Ringed hooks? I know what I use, how about you and why?

ambush1

Swagger Lures,
Jul 24, 2006
lakewood
Name
brett bumz
Boat
23' Seaswirl Cuddy Cabin BUM N OUT
i liked ringed.

Upvote 0

1bigfisch

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 16, 2007
Northridge Ca
Name
Michael
Boat
32' Luhrs "Alluhr"
Loop knot. Free ringed hook good for fish up to 100lb. If I where fishing for BIG tuna, I would probably use ringed hooks if the bite required it, but I don't long range, so I'll leave that issue to those more experienced than I.

Upvote 0

Sactotuna

Oct 20, 2005
sacramento
Name
jim
Boat
Royal Star
Heavy tackle, I crimp, and form a loop that way. Lighter I tie and always use a ring. Maybe sometimes it helps, but it can't hurt, so why not?

Upvote 0

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Ringed all the way.

1) the bait swims better
2) the line will rub against the metal less so your knot will be stronger and last longer
3) If you use circles, they are easy to take out and reuse

Upvote 0

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
Ringed all the way. The only thing is the barbs on some ring hook models are kind of small and bait can come off easy.

I fish the yak a lot with out the benefit of a large supply of bait. The ringed hook (IMO) gives the best natural presentation.

Upvote 0

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Ringed, Love them. I only do not use them when the bite goes WFO.

Jamie

Upvote 0

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
Well it depends. When I need a stealth rig I go with a small unringed J hook. When I need to fish a long soaked bait I typically want a ringed circle hook. When it goes wide open I reach for the cheapest rusty musted I own. Sitonmyface i.e, Jake do you work on the Big Game 90?

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Well it depends. When I need a stealth rig I go with a small unringed J hook. When I need to fish a long soaked bait I typically want a ringed circle hook. When it goes wide open I reach for the cheapest rusty musted I own. Sitonmyface i.e, Jake do you work on the Big Game 90?

Nope, unemployed construction superintendent.

Upvote 0

old salt

master baiter
Feb 4, 2009
laguna beach ca
Name
mark
Boat
salty woodward 18. anderson 26 "Kiwi Magic"
I like the owner ringed gorilla for offshore when the bite is finicky.i beleve that the bait swims better with the ring giving it more freedom than a knot.when the fish are flyin over the rail ill tie on anything with a barb

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I'm liking the Ringed Mustad Hoodlums, Ringed Gorillas, and Gamakatsu Live-Bait HD Hook with Ring. Gamakatsu uses a bit smaller ring, and it's solid, not welded. The eye of the hook is closed around the ring.

Using ringed J hooks allows me to use a smaller hook and still be able to belly hook the dine. Apparently Mustad has a circle hook that makes this a bit easier as it has a wider gap. And it comes in a ringed version, R39942BLN. Might have to get a sample pack to try on the June 7 day.

Upvote 0

lasparky11

Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
Ring hooks for pickey bite. Now the $64,000 question, what kind of knot do you use? I general tie all my hooks with an improved San Diego.

Upvote 0

mexfisher

Jun 13, 2009
Glendale Ca.
Name
Juan
Boat
none
Love my ring hooks can't fish without them, I always stock up at the fred hall show. As for knot I always use a triline never had the knot fail.

Upvote 0

yft1979

Sep 7, 2004
Murrieta
Name
Garrett
Boat
-
Ring hooks for pickey bite. Now the $64,000 question, what kind of knot do you use? I general tie all my hooks with an improved San Diego.

What is the Improved San Diego?

Upvote 0

TurdRoller

What happened?
Mar 22, 2004
Santee
Name
kyle
Boat
Tribute
san diego knot and a mustad 2/0. fish are bait shy, not hook shy...there's always been new hooks...remember when red hooks were cool? If the bait is lame, that's another story though. i stay clear away from owner ringed flyliners...barbs are too small, easy to lose fish

Reactions: saltydentist
Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
san diego knot and a mustad 2/0. fish are bait shy, not hook shy...there's always been new hooks...remember when red hooks were cool? If the bait is lame, that's another story though. i stay clear away from owner ringed flyliners...barbs are too small, easy to lose fish

Thank you!

Upvote 0