uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Boston Whaler Challenger 27'
I’ve spoken to about half a dozen fabricators in SoCal and am getting prices ranging from $4.5k to $20k (not including controls). What have some of you paid for a custom folding tower with shade, ladder and control box? Boat is 27’ and tower will go on top of pilot house. I’m not adding cost of controls in these prices as I’ll be getting those direct from manufacturer.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Towers are expensive. Get three bids from reputable builders (guys with good designs, good welds and satisfied customers), and make sure the bids all have the same specs including whatever bells and whistles you want. Otherwise, after work has started, the builder may suggest rod holders, antenna mounts, lights, etc. that you didn't specify and at that point it may cost more.

FWIW, based on the very limited info you provided, I would guess $10K + for a good tower.

Reactions: uglyducky

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Towers are expensive. Get three bids from reputable builders (guys with good designs, good welds and satisfied customers), and make sure the bids all have the same specs including whatever bells and whistles you want. Otherwise, after work has started, the builder may suggest rod holders, antenna mounts, lights, etc. that you didn't specify and at that point it may cost more.

FWIW, based on the very limited info you provided, I would guess $10K + for a good tower.
That’s the spread I gave. Those prices are comparing apples to apples on build. I was thinking $9-$11k was where it would be. I guess the $20k outlier is just looking to gouge dudes with money falling out of their pockets.

butcherboy

Retired Bum
Jul 4, 2007
escondido ca.
Name
tom cunningham
Boat
Compton 33 / Gig Harbor Whitehall rowboat
I think this year everything involving the boating industry has been strong.....including pricing.

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
So just to be clear, I’m not looking for a bargain. Just trying to get a sense of the right market price. The $ spread in quotes was confusing to me. I don’t think the $20k tower is going to be twice as good as some of the $9k quoted towers. But if everyone who has had one made tells me they paid $30k I have a better sense of the market and where these quotes land. I do agree the $4.5k quote seemed very low.

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Did you check with Tom Rogers @ Saltwater Specialties ?

Looking for AL or SS?

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Was the alu exactly the same?I have owned towers of anodized alu and non anodized and the finish after a couple years is night and day dif.I would never do a non anodized one again.JMO,Tom

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Was the alu exactly the same?I have owned towers of anodized alu and non anodized and the finish after a couple years is night and day dif.I would never do a non anodized one again.JMO,Tom
same finish. I don’t share your love for anodizing but I get why people like it.

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Sorry, I thought your spread went down to $4.5K
it did. that was the cost i was quoted by one of the well known OC builders. was then told by the $20k guy that he used to work for the $4.5k guy and his stuff is put together by hourly people who don't care, yada yada yada.

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Isn’t C Fab out of business since Steve passed?

Careful, I got ripped off big time by one of those “ I used to work here guys in OC”.

If you want Al , Tom Rodgers is my choice. He built and did great customer support on the custom T top he made for me.

042786E4-9B31-40FB-97C7-17866F525C38.jpeg

Reactions: sbsurfer

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Isn’t C Fab out of business since Steve passed?

Careful, I got ripped off big time by one of those “ I used to work here guys in OC”.

If you want Al , Tom Rodgers is my choice. He built and did great customer support on the custom T top he made for me.
do you have his contact info?

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Sorry, as I do not mean to hijack this thread! But does anyone have a rec for someone they know who can work with aluminum and make a ladder for me without breaking the bank?!

Any idea what I should expect an approximately 48” x 18” custom aluminum ladder to cost??
Why does everyone preface the thing they “don’t” wanna do, then do it? LOL

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Why does everyone preface the thing they “don’t” wanna do, then do it? LOL
You’re absolutely correct. My apologies, as I did not mean to pull a jackass move and hijack the thread. That was not my intention at all. (Comment deleted)
I’ll go ahead and start a new thread like I should have done to begin with....
Please excuse my unsavory conduct 🙏🏽

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Tom Rodgers
Saltwater specialities
714-200-6366

BTW Tom is an expert at Boston Whaler’s

Reactions: uglyducky

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
You’re absolutely correct. My apologies, as I did not mean to pull a jackass move and hijack the thread. That was not my intention at all. (Comment deleted)
I’ll go ahead and start a new thread like I should have done to begin with....
Please excuse my unsavory conduct 🙏🏽
just bustin your stones man.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Tom made a great, custom, huge bait tank for me. I would recommend him. But, given the cost of a tower, I can't imagine why anyone would prefer aluminum. No matter how much time and effort is spent washing and waxing anodized aluminum, it is going to pit. For the guys who didn't mind zits on their faces as teenagers, no big deal, but my personal preference is stainless.