KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Wonder if you moored it around Aberdeen somewhere in the fresh water if it would kill everything. I guess the big question is if it would fall off. On the big boats we'd at times have a heck of a time with clogged strainers from all the dead stuff if we went up into Lake Union for a layup.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
The whole deal with bottom cleaning is staying ahead of it. You may need a regular maintenance in the off season to keep it from getting barnacles and needing a scraper. Scrapers are bad, because the diver is underwater with poor visibility and trying to get it done and if not careful will jack up your bottom paint....

A green scotchbrite is good... Some people want to stay way up on it and don’t even want something as abrasive as a scotchbrite.

I know a guy..... He gets carpet scraps and has the diver scrub his bottom with that, so it doesn’t hurt his bottom.. I think that is overkill....

The diver who dives on our boat in PV has a green scotchbrite and a 10” Drywall blade for scraping..

Reactions: EJ Swanny

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
But do you guys really think a few months of growth is going to slow it down this much?

I’m pretty new to mooring boats for months at a time but I don’t see any performance decrease on my boat. It sits in the water a couple months and gets barnacles and shit on it. still sees the same numbers as far as I can tell.

do they latch on to aluminum more? One motor already burned up? Seems like these 350s might be a little low on the bottom end for the application to me.

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
Feb 15, 2012
Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
Name
Howard
Boat
Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
But do you guys really think a few months of growth is going to slow it down this much?

I’m pretty new to mooring boats for months at a time but I don’t see any performance decrease on my boat. It sits in the water a couple months and gets barnacles and shit on it. still sees the same numbers as far as I can tell.

do they latch on to aluminum more? One motor already burned up? Seems like these 350s might be a little low on the bottom end for the application to me.
Yes- last summer I got behind it and couldn't get about 4800 rpm and was burning 2x the amount of fuel as normal.

My regular diver bailed on me and was down in mileage by 25% till it got done this weekend.

I need to switch paints. You would think 40mph would clean anything off... nope

Reactions: wdlfbio

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
We will know, once it gets cleaned. I do think that if a rig is near the lower end of the power to weight ratio, the added drag may result in an exponential negative impact rather than just linear. So, we could see a bigger drop in performance than other boats. 700 ponies does a good job of moving SlapShot, but nowhere close to “over-powered”.

hopefully, we will know soon.

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I remember I read that a freshly painted bottom will loose like 20 percent effency in 30 days.My diver feels the bottom on the 21 whaler is clean BUT after 30 days the boat still looses about 2KTs and gets .2 less MPG.Just ran the boat to the Farm and back yesterday,the day after he cleaned it and the speed and mileage was back.FWIW again.Tom

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat

It really depends on growth and size of vessel. It can be huge! The guy in the boat next to me has a 60’ and he had paid a guy to dive on his boat and clean it.... Headed out and could not get over 4-5 knots....

He used an under water camera/sub to look and the guy had been ripping him off washing the areas that could be seen and not the bottom... 60’ of resistance can cause a lot of drag.... cleaned his bottom and he could get 10-12 knots...

My Rampage after a dirty winter it could suck 10-20% from me.... pull it out and scrub it and viola...

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
If they are both trimmed the same running the same rpm and one engine is using more fuel it is most likely a coil or a plug issue, you can test the coils easily enough by running the engine at idle and disconnecting one fuel injector at a time, when you get to the one that does not make a difference when disconnected that is the faulty cylinder.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
If they are both trimmed the same running the same rpm and one engine is using more fuel it is most likely a coil or a plug issue, you can test the coils easily enough by running the engine at idle and disconnecting one fuel injector at a time, when you get to the one that does not make a difference when disconnected that is the faulty cylinder.
nope....

Baby J

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 28, 2017
Puyallup
Name
Jeremy
Boat
23' Walkaround
Someone needs to open a dry stack marina in Westport. My boat would be there instantly if they did. They are everywhere on the gulf coast but I only know of the one in Tacoma around here.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
We will know, once it gets cleaned. I do think that if a rig is near the lower end of the power to weight ratio, the added drag may result in an exponential negative impact rather than just linear. So, we could see a bigger drop in performance than other boats. 700 ponies does a good job of moving SlapShot, but nowhere close to “over-powered”.

hopefully, we will know soon.
If you guys are looking for a diver to do this, Limey's neighbor does this.

Reactions: wdlfbio

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Haaaaaaa.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Without proper bottom-paint, it can get bad fast. Like G said, stay on top of it, if mooring more than a few months w/o bottom paint or even 6-7 with. Divers I hired used carpet scrubbers. I believe I paid about a hundie each time, WELL worth the hassle of doing it yourself. It grows exponentially as well, once it gets a foot-hold, it spreads like locusts...

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
Apr 9, 2009
Auburn & Westport, WA.
Name
Dave
Boat
Looking for a Delta
You could run it up the river to Howard’s shop and get a proper haul-out and put eyes on everything. Anybody have any Suzuki diagnostic software or scan tool that could be hooked up to these motors?
As for octane boost, they have their issues. I’d buy some VP114 or Aviation fuel to get the octane up. It would be nice to verify the ECM’s aren’t seeing the knock sensors trip. Knock strategy would easily explain low R’s and increase fuel consumption. (Protection)

Reactions: Baby J

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Theres no question the hull should be kept clean.

I dont understand why a dirty hull would only affect one motor of twins..

Or I totally missed something

carrie's bait boy

No ones prostaff
Apr 17, 2015
Kent WA and Westport WA
Name
norm
Boat
Too many
Theres no question the hull should be kept clean.

I dont understand why a dirty hull would only affect one motor of twins..

Or I totally missed something
Clarification. It’s both motors. It leveled out on fuel burn depending on trim. I had one motor trimmed up and one down due to how we were running on the swells that day. My bad for not explaining clearly.

Reactions: FVSerenity

Wild Bill

Forgettable member
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I have needed to re-do my bottom paint for a couple of years now but if I pull boat every 1.5 months or so a quick pressure wash is all that is needed. Well it was in for 3 months and I started to notice rpm, speed and economy changing so I knew it was time. Final straw was losing bottom on the finder which really never happens at any speed. I pulled it this week and beside the layer of slime it had about 6-8 little colonies of barnacles propagating, one right in front of through hull transducer. This winter I definitely need to schedule a slot with Bob.

Reactions: goatram

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
I have needed to re-do my bottom paint for a couple of years now but if I pull boat every 1.5 months or so a quick pressure wash is all that is needed. Well it was in for 3 months and I started to notice rpm, speed and economy changing so I knew it was time. Final straw was losing bottom on the finder which really never happens at any speed. I pulled it this week and beside the layer of slime it had about 6-8 little colonies of barnacles propagating, one right in front of through hull transducer. This winter I definitely need to schedule a slot with Bob.
Get yourself on his calendar now, he fills-up quick!

Reactions: Wild Bill

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Is a bottom of this bad?

Attachments