SemperFi75

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Been looking at Catalina long enough. Finally took a couple of friends camping at Rippers.
Good weather for crossing Friday and back Sunday.
Loaded all the gear and picked up sardines at SP around 10. Good dines until I accidentally hit the off switch and killed them. Got Friday and then chum.😆
We didn’t do well on bait so trolled an X-Rap that’s worked well for me. New to the place so stayed in the Rippers and Red Bluff area, no restricted areas.👍
Caught Bonita and released them all, even the one the seal took the tail off. He said thanks.🤣
Great weather so we anchored in Little Fisherman’s harbor (all alone except the kayaks) and hit town for a Buffalo Milk (not my kind of drink) and chow.
Hit Avalon this morning on the way home to say hello to the Harbor Master and Introduce myself. Ran across playful dolphin and a lot of birds but no time. Will be back.
D0CECA92-8C20-4460-8BD7-E5A0C7103C00.jpeg
86A1CCA9-299D-48D6-AF65-00576B66CE40.jpeg
B3CDC05B-835D-42BE-AB1C-6DA20F6C4235.jpeg
25AD4F1C-3D06-4A80-B1C4-8A493F8D82B6.jpeg
6E0470B0-BBA5-4697-98DF-049C1F1F4FE7.jpeg
0202ECBF-BE4E-4A0F-911F-F036D73F68CF.jpeg
AE0AE1C8-59F2-4CFE-B3EC-EB95167FDB3A.jpeg
DF9A76BE-8003-4C1E-966F-CF4320454723.jpeg
E17271D9-3A2F-405B-AB5D-EEB1CBD34DD2.jpeg
05A9447F-D21D-42B5-8158-59FFDBDA361D.jpeg

ps I did lose a lobster net off the Rippers reef. NO idea where it went and we had 3 sets of eyes on lookout. Oh well. Cost of a great weekend.
Smooth seas and tight lines.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Looks like a great time.

Reactions: SemperFi75

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Did you get any bugs?
Had one net that I’m sure was full. Just couldn’t find it.🤣
There were lots of shells left over from recent campers.
Next time but gotta buy a new net.😩

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Good times - I have stock piles of wood, charcoal and other items hidden on that hillside from years of camping
Any idea what the Watermen’s Memorial is? A lot of heavy items were hauled and set up. Cody must have been a good kid.

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
what does it cost to camp here ?
It was a couple hundred for the weekend. They charge per person per night. Reserve America boat in camp sites.
We may book the Two Harbors camp ground next time and anchor Little Fisherman’s Cove. My fishing buddies liked the “wildlife” at Two Harbors better then Rippers. They both had foxes (my buddy got a night pic from the memorial hill of a fox checking us out in the campground below) but the ones in Two Harbors were taking off wet suits.🤣
I looked...
I’m old, not dead.👍

Reactions: C-4 Fishing

SDSailandFish

Aug 17, 2020
San Diego
Name
Hank
Boat
La Tortuga
Great report and looks like an amazing time. Ooh-Rah Devildog. BTW, I wrote a song for Chesty Puller, "Have One More for Chesty" out on Spotify and iTunes by Hank Bragg

Thanks for the report and your service,
Hank

Been looking at Catalina long enough. Finally took a couple of friends camping at Rippers.
Good weather for crossing Friday and back Sunday.
Loaded all the gear and picked up sardines at SP around 10. Good dines until I accidentally hit the off switch and killed them. Got Friday and then chum.😆
We didn’t do well on bait so trolled an X-Rap that’s worked well for me. New to the place so stayed in the Rippers and Red Bluff area, no restricted areas.👍
Caught Bonita and released them all, even the one the seal took the tail off. He said thanks.🤣
Great weather so we anchored in Little Fisherman’s harbor (all alone except the kayaks) and hit town for a Buffalo Milk (not my kind of drink) and chow.
Hit Avalon this morning on the way home to say hello to the Harbor Master and Introduce myself. Ran across playful dolphin and a lot of birds but no time. Will be back.View attachment 1219773View attachment 1219774View attachment 1219775View attachment 1219776View attachment 1219777View attachment 1219778View attachment 1219779View attachment 1219780View attachment 1219781View attachment 1219782
ps I did lose a lobster net off the Rippers reef. NO idea where it went and we had 3 sets of eyes on lookout. Oh well. Cost of a great weekend.

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
Great report and looks like an amazing time. Ooh-Rah Devildog. BTW, I wrote a song for Chesty Puller, "Have One More for Chesty" out on Spotify and iTunes by Hank Bragg

Thanks for the report and your service,
Hank
Goodnight Chesty Puller, wherever you are.

Young marine is one of the range masters where I shoot. Glad to see they still make them like they used to. 👍😆
Uhrah!

ps I’ll take two more if you’re buying.🤣

elwood

Feb 4, 2009
Santa Barbara
Name
elwood
Boat
J105
We always do a summer trip to Rippers. The camp was spotless when we got there and we left charcoal and wood.

Last time we were out they had driven a dozer down the hill and made a rough road to the camp. Anyone know why?

In the field above the cove you can see where they carved bowls out of soap stone in ancient times.

Rippers Cove-0223.jpg

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
We always do a summer trip to Rippers. The camp was spotless when we got there and we left charcoal and wood.

Last time we were out they had driven a dozer down the hill and made a rough road to the camp. Anyone know why?

In the field above the cove you can see where they carved bowls out of soap stone in ancient times.

View attachment 1229851
Your boat looks good anchored up... but I think pretty much a floating log would look good there. lol

Smooth seas and tight lines (or full hoop nets) :cheers:

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
If you hike way up that river bed - there is a huge soap stone oven that was carved - it's way back in the thickets but it's pretty incredible to see.

No idea on the dozer rough rode - if stupid Wrigley family turns this into a "hike-in" site instead of "boat in only" - we fucked

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
If you hike way up that river bed - there is a huge soap stone oven that was carved - it's way back in the thickets but it's pretty incredible to see.

No idea on the dozer rough rode - if stupid Wrigley family turns this into a "hike-in" site instead of "boat in only" - we fucked
We hiked through the river bed up to the flagpole and “monument”?. I’ll look for the oven and go a little farther next trip.
There was a trashed car seat by one of the fire rings and some other stuff left at the sites. I don’t know why people bring, use for a trip and dump unless they figure they’ll be back but fkn leave it cleaner than you found it.😡
OK I’m off my soapbox.😆
Can’t wait for spring.👍

Reactions: Hooops

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Yeah - I can't stand trash left on these sites - always bring an xtra 50gallon trash bag and fill it.

The soap stone oven is way way up that river bed about 3/4 to top of hill

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker

View attachment 1229851
More likely a fire break.

Reactions: rdrrm8e