Right Calstar Rod for my HX Raptor

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by kelppaddydaddy, Jun 7, 2018.

1. kelppaddydaddy

kelppaddydaddy Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    Any overnighter cattleboat!
    Just got a Raptor for primarily fishing 80 lb test with Flat Falls. I prefer Calstar rods because they’ve never let me down. I have a 700H but think I might need something beefier, maybe a 700XH? Or should I go shorter and what’s the advantages of rollers or does it matter? Thanks for any experienced info!

2. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    I haven't fished a whole lot of grafighters but from what ive learned from other fisherman if your are planning on fishing 80# top shots you might want to look at the 770 series. What Raptor did you get? HX, HXW, EX 30 etc...

Olddog8 likes this.
  3. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    In the regular series I think the best match is either the 7400xh or the 875xxh although I think they are both better at 60 than 80. I’d agree with Matt that the rail rod builds are better at 80 like the 765, 770, 775, and the new 780 series in either the H or XH variety.

kelppaddydaddy and Olddog8 like this.
  4. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Look at the 7470XXH if you want to fish 80. It can be bumped up to 100 if you want or need to. I'd go to a shop that has a selection for you to pull on and choose what feels best to you. I have 7400XH and it has a really soft tip if you're looking for a bait stick. Imo it is a 60-80 rod. I also have a 700XH and like it for yoyo and wahoo bombin' duty on 50 or 60.

kelppaddydaddy likes this.
  5. here'smymule

here'smymule Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tony Rezzato
    Ben -at my rod wrappers for dinner Friday night. He got two rods kitted up for me at Cal star. 1 is a 775 XXX h that I'm fishing a a T-Rex on with 200 pound. The other is a 775 xh that I'm building 4 A HX Raptor and 80 lb. I have to 775 XXh's that I fish a t-rex with 130 and and HX w with 100. I use titanium turbo guides on them all. After all you really want to be able to cast. That's what I've been doing. Hope this will be helpful. Been using Pac Bay guides with with success. Good luck I hope this is going to helpful

6. kelppaddydaddy

kelppaddydaddy Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    I got the HX Raptor 2 Speed - want to use this as a Lupe rig and flatfalls. For 60/80 pound test. Looks like the 770 series might be best - I’ll go pull on some!

mcrae and skotz like this.
  7. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    That should be a cool set up! Ive read a lot of great things about the 770 series but haven't fished one or seen one in action on a big tuna. Good luck with your search and hope you get to put that set up to work soon!

8. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    775XH

I have an HX Raptor on one and it works great for 80lb. Works with 100lb too (done it) but prefer the UC 76Viper for 100 and 130lb

9. kelppaddydaddy

kelppaddydaddy Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    Seems to be a lot of UC fans out there

10. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    If you fish both rods (I do) on decent size fish, there is no comparison. UC 76 Viper is that good

11. coastalwerks

coastalwerks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lance De Guzman
    Boat:
    Local Kine!
    My HX Raptor 3 speed is paired up with a UC 76 Centaur. Fishing 80-100lb. Next on my hit list is the UC 76 Viper!

Olddog8 likes this.
  12. kelppaddydaddy

kelppaddydaddy Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    Pulled on some UC rods at a tackle shop - the Raptor seemed more like the best matchup, thought Viper was a little much for the Avet. So seems I’m down to either the Calstar 770 series or the Raptor.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  13. geebee

geebee Member

Name:
    Gee Bee
    Boat:
    Partial to AZTEC
    I went with a custom grafighter 700XH on my HX Raptor, 100lb spectra, 60-80lb floro leader as my sardine rig for tuna (100-175lb), haven't fished either yet.

I'm partial to Calstar (and Avet), but went with the lighter 40-100 blank to save my back from pulling on a broom handle and to add a little spring to absorb shocks to my braid - was my reasoning...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  14. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Grafighter 770 series has a rather spongy tip compared to something like the 765, or the 7400 series.

You can drop in a FlatFall on those Bluefin with just about any length rod. If you’re going to be flylining a Sardine at, let’s say Guadalupe, longer rod is better for casting, as well as keeping the line away from the hull. Diameters of fluorocarbon like 80 lb Pro Spec or Premier 100 lb, fishing 25-30 lb at strike, I’d say XXH, whether 770 or 775.