kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    In anticipation of that I am booked on my trip this year, next year, the year after, etc, etc, etc. I have a galley level room this trip. Yeah, I'll get beat up a little more if it's rough, but I won't have as far to stagger at 0300 when it's time for my old ass to pee. LOLLOLLOL
    Unless you pee over the side, They have bathrooms down stairs and a 1 or 2 staterooms had a bathroom in them down stairs.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    I appreciate the feedback. The length of the boat plays a big part in that? Or possibly does it have a steel frame? Would be interesting to learn about that boat a bit more.
    Maybe you should go to a boat building website and learn about how boats are built, and read about hull design as that effects the boats performance the most, instead of asking fellow fisherman to give you a dissertation on the finer points of boat building. You could call the boats office and ask them who built it and then call them to answer you questions on how it was built.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    Maybe you should go to a boat building website and learn about how boats are built, and read about hull design as that effects the boats performance the most, instead of asking fellow fisherman to give you a dissertation on the finer points of boat building. You could call the boats office and ask them who built it and then call them to answer you questions on how it was built.
    What a fucking dick answer.

Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    What a fucking dick answer.
    How is that a dick answer? what is any of us supposed to do? give him a 500 page dissertation on boat building? displacement hulls verses semi displacement hulls. if you ain't on an ocean liner or an aircraft carrier and I've been on an aircraft carrier and still feel the ocean movement, When your on a 100 foot boat give or take a few feet guess what, your gonna feel the ocean, Now what? we gotta give him an exact weather forecast for his trip. If your going UPHILL to SD on your return , it's gonna be lumpy! some more then others! That's what scopolamine patch's are for. HOW'S THAT?

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Never done a Guadalupe trip due to dreading that uphill ride back home in big swells. Ive done 3 and 4 day trips on the Vagabond, Shogun multiple times. What LR boat would you recommend that rides well for a trip like this, especially in rough seas? Was thinking about the Excel but haven't been on it yet. Thx in advance.
    Getting back on track with the discussion. Generally, the bigger the boat, the better it’s going to handle the slop. Prepare yourself with proper meds, try to get a bunk in the aft part of the vessel, and hope the weather man shows you a little mercy. It’s going to depend on your tolerance and what you know you can handle. One person’s “rough” might be another’s “breezy”. And you know, no matter the destination, crap weather happens…

Upvote 0

JohnTFT

Insomniac
    Feb 11, 2007
    The "718"
    Name
    John
    Boat
    A big Steel One
    Lol

Weather can’t control it why sweat the details?

I always stay in a bow stateroom. So quiet. Nice rolling action. When it’s rough get up against the side of the boat and position the cushion so you dont roll out. Best sleeping time I get all year.

I ride the Excel only. She’s wet, but a monster in big seas. Fished her @ HB one year in some savage weather. Amazing experience.

Lights out fishing. We would haul the anchor at night to ride down sea to get a good nights sleep.

I always say - just get on the boat. It always works out.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    Lol

Weather can’t control it why sweat the details?

I always stay in a bow stateroom. So quiet. Nice rolling action. When it’s rough get up against the side of the boat and position the cushion so you dont roll out. Best sleeping time I get all year.

I ride the Excel only. She’s wet, but a monster in big seas. Fished her @ HB one year in some savage weather. Amazing experience.

Lights out fishing. We would haul the anchor at night to ride down sea to get a good nights sleep.

I always say - just get on the boat. It always works out.

I always ask for the bow stateroom against the hull on the Angler and do the exact same thing. Sleep like a baby no matter how bumpy or sloppy it gets

Reactions: JohnTFT
    Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    I have never let concern about the weather dictate a long range trip. You take what you get, and deal with it. Bigger boats are likely the best choice.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I have never let concern about the weather dictate a long range trip. You take what you get, and deal with it. Bigger boats are likely the best choice.
    I’ve been pretty much with you on that, but I’m changing next season. Getting a little more picky. Have had many great Spring 8 day trips, but this year just didn’t work for me. We traveled to the Rocks, caught some very nice Yellowtail. Made bait after dinner and fished until maybe 10:00 or 11:00.

Then pounded our way back up to fish the Bluefin. Uncomfortable to say the least. Then, damn Bluefin very hard to get in the daylight hours, only a couple of guys had a shot on a kite fish. So, if you wanted to try for them it meant staying up, fishing the jigs. Turns out, this old fart doesn’t do well fishing at night. Just not my thing.

So, I’m not going to roll the dice with a possible repeat of that.
    No Spring 8 day next year for me.

Upvote 0

Ksurg

Jul 14, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    KB
    Boat
    Outer Limits
    Well, I get the concern. But regardless of the boat there are things you can do. Be aware of the weather. Don’t eat the big greasy sliders at lunch or drink too much alcohol.

Good meds help. Lol, trust me I’m a doc. For the record an uncomfortable uphill ride is not as bad as a quartered big sea or a confused swell. Anyway, I agree with the many of the prior posts but worry and apprehension won’t help. For what’s it worth good skippers always try to make the trip as comfortable as possible.

greatbasin

• Jun 22, 2007
    Idaho
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Knot Yet
    I like a bow stateroom as it almost guarantees very little side to side roll and that is what makes me feel the worst.

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Excel
    Re the Big X, I was on it a couple of weeks ago when big swells had water washing over the top deck. It rode great!

Last edited:
    Reactions: xob
    Upvote 0