RICE BOWL CHARTERS - SHOGUN 3 DAY 8/7-8/10

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rice Bowl, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Rice Bowl

Rice Bowl Newbie

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    37', Pacemaker, After U
    3 Day Ricebowl Charter on the Shogun

I was invited on a 3 day Ricebowl Charter on the Shogun.....I was picked up early and drove down to San Diego with Fred Morioka, the chartermaster....we picked up one of his charter members from a motel in San Diego and headed to Perry's for breakfast....I can honestly say, that I have NEVER had so much fun NOT FISHING......Fred Morioka does a great job organizing these charters...the trips start at the docks when the "Ricebowl cocktail servers" arrive and start serving cocktails on the docks to all of the passengers....the party continues while loading the boat...it was a bit sad when the girls had to depart before we left for the bait receivers... We had premium (grade AAAAA) sardines for bait....after being served a great hot lunch, I elected to go take a nap...slept for a couple of hours (Fred picked me up at 3:45 AM!)...Woke up to the sound of the throttles being pulled back....25 miles from Pt. Loma and Aaron is metering tuna...We hooked about 100 mixed (BFT and YFT) that afternoon.....I hooked the first fish of the day...a smaller Bluefin Tuna (15#)..later in the bite, I had an embarrassing moment when one of the fish took me into the running gear...the crew helped me get the fish out...I am pulling like mad when ZING POW, the frayed line had enough and parted with a loud pop! As I turn to go get another rod, I realize that the camera was ON ME! The camera guy and I had a good laugh! The Inside Sportfishing camera guy was definitely kept busy this afternoon...At dinner, Fred passed out sponsor t-shirts with instructions to wear them in the morning...We drifted during the night and woke up with tuna under the boat...I counted 11 boats around us.....FLAT CALM conditions with a very slight warm breeze....no need for warm clothing!

At gray light, Aaron fired up the engines and we continued our journey South...I did see quite a few of the "big boats" all in our area...we did not run far before shutting down on a large school of Bluefin Tuna...nicer fish too! We fished this SAME school until dark...never fired up the engines again...the fish stayed with us...nice pick bite with 4 or 5 fish going all the time. The crew did an excellent job of spiking the fish, tagging them and flushing out their stomachs before putting them into the RSW...Because I was "hooking and handing", I lost count of how many fish I kept today...HOWEVER, I did hook and land the first fish of the day!! Wooo hooo!

The camera guy was definitely earning his pay today....these fish were really taxing our tackle.

The weather was excellent.....overcast skies and flat calm seas...just a very slight breeze!

I am rambling with no direction in this log.....so excuse me if it is difficult to follow...my notes were not kept current.....

On most of the "better" long range boats, you are fed three meals.....however, the better boats will serve a morning snack and an afternoon snack....the Shogun cooks did an excellent job..fresh baked pastries for the mornings...root beer floats, etc for the afternoons.....On the Ricebowl Charters, the chartermaster made it’s own bottled Rice Bowl Charters Bloody Mary mix drinks, professionally made and labeled by( Michael Grant) in the mornings and Margarita drinks in the afternoon.....we were constantly eating or drinking...laughing and fishing......

I think I spent an hour talking to Josh the cook (he recognized me when I got on the boat) today...he cooked on the RP a looong time ago...he asked me how Stef (my daughter) was doing...Aaron joined the conversation for a while...we talked about mutual friends....he made my head a bit larger by thanking me for coming...called me a great asset to helping make the trip a fun one...he loved my "hook and hand" job that I was doing....I went to the shower early to beat the crowd....but, so did a few other people....I finally showered and went back outside to watch everyone fish....The action got to me...I had to get "one more"...so, I got dirty again!

We fished until dark....had a great dinner and joked with Aaron while he tried to give us his daily report...Fred passed out more "gifts" tonight....As soon as this was over, I ran down to my bunk and tossed and turned for 2 seconds before falling asleep!

The ocean is flat calm and I had no problem sleeping through the night...I got up at 4 and went topside...Josh is up and making breakfast..his coffee is one of the best in the fleet! He uses a 50-50 mix of Peet's Italian blend and Costco's (Kirkland) coffee.....WOW! Great stuff!...chatted some more as I drank coffee and watched the news on TV..about 5:45, I went out and flylined a sardine.......about 10 seconds later, "BITER!!".....first fish on for the day..a 20 pound YFT. A lot of folks come scrambling out to fish...we picked at the YFT until it was time to fire up the engines and go look for the Bluefin....as we are running and stopping on different meter marks, I witnessed the most elaborate joke EVER!....and it worked to perfection!

one of the guys on the trip (Steve) mentioned that he wanted to catch some tuna and cross it off his bucket list...so, his friends let Fred know about his wish...eventually, a devious plan was concocted.. On the first safety seminar as we are leaving the harbor, Captain Aaron tells us the standard stuff...life vests, epirb, man over board, etc.....then he talks about fishing for YFT and BFT in the afternoon...everyone perked up when he started to talk about fishing.....in closing, Aaron mentions that some of the boats had seen VERY LARGE Big Eye Tuna in a secret location...Aaron told us that he wanted to check it out at the end of our trip...Steve is all ears when mention of 100 pound Big Eye Tuna is mentioned...

