Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
Vermonster said:
Just curious, in Vermont I knew some guys that got banded birds and they would send them somewhere and get a certificate saying when/where, etc, that they were banded. Do they do that here? Is the banding a U.S. Fish and Game thing or state agencies?????
V,

Most of the banding occurrs on the central flyway! I have had some luck with bands.

1989 3 banded honkers all from Montana, they were shot near the Salton Sea
2000 1 banded Mallard shot near Bakersfield, banded in northern Calif.
2001 1 banded Gadwall shot near Bakersfield, banded near Merced, Ca.
2004 1 banded GW teal shot near Salton Sea, banded in northern Saskatchewan
2005 1 banded and collared Ross goose shot in S/E Nebraska

Pile of snows on my tailgate, on the right side is a very rare white collared/banded ross goose

Other pic is of a banded mallard

ps: Never send the bands in, just call them in!

05Miss25.JPG StefanKernDucks.jpg

KID CREOLE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
Yes they do, you'll find out the date of the banding, aprox age of bird, location and who did the banding!

Fresh One

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 10, 2003
Scripps Ranch
Name
Brent
Boat
none
We hunted Friday and had 2 teal and a Hollywood (aka spoonie). We saw good numbers of ducks moving around. We would have done better but we got busted on a couple of flights and also got sandwiched in between two other groups who were shooting up and down the river from us.

Its gonna be a good season this year IMO.

Blain Perkins

PerkDawg
Jun 24, 2005
San Diego
Name
Blain
Boat
18ft NITRO
Hay Mike Last weekend I only shot 6 Ducks for two days I think they left the valley. Or the water level was verry low in the ditches. But check this out I stop at a few ditches and turnd my Gordon Setter Loose He kick out at least 25 Pheasants in one and 20 in another it was crazy, Pheasants going all directions. So I Quickly Wrote down the ditches and cross roads.. What a good find for the Opener on Nov.12. I shot 5 Mallards One Greenwing Teal. I wont go down till the 12th give the Dogs a rest, OK I Need the rest.

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
Blain Perkins said:
Hay Mike Last weekend I only shot 6 Ducks for two days I think they left the valley. Or the water level was verry low in the ditches. But check this out I stop at a few ditches and turnd my Gordon Setter Loose He kick out at least 25 Pheasants in one and 20 in another it was crazy, Pheasants going all directions. So I Quickly Wrote down the ditches and cross roads.. What a good find for the Opener on Nov.12. I shot 5 Mallards One Greenwing Teal. I wont go down till the 12th give the Dogs a rest, OK I Need the rest.

That's what I'm talking about! We use to hunt the canals/ditches all the time, did very well but its been years since we did it. We shot 3" #4 steel..... good enough pattern for both ducks and ringers.:)
Water levels are funky all over. Don't know why. The farmers need to order a shitload of water or the lower river and canals may never be right this year.
Our season doesn't really get good till after turkey day. It's game on after that. We'll have to get together and blast em this year!