Fishing hurts my ballsac!
Jun 20, 2012
San Clemente
www.joelatterphotographer.com
Name
Joe
Boat
25ft Aquapro Sailfish
Fished yesterday with some friends on a boat that we've been on quite few times. Bummed to find out that the regular Capt had the day off and we would be going with #2. Ok I guess, the crew is solid and the fish have been hanging in the same area for a few days. How could it suck, right? (Play ominous music here!) Well it ended up sucking. If it was my first trip on this boat, I wouldn't be back. My point is that I fish certain boats BECAUSE of the Captain. Either I like his style of fishing, how hard he fishes, his knowledge, consistent time on the water, the way he runs his crew, all of it starts at the top. I've had my share of trips with zero or few fish but still had a great experience. I'll be more attentive for now on in knowing who will be in charge on my few days I get to fish.

My main beef is the crew member who publicly chastised low tippers at the end of the trip. Identifying them in front of everyone and telling them "You are not welcome back on my boat". WTF, your boat? ..and no it wasn't me. Not sure the 1st would have approved. I didn't. Had my boy with too(9) and had to explain that one to him on the ride home.

Guys, I will not post boat or name. Chalk it up to a bad day, we all have them.

Cliff notes: Boats usually don't have the same crew every day. If you're undecided between a couple different boats, might be useful information to know if you're fishing with the "A team" or the backup plan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Fished yesterday with some friends on a boat that we've been on quite few times. Bummed to find out that the regular Capt had the day off and we would be going with #2. Ok I guess, the crew is solid and the fish have been hanging in the same area for a few days. How could it suck, right? (Play ominous music here!) Well it ended up sucking. If it was my first trip on this boat, I wouldn't be back. My point is that I fish certain boats BECAUSE of the Captain. Either I like his style of fishing, how hard he fishes, his knowledge, consistent time on the water, the way he runs his crew, all of it starts at the top. I've had my share of trips with zero or few fish but still had a great experience. I'll be more attentive for now on in knowing who will be in charge on my few days I get to fish.

My main beef is the crew member who publicly chastised low tippers at the end of the trip. Identifying them in front of everyone and telling them "You are not welcome back on my boat". WTF, your boat? ..and no it wasn't me. Not sure the 1st would have approved. I didn't. Had my boy with too(9) and had to explain that one to him on the ride home.
Classic, I did a 3/4 day Trip a few Months ago and found out, when the number 1 Cats away the mice will some time's play

Reactions: Chubby Tuna
Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Calling anyone out for low tipping or even non tipping is totally out of line...Complain to the landing and the boat owner. Also post the boat name here.

Upvote 0

oh da shiz

did you say go pheeesh
Jun 13, 2006
Escondido
Name
Jason
Boat
Ranger Z21

That crew guy must've read the "tip of the week" post about what's expected for tipping..... 30-50% is the norm. Sorry, I couldn't help it. :cheers:

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"

Ok so you didn't like the Capt or the crew. Did you catch fish?

Reactions: NO4NMTL and wils
Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3

Cliff notes: Boats usually don't have the same crew every day. If you're undecided between a couple different boats, might be useful information to know if you're fishing with the "A team" or the backup plan.
I saw the same thing happen this year and it really pissed me off.I really like the boat and captain and have fished this boat alot.I have thought about it hard and next time if i ride this boat ,i will mention it to the captain.He deserves to know and see what happens.I should of said something then but as you said he didnt say it to me,but in front of my wife and I and others.It was the cook when i saw it happen.I wont flame the boat either,but it was fucking low.I felt bad for the people it was a 976 trip and the food was $80 mandatory for 2 day trip collected onnthe boat and i dont think a few thought it would be that much and didnt bring enough cash.ONe who got flamed by him was a older lady whom the wife and i fished by alot and really liked,not cool.

Upvote 0

prater

Almost A Member
Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
Disagree with those calling this useless thread. His purpose was not to lambast a boat whose Captain was away, it was to encourage potential customers to identify a Captain they like and make sure he is actually on the boat for the trip being booked. He specifically said he likes a vessel because of the Captain, not because of the boat. Seems like an excellent point to me.

Upvote 0

Professor

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 17, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Yale
Boat
32' Blackman Sportfisher "Riley"
This thread isn't useless I got to see lots of pretty blue ink again. I wonder who's policy he's enforcing? :puff::puff::puff:

Back to the thread.... When fishing's good the A teams get worn out. B teams are well Be teams for a reason. It's a risk the owners take but the boat runs every day. Some days they take a PR hit and sometimes they get a solid #2 that breaks through. 80% of the day boat deckhands are wanabes. The rest are trying to get on a long range boat.

Reactions: EZYGOING
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
What does this boats name rhyme with.:)

Reactions: oceanjake
Upvote 0

NO4NMTL

Feb 27, 2008
Orange County
Name
Buddy
Boat
205 Conquest
posting a bitch about a boat without naming it is like posting a long story of a epic trip loading the hold till its overflowing with fish and not posting any pictures to prove it.
pointless

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
posting a bitch about a boat without naming it is like posting a long story of a epic trip loading the hold till its overflowing with fish and not posting any pictures to prove it.
pointless
really,i have a business and i would appreciate a good customer telling me first and not on the internet.The op just gave a legitimate report.

Reactions: freegaff2
Upvote 0

NO4NMTL

Feb 27, 2008
Orange County
Name
Buddy
Boat
205 Conquest
really,i have a business and i would appreciate a good customer telling me first and not on the internet.The op just gave a legitimate report.

yes Sir if you don't like something I did let me know face to face if I feel you were done wrong ill make it right if you were wrong ill make you understand

Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
Name
Lalas5
Boat
None
This thread isn't useless I got to see lots of pretty blue ink again. I wonder who's policy he's enforcing? :puff::puff::puff:

Back to the thread.... When fishing's good the A teams get worn out. B teams are well Be teams for a reason. It's a risk the owners take but the boat runs every day. Some days they take a PR hit and sometimes they get a solid #2 that breaks through. 80% of the day boat deckhands are wanabes. The rest are trying to get on a long range boat.
How do u know 80% of day boat deckhands are wannabes. Were u on of them? Not trying to sound like a dick but there's a lot more deckhands that work hard to move up to long range boats or to be captains or to gain experience to move into other jobs on boats. A good friend of mine worked deckhand in San Diego for 5 years to get his captain license to move over to working tug boats and now 3 years later is becoming a pilot. So there's definitely more than 20% wanting more than being a deckhand on day boats. I currently work day to 2 day trips working my way towards my captains license to run a longer trip boat. I know a lot of deckhands looking for that but then there r some who work summers only or part time(b team) and don't give a fuck about the boats reputation

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Disagree with those calling this useless thread. His purpose was not to lambast a boat whose Captain was away, it was to encourage potential customers to identify a Captain they like and make sure he is actually on the boat for the trip being booked. He specifically said he likes a vessel because of the Captain, not because of the boat. Seems like an excellent point to me.
Good luck with a guarantee that a particular Captain will be running the boat unless you're fishing long range.

Upvote 0