Well, as we are trolling, Fred gets gear out of his room..and tells Steve that he is the lucky winner of a drawing held and he will be on the first trolling team..."We only troll 3 people for Big Eye because we want to land the fish with little or no complications"...only the 3 trollers will be allowed to fish the Big Eye...The crew (all briefed on this joke) help Steve put on his harness and big pad......and a helmet and safety glasses......the other two guys who are in on the joke dress up also...picture 3 trollers with helmets and safety glasses, harnesses, pads, etc...it was hilarious...crew explains that they have to wear the gear for insurance purposes...as these tuna have "soft mouths" and they tend to throw the hook when they are close to the boat and no one wanted to get hit by the hook if the fish spits the hook...Our camera man from Inside Sportfishing calls one of the trollers up for an interview beside the bait tank...as this mock interview is going on, I looked at Steve and could see the ridiculously decked out Steve getting nervous...Camera man calls Steve next...so, as Steve is totally distracted and focused on the camera man, the crew clips a bucket filled with about 4 inches of concrete on Steve's trolling line...zzzzzzzzzzzz, the clicker on the trolling rod is screaming! Steve runs back and with the crew's help, gets the rod unclipped from the rail, put the butt into his oversized plate and hook the reel up to his kidney harness...he starts to "pump" the rod when the crew (and the rest of the laughing audience) yell, "Crank, crank, crank!"...after about 3 or 4 minutes of furious cranking, Steve is starting to huff and puff....and his cranking is also slowing...the trolling rod furthest away from Steve is put into free spool (with the clicker on).....everyone is yelling, "HOOK UP!"....I am "coaching" Steve and am close enough to hear him mutter, "Good someone else will be suffering too"......Crewmembers are telling Steve that he has a trophy Big Eye on the line......Steve is now perspiring and fogging up his safety goggles..however slow, he is still winding on the reel..Captain Aaron is bumping the boat into gear periodically, so it looks like the "Big Eye" is running some drag..plus turning the wheel makes poor Steve move a step or two to the right and left... to "follow his fish".....eventually, the bucket of cement is straight up and down and Steve is gaining line...I told him to step back because this is where it really gets dangerous and I pulled him a good 5 or 6 feet back so he can't see the bucket...the deck hand yells for a gaff and changes it to two gaffs.....and he marvels at the size of this HUGE Big Eye...meanwhile, everyone is encouraging Steve to wind, wind, wind!...one gaff goes in and the second follows..both crew members are pulling the bucket up and the rest of the passengers are cheering.....then, Steve saw the bucket.....

Very well choreographed and acted out by EVERYONE........poor Steve! Steve will remember this trip for the rest of his life! Oh, and I think Steve did get part of the JP......he can check Big Eye Tuna off his "bucket" list.......

We found a large school of BFT that wanted to bite and drifted on it for the entire day...flew the kite and had some great blowouts around us...at one point in our drift, the 1/2 day boat, Royal Polaris cut across our chumline......but, it didn't bother the BFT...they continued to bite!

On each day of our 3 day trip, we had over 100 tuna caught...great trip!

Passengers had a great time....if they weren't fishing, drinking or eating, they were involved in a "contest".....Crew vs Passenger...teams gaffing empty beer cans dropped from the bow...or casting contests....trying to hit a blow up doll being towed behind the boat....I don't know if we ever got to the putting contest or not.....

As the fish was being sorted, Sean (Fisherman's Processing) told me that we had the bigger grade of YFT (20 to 30#ers)....most of the other boats had the little peanuts....

In the past month, I have been on five multi day trips (1.5 day, 2 day and three 3 day trips)..and this one rates as the BEST!

I drove Fred's truck home and let him sit shotgun.....as we are getting on the freeway, I marveled at all the work he put into his charter...his reply was, "ZZZZZ ZZZZZ ZZZZZ"!

Looking forward to another one of the Ricebowl Charters!!!

Howard H.

Listen to Aaron on his fish reports:

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_plugins/landing/audio.php?btrack.37.1407472053

http://www.Terrence's website/e107_plugins/landing/audio.php?btrack.37.1407626543

upload_2014-8-12_16-20-53.png
    upload_2014-8-12_16-22-13.png upload_2014-8-12_16-23-27.png upload_2014-8-12_16-25-16.png
    upload_2014-8-12_16-26-45.png
    upload_2014-8-12_16-28-9.png
    upload_2014-8-12_16-29-57.png
    upload_2014-8-12_16-31-12.png

2. redsnapper517

redsnapper517 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Great Report Howard .
    It was great to see you at the landing . Glad you had a great Trip.
    Greg

3. rockfish123

rockfish123 Newbie

Name:
    Stan
    Boat:
    None
    Wow nice! Fish too

4. Chris Penning

Chris Penning Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Total Ho
    Priceless...just priceless.

5. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    That was a fantastic report, concrete in a bucket...unbelievable!

6. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Ahhh.... The infamous White Sea Bucket... My favorite species to hand off. :p:

7. Wandering Blues

Wandering Blues I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    Holy shit, I just passed coffee thru my nose reading the "Big Eye" account! That was friggin classic. What an amazing charter to be on. Sounds like a very cool group of folks.

8. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    A boatful of pranksters......that was funny

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Howroid. Another successful romp on the ocean brought to you by Rice Bowl Charters. Gotta love that guy.

10. snordo

snordo Newbie

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    Indy
    See you all the July trip next year!

11. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Oh man, that is by far the best fishing report that I have ever read in my entire life!!!!!!!! I was almost crying from laughing so damn hard.....the helmet, goggles, cement bucket. Poor Steve, i sure hope Inside Sportfishing airs this on the new episode. Classic and what great comedy. Awesome job!