uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Boston Whaler Challenger 27'
Tom made a great, custom, huge bait tank for me. I would recommend him. But, given the cost of a tower, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer aluminum. No matter how much time and effort is spent washing and waxing anodized aluminum, it is going to pit. For the guys who didn't mind zits on their faces as teenagers, no big deal, but my personal preference is stainless.
I think weight is a factor for a tower mounted on top of a pilot house. It’s going to be powder coated as well.

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
Dont have a tower but is it Changon? National city. Did a lookup cant find them. They advertise at day at the docks. Was referred once from joey at squidco for some structural ss on m 25skip. Never used em. I just did some pounding instead.

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Man some of these guys are just too funny. ProFab just told me he’s twice the price of everyone bc:

“there’s no market price on my work because I’m in a league of my own. I’m not comparable with any of these guys my product and craftsmanship is far beyond what they are capable of”

Seems like humility, good business practices, and poor grammar abound in the marine metal fabrication world. Hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: sbsurfer

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
I've done several of them in recent years. For a full tower with controls, I like Fishing Boats Unlimited. Tony and his crew can handle everything turn key. A lot of the other guys do GREAT work but don't do the controls and wiring.

The big issue that affects price is your motors. If you have electronic controls v(fly by wire - No cables) it's much cheaper. If you need a multi-station solution for older engines like the Glendenning, ZF or Yamaha kit the prices go up dramatically.

I'd budget $10-12k with rod holders, lights and controls with digital motors. Closer to 20k if you don't have digital motors.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: uglyducky

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
I've done several of them in recent years. For a full tower with controls, I like Fishing Boats Unlimited. Tony and his crew can handle everything turn key. A lot of the other guys do GREAT work but don't do the controls and wiring.

The big issue that affects price is your motors. If you have electronic controls v(fly by wire - No cables) it's much cheaper. If you need a multi-station solution for older engines like the Glendenning, ZF or Yamaha kit the prices go up dramatically.

I'd budget $10-12k with rod holders, lights and controls with digital motors. Closer to 20k if you don't have digital motors.

Hope this helps.
Thx man. Very helpful. It is indeed a fly by wire system.

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
I've had all four guys build towers and T-tops for me in the past, Ramon @ Chingon, Tony @ Fishing Boats Unlimited, Tom @ Pacific Yacht Towers, and Tom @ Saltwater Specialties.

They all do good work, but for a completely rigged tower, I would use Fishing Boats Unlimited. They have everything you'll need, pretty much in-shop. He's not the cheapest, but can give you a turn-key product with no stress.

Reactions: uglyducky

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
I've had all four guys build towers and T-tops for me in the past, Ramon @ Chingon, Tony @ Fishing Boats Unlimited, Tom @ Pacific Yacht Towers, and Tom @ Saltwater Specialties.

They all do good work, but for a completely rigged tower, I would use Fishing Boats Unlimited. They have everything you'll need, pretty much in-shop. He's not the cheapest, but can give you a turn-key product with no stress.
I’ll reach back out to Tony. Thx for the info guys.

dctrjayyy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
Plus for Tom like the other guy said is he knows whalers up and down since he rebuilds them. So if you need anything else done or just want to bounce ideas off him, he can help.

mahi

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
I have had three boats with polished anodized towers and I agree, polishing and waxing is a PITA, but I like the big tubes for secure hand holds. I never priced the difference between SS and AL. My Henriques had a factory tower that was well built and designed. That was not coming off the boat, no matter the material.