rigging metal jigs for tuna

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Brian Tsai, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Brian Tsai

Brian Tsai Newbie

Name:
    Brian Tsai
    Boat:
    in the future
    What is the preferred method for rigging metal jigs (coltsnipers, butterfly, flat fall) for tuna? Use single siwash hooks or a set of assist hooks?

What hook size and pound test should I use for the rigging? I am going on the Catchy 8 Day Open on the American Angler

2. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I use the aki twist hooks on my Colt Snipers...

3. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Colt Snipers have a siwash already. You can swap it out if you think you're gonna straighten it out.

Butterfly takes assist hooks. The size and length of your assist hooks (usually 2) depends upon the size jig you are using (Shimano has some guidelines on what size rings, hooks etc. for what gram jig you are using)

Flat fall jigs take a single assist hook (they come with one). BTW, flat fall jigs only catch fishermen. LOL

I usually use 50# to 80# for my butterfly stuff as it is a reaction bite and you want to be able to move a big YT from its' structure ASAP, especially if you get bit two cranks up from the bottom (nothing like losing $30 jigs). For tuna 40lb. to 50lb. will be more than fine as these are not structure fish.

I usually use Colt Sniper (Megabait - same, same) and flat fall offshore, and 40# is usually adequate. However, again, these are all reaction bites, so heavy line can be your friend. But, the hooks on the colt snipers are not that huge so I wouldn't want to pull as hard as I could with buttoned down 60# for very long, you just may pull the hook.

4. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    Assist hooks, even on traditional irons.

5. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Not any of the ones I bought in the last 3 years. Unless you got suckered into buying "Tuna" rigged by the shop at double the price.

Aki Twist, Owner Split Rings. 80gm get 5/0 up to 130gm that get 7/0.

Assist hook on tail end work too. Need the super shorts.

6. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Here is the way I rig the butterfly and flat fall Jigs.

flat fall 2.png
    flat fall.png

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  7. pescadito

pescadito Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    n/a
    How are you rigging the assist hooks on traditional irons? just a straight swap of treble to assist? I have heard guys are rigging iron as you would a butterfly or the flat fall above but I haven't seen it done in person. is this method effective as well? Not sure how the missing drag off the back would change the swim of a jig besides making it a bit more erratic....

I have also seen guys rigging assiit hooks on poppers as well for the big bft that are around.

8. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    On traditional Irons (tady,salas etc) the standard trebles hooks are placed on the lure with a solid ring (soldered).
    I usually don't mess with these and just use as shown. Some people cut off the ringst/rebels, and some send them out to Jim(ringerdhooks.com) to have them re done with single hooks .

On poppers there are many options . For big fish or for more easier Catch and Release I like to use single hooks/and or assist hooks.
    here are some alternative rigging ideas below.
    pop 4.jpg

tbev and sierraazuel like this.
  9. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    I have rigged them with assist hooks on the front ring and bottom ring. When targeting tuna and swapping out trebles for singles it's easier to cut off a treble and add an assist hook to the bottom rather than put a new ring and hook on. A tady 4/0 with a 3/0 assist hook with fish skin on it swims great and gets a lot of hits on the drop.