

Name:
    matt
    Boat:
    none
    squall 15 levelwind

7. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    Yes! Great reels for rockfish!

8. luckylogger6

luckylogger6 Member

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    none
    Not familiar with the new level winds but the 320 GTI was a great reel for that application. I would check out the squall and warfare reels.

9. pjbigdog

pjbigdog Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    The levelwinds sure keep the braid squared away, no matter what your fishing. That keeps whom ever is using them in the game more. That's all my wife uses and she does just fine.

stephen campbell likes this.
  10. Texlee

Texlee Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alben Lee
    Boat:
    Excel
    Get level winds for the boys. At their age they want to catch fish and not worry about fingering the braid back on the reel. They will grow into non level winds.
    Tex

11. Nick

Nick 215cc Triumph

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    bad habit
    I use the Penn 310/320 GTI reels loaded with 30 spectra for 360ft and only 6/8 ounce sinkers due to less drag using the thin spectra line.. If yo can find some old Travala rods, it would make for a very light weight set up with lots of back bone when needed.

cochetrigo likes this.
  12. OneDay

OneDay Member

Name:
    Ed Hayden
    Boat:
    Pro-line 22 Walk
    I used to take my 2 boys out on the party boats for rockcod starting when they were 4 and it was a blast! I set them up with spinning rods with spectra which worked out great but we were fishing 150 ft max. Squall sounds like a good call. Have fun!

13. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Actually, it is a matter of reeling up 300-600 feet of braid over and over and over again. It is so much easier with a level wind. I must have missed it .... did the OP specify Penn?

14. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Member

Name:
    Joey
    Boat:
    None
    A Penn Fathom 12 or squall 12 with a 7- 8 foot rod would be nice and add cool factor. Or maybe one of them large lowpro reel in 6.3 ratio with power handle. Because kids want to cast and reel and cast and reel.... For no apparent reason

15. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    image.jpeg I would start your boys off fishing strait mono. That's how I started my daughter since it's so much more forgiving with it's stretch. My old Sealine sl20 with it's lower gearing was great for her, was tough enough to handle the inevitable bumps and drops, and she loved that my old gear had a history of catching fish. Now that she has got it down, (12 years later) she shares my nicer stuff. Spend the money on more time on the water with your boys, it is something neither of you will ever forget.

PM Me and if you want it, I would be happy to pass down the same setup to the next generation when you are in my neck of the woods.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017