Rigging Advice

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Joseph Hough, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Joseph Hough

Joseph Hough Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    TBird
    So I'm new here and if this isn't the right place for this discussion please let me know.
    I'll be traveling to Cali July 11 and taking an overnight trip going out for yellowtail out of the LA area (the Thunderbird). My question is what is the best all around rod and reel (line) set up? I've been looking around and my biggest issue the rod. I'd like to go as light as possible. I have an Ambassador 10000but was thinking that would be too much. Also what type and pound test line should I use along with any other advice wouldbe helpful.

2. BASSMITH

BASSMITH Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    18ft basstracker "the other woman"
    You can rent what you need at the landing

3. MAG0121

MAG0121 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Marco Gonzalez
    Boat:
    Nah
    Plenty of yellows are caught on lighter bass gear, but you run the risk of getting wrecked by a larger model or by the sea lions who will have a lot more chance to pick you off as you finesse the fish on lighter line.

The reel is not too much, but for my light yellowtail value setup, I a Daiwa Proteus, 8ft, MHF (15-30lb rated) with one of the new Daiwa Saltist 15H reels, spooled with 50lb braid and a 20yd topshot of 25lb mono. On top of that I'll run 15-30lb flouro leader depending on what's biting.

mackereljoe likes this.
  4. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I’d go with a avet mxl sizes reel with 65 lb braid

5. DPevin

DPevin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    kayak
    any 30# setup to fish live bait.

6. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    You didn't give a budget, but for a good cheaper solution:

Go to eBay and buy a brand new Daiwa Sealine SL20SH from Tackle Direct for $79.95. Use coupon code PSUPERSUMMER today only and get $15 off the order. So with shipping it comes to $72.90. Put 20lb mono on the reel. Any rod rated around 15-30lb in the 7'-8' range would be a good fit. Some inexpensive ~$70-$80 rod suggestions: Okuma Cortez, Ugly Stik, Daiwa Seagate. The new Daiwa VIP-A rods are nice too for around $100. The Cortez rod is super light and would be a fun combo with the Sealine. Good luck.

yessokk, Chicago Pete and clevel like this.
  7. clevel

clevel Captain in Learning

Name:
    Cabo Jack
    Boat:
    Cobia 261
    You are right about how light the Okuma Cortez is and when combined with a size 5 or 8 Okuma reel or Daiwa Saltist 30 size..it is just a lot of fun and power. I ended with Five Cortez rods! The finish is not fancy but can't beat the performance for the price. LOL.

rexor_rn, Chicago Pete and MRC70 like this.
  8. Joseph Hough

Joseph Hough Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    TBird
    Thanks,
    My budget would be in the $300 range.

9. Joseph Hough

Joseph Hough Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    TBird
    Okay guys, really appreciate all the advice and I want to share what i'm leaning towards after lots of research. Keep in mind I wanted something versatile so I can use it here fishing for king mackerel, bull reds, and suchas well as for a trip to Massachusetts fishing for big canal stripers, etc.
    Reel - Shimano Tranx 400AHG spooled with 50# braid with 10-20 yards 30# floro topshot.
    I was thinking the tranx 500HG but I know guys who use that for 100 plus pound tarpon so think that would be a bit of overkill.
    Rod - Bass Pro Shop 7'6" med/hvy muskie rod.
    I'm posting pics.
    Please let me know what ya'll think.

Screenshot_20180622-192619_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180622-192546_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180622-184302_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20180622-184226_Chrome.jpg

10. MRC70

MRC70 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    MRC
    Boat:
    not yet
    Reel is top of the line. No clue about that rod. Is it a 2-piece?

Luke likes this.
  11. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    If you’re shipping the rod back, recent changes to postal/shipping rates have made it extremely expensive to mail one piece rods in the 8’ range. Just letting you know. Might be better to get a solid 2 piece rod that will be easier to carry on or ship.

Seems like that model you’re interested in is a 2 piece rod. That could be good. But Muskie blanks generally have a very heavy tip. I think you would want something just a little lighter for the fishing we do around here.

12. Joseph Hough

Joseph Hough Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    TBird
    yes but at the moment I'm really considering an 8 or 8'6" med heavy purchased when I get to anaheim. That way I'll save $75 on the over sized baggage with just the return trip.
    I actually bought a 9ft 2 piece custom built with MH action and a split grip. Tip will be a bit stiff but it was the best compromise I could make due to over sized baggage fees. I also madea last second change in the reel and wentwth the Daiwa Lexa 400HD mainly because of the higher line capacity and stainless steel main gear vs brass will hold up better. 25 pounds of max drag doesn't hurt either.
    Thanks

13. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Get an Okuma Cotez-A Rod 7’0” MH or H for around $60-$70 (FishUSA) then paired it with Okuma Cortez 5A star drag reel for around $110 (Fishermens Headquarters).....Underated Sweet Value Combo backed by Okuma’s Excellent Customer Service.

That leaves you around $100 for your trip or you can add just $15 and buy another great reel on sale at ebay: Pro Gear V20 for just $115 at Ebay then you have a sweet machine aluminum back up which perform like a Trinidad :-)

14. rexor_rn

rexor_rn Mangingisda

Name:
    Mananagat
    Boat:
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Grab the Okuma Nomad Xpress Travel Rod....Great Rods...I brought 2 on my Hawaii trip before and just hand carry & put in the planes overhead compartment easily.

15. Joseph Hough

Joseph Hough Newbie

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    TBird
    Okay, talk about the ultimate flip flopper, I ultimately chose to stick with my original reel...TranX 400AHG. It will be paired with a custom built 2 pc muskie rod (9' MH). I felt the rod was the best compromise since I'll need something heavy enough to pitch irons on the boat as well as 2-4 oz spoons from the jetties, but still be able to toss a 3-4" anchovy. Having the smooth Shimano gears will be a plus for that as well. Now my final decision is line. Should I go with 300 yards of 40# or 250 yards of 50# braid? From there I'm going to use an FG knot to attach 5 feet of 40# floro leader. Also if anyone has recommendations for brand. I use power pro super slick 8 on all of my smaller baitcasters and they cast like a dream but not sure on such a big reel. I have 6 days to get everything set up. Thanks to all of those who've given advice.