Almost A Member
Mar 30, 2003
Huntington beach CA
www.google.com
Name
ob
Boat
no
Never done a Guadalupe trip due to dreading that uphill ride back home in big swells. Ive done 3 and 4 day trips on the Vagabond, Shogun multiple times. What LR boat would you recommend that rides well for a trip like this, especially in rough seas? Was thinking about the Excel but haven't been on it yet. Thx in advance.

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
NorCal
Name
Boat
19' Hobie
Excel have two trips this upcoming December that will be fishing specifically at Guadualupe. The trip is about six days, with four days of fishing.

Reactions: locvetter and xob
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I have done 10 or12 Guadalupe trips in the past 6 or 7 years and the trip back has never been a big issue on any of the trips. Usually you head back at the end of the day after dinner so you are asleep in your bunk for most of the crossing. If the weather is kind of rough they sometimes head toward the coast instead of straight to Ensenada and you come up the coast past San Martin and Colonet. Once you are close to the coast the ride is usually pretty smooth.
I usually ride on the Shogun and the boat rides pretty good in rough water.
The run from Guadalupe to Ensenada is only about 18 hours and you sleep through half of that. It is a lot better than the 50 hour run from the ridge or the rocks. Those trips can seem like a really long ride when the water is rough

Lake
Lake
I was going to say the same thing, although I’ve only been there 5 or 6 times. I’ve never noticed anything different. I’d recommend any boat that fishes there. Shoot, see if you can on a limited load on the Apollo.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

xob

Almost A Member
Mar 30, 2003
Huntington beach CA
www.google.com
Name
ob
Boat
no
I have done 10 or12 Guadalupe trips in the past 6 or 7 years and the trip back has never been a big issue on any of the trips. Usually you head back at the end of the day after dinner so you are asleep in your bunk for most of the crossing. If the weather is kind of rough they sometimes head toward the coast instead of straight to Ensenada and you come up the coast past San Martin and Colonet. Once you are close to the coast the ride is usually pretty smooth.
I usually ride on the Shogun and the boat rides pretty good in rough water.
The run from Guadalupe to Ensenada is only about 18 hours and you sleep through half of that. It is a lot better than the 50 hour run from the ridge or the rocks. Those trips can seem like a really long ride when the water is rough
Thank you very much for the reply.

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
Excel
Up the line isn't that bad.....what's....interesting... is being in the trough coming back to the beach from HB.....you know it's gonna get sporty when the deckhands have "that look" on their faces and start stowing away everything in the galley. That dead calm just before the captain turns her east is pretty eerie.

Rx85ou.png

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    The ride up isn’t bad at all especially in the Fall. Riding over and back to and from Ensenada is where it gets a little rolly and sloppy at times. You’re going to have to deal with that no matter the size of the boat

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    ALL boats that go to Guadalupe are pretty
    good riding back up the line.
    THE QUESTION is WHEN are you booking your trip? Dates?
    The weather, wind, swell forecast then? Could make a difference,
    All come into play this time of year I think.

I roll with the "You'll be too tired
    after fishing the island, it won't
    bother you" answer. LOL

Reactions: xob and woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    Have been on a more than one of the LR boats when it was sloppy...I ain't dead yet. Don't restrict your choices to what boat you "think" will ride better. If you're worried ask for a lower room in the middle of the boat...it's probably your best chance at a "smooth" ride. At some point you'll probably get beat to death no matter what. :p Just take what comes in stride and don't worry about it.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Have been on a more than one of the LR boats when it was sloppy...I ain't dead yet. Don't restrict your choices to what boat you "think" will ride better. If you're worried ask for a lower room in the middle of the boat...it's probably your best chance at a "smooth" ride. At some point you'll probably get beat to death no matter what. :p Just take what comes in stride and don't worry about it.
    What I don't like is riding a boat that has the heads on the main deck. Nothing in the stateroom area. And when it gets rough at night and you have to go pee....................Ugh.

surfgoose
    surfgoose
    I agree. I don't do overnight trips on any of those old design boats, even though some of them are outstanding at finding fish.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    John Gleaves
    Boat
    20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
    Done more than a few trips since they opened up a couple of years back. Always fished the Vagabond. One does not go directly uphill into the swell as if they were going directly to San Diego. No direct or almost direct pound into the swell. Lucky you.

but what you get instead is side to side roll in the trough due to prevalent west/north west swell angle and the compass bearing straight to Ensenada. Side to side roll sucks especially for the cooks. As mentioned earlier, sometimes we altered course more towards Colonet to get less roll with a better angle/bearing.

Whatever the weather, Guadalupe is worth it to me. With the new permit system, the permit runs from midnight of one day to the end of the same day. So the boats will fish all day till darkish, have dinner along the lee of the island, get in your shower, and then start the trip back. but the trip takes the night and much of the next day so you do not " sleep through the whole crossing". We would paddy hop some on the way back. Last trip threw in the towel early as the weather was rough and slowed the boat down some and we had to stop fishing to make the return time to Ensenada in the day and SD bay the next AM.

Advice is to TIE DOWN YOUR TACKLE BOX. The side to side roll sends many flying , especially the guys who have 4 rods in the tubes attached to the box( top heavy).

Now go book your trip as they are filling fast for 2022

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Done more than a few trips since they opened up a couple of years back. Always fished the Vagabond. One does not go directly uphill into the swell as if they were going directly to San Diego. No direct or almost direct pound into the swell. Lucky you.

but what you get instead is side to side roll in the trough due to prevalent west/north west swell angle and the compass bearing straight to Ensenada. Side to side roll sucks especially for the cooks. As mentioned earlier, sometimes we altered course more towards Colonet to get less roll with a better angle/bearing.

Whatever the weather, Guadalupe is worth it to me. With the new permit system, the permit runs from midnight of one day to the end of the same day. So the boats will fish all day till darkish, have dinner along the lee of the island, get in your shower, and then start the trip back. but the trip takes the night and much of the next day so you do not " sleep through the whole crossing". We would paddy hop some on the way back. Last trip threw in the towel early as the weather was rough and slowed the boat down some and we had to stop fishing to make the return time to Ensenada in the day and SD bay the next AM.

Advice is to TIE DOWN YOUR TACKLE BOX. The side to side roll sends many flying , especially the guys who have 4 rods in the tubes attached to the box( top heavy).

The guys that left 4 rods in tubes and not tied down, usually find their tackle scattered all over the wet deck in the morning. LOL

Upvote 0

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ennis, Montana
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    The Searcher
    In anticipation of that I am booked on my trip this year, next year, the year after, etc, etc, etc. I have a galley level room this trip. Yeah, I'll get beat up a little more if it's rough, but I won't have as far to stagger at 0300 when it's time for my old ass to pee. LOLLOLLOL

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    My stateroom on the Indy had a emergency hatch in the ceiling and a head and shower right outside our door!LOVED it except I was the oldest and had to climb my 75 year old ass to the top bunk!Tom

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

CMYSIX

• Aug 22, 2020
    Opelika al
    Name
    Quinn L Chenelle
    Boat
    Independence
    My stateroom on the Indy had a emergency hatch in the ceiling and a head and shower right outside our door!LOVED it except I was the oldest and had to climb my 75 year old ass to the top bunk!Tom
    your cabin mate must have been a prince of a man.

Upvote 0

mooose29

Sin Bin
    Oct 7, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Josh R
    Boat
    Sin Bin
    I appreciate the feedback. The length of the boat plays a big part in that? Or possibly does it have a steel frame? Would be interesting to learn about that boat a bit more.
    I think length, weight and width, at 32 she is wide, Also the X sits low to the water so the boat rolls less than some others.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0