RICE BOWL CHARTERS 8 DAY SHOGUN 9/2-9/10 2017

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Rice Bowl, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Rice Bowl

Rice Bowl Newbie

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    37', Pacemaker, After U
    We left the bait receivers and I was called to the wheelhouse…..Captain Rene and I talked about our options on where to go fish…The XL, American Angler and Royal Star all left today…they were all going down to the ridge…So, we ran for the 43 to go fish the Bluefin for a day…we ended up fishing for 2 days with all of the other boats (Labor Day crowds)…ALL of our 23 passengers got at least ONE Bluefin Tuna over 100 pounds and some had more..I hooked and handed about a dozen fish (my gear is in real need of maintenance now) to some people that couldn’t get bit…I fished straight bait…using:
    Calstar GF800 H with Avet Hx2,filled with 80 pound spectra and a short (5’) piece of 50 pound fluoro and Owner 5/0 Mutu hooks (no rings)..
    Calstar GF800 XH with Avet HX2 fille with 80 pound spectra and a short topshot of 60 pound fluoro…
    Calstar GF800 XXH with AVET HX3 (3 speed)…80 pound spectra and 80 pound top shot
    We left the tuna grounds and headed South for San Pablo…we would have 1.5 days of recovery from the tough bluefin….got to San Pablo and anchored in the “alpha spot”…after about 30 minutes, the American Angler came up and anchored off our stern….the YT came out to play…boiling all around the boat…I threw some new (for me) Caivo jigs at the fish…it was awesome fishing…the crew all wanted to use my jig stick…we f—ked up a lot of fish! using:
    Seeker Baby Ulua….Newell 332 filled with 65 pound spectra and 100 yard topshot of 50 pound mono and Caivo jigs
    After getting about 300 Yellowtail, I had a crew ONLY fishing tournament….all of them (even the chefs) had a ball….I was the only crew member during this tournament..I was on the tank and gaffing…Lots of laughs for sure!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we moved to a couple of spots (Acme Rock, Canoas, etc) to fish for Calicos…….OMG, the fish there are HUGE! I bet I saw about 25 fish over 6 pounds!!!
    They bit the Caivo jigs too!
    We pulled the plug and headed for home when the wind came up…it was an UGLY ride home going uphill..1.5 days of winds and large swells…
    The Shogun crew is awesome!
    I am finding some interesting stats on using non ringed hooks…..I have also converted some old long range guys (3 of them were on this trip) on getting rid of the rings…During a picky bite, the ringed hook click and I believe the fish will shy away…it definitely worked on this trip…after the first day, almost all of these experienced anglers were fishing with non ringed hooks…
    Check out the Caivo jigs…they are absolutely awesome swimmers! The crew wanted me to swing by the store and pick some up for them…our next 6 day is in October…hope the Guadalupe bite continues to improve!!

Howard

IMG_20170910_063715.jpg IMG_20170910_063728.jpg IMG_20170910_063745.jpg IMG_20170910_063757.jpg IMG_20170910_063816.jpg IMG_20170910_063828.jpg IMG_20170910_064108.jpg IMG_20170910_064200.jpg

2. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for the report, I'm glad that you had a great trip! You raised an interesting point about a ringed hook possibly making a clicking noise . . . I still don't think that it hurts if it was to happen. There are a lot of fish caught on lures that deliberately click and rattle just to try to get attention. And after spending some time underwater, the ocean is really LOUD with various critter noises. I use ringed hooks mostly because they are easier for me to tie a good knot onto.

3. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Where are the pictures of the pre trip bar girls?

fishordie likes this.
  4. muymacho74

muymacho74 Surface Iron Maniac

Name:
    Phillip
    Boat:
    America Angler
    Sounds like a great trip. I've been using the 3.2 oz. surface Caivo Jigs for a couple of years now and know exactly what you are talking about. I have had some amazing days on the water fishing those jigs. Havent had a chance to try his new ones with the double rings yet. Which were you using?

5. bajapaddyhopper

bajapaddyhopper Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sherm
    Boat:
    INDEPENDENCE
    It's always fun catching!

6. RockHopperNCKA

RockHopperNCKA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Do kayaks count?
    Thanks for the report and pics!

7. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Bluefin Tuna #1.jpg

It was an epic BFT bite! I believe one of our kite fish taped out around 175lbs.

I had a true heart breaker that chewed me off at color after being on it for over an hour (3 times around the boat, 5 times around the anchor) and I had the right gear: Penn Torque 40NLD-2 on a Phenix 760X2H with 80lb solid to 60lb BW fluoro (ABS at 90lbs) with 5/0 ringed Mutu circle hook... was at "sunset" on the drag (28lbs) and I was palming the spool and that fish still took line rather easily when it wanted too... deckhands estimated it at 175lbs+. Another boat got a 200lb BFT that same day on the kite (incredible BFT of a lifetime). Got a nice 120lb BFT (pictured) on a Calstar 875XH with a Tib SST 8 using 65lb solid to 60lb Seaguar Prem and a 4/0 Matzuo J-hook in about 30 minutes. Seems like 50lb and 60lb fluoro was working best and for me in a longer length than normal of 10-15 feet. Connections had to be sound as you were pulling on 100lb+ BFT with 50lb/60lb leader... and these fish were mean and squirrely. Fished the Flat Fall and Charkbait Slash jigs on my yo/yo rigs and threw some surface artificials for several hours each day to no avail. Ended up with three BFT: 90lbs, 110lbs, 120lbs... lost two bigs (chew off/pulled J-hook).

Had a lot of fun fishing the surface iron (Salas 5X/Tady 45) on the eager yellows down south and caught a few nice calicos as well (one went 6lbs or so)... the checkers were all properly released back into the kelp bed.

G

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  8. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Congrats on a great trip. Those Caivo jigs are very good, aren't they..??!!

9. ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ natural born jig slingers

Name:
    ZZZZZ
    Boat:
    Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
    Wow everyone got at least 1 BFT over 100lbs with 23 anglers. That's insane for 2 days fishing. Good job everyone

Handed off 12 jumbo bfts on 8' rods :D Very cool make them earn it :)

10. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Wow thanks for the report ....good job guys

11. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I honestly don't remember Howard fishing 8' live bait rods, and his rods were protruding over top of my interior placed tackle box most of the trip (perhaps a typo?)... Calstar 800H would NOT be my recommendation for this grade of 100lb+ BFT and I don't believe Calstar even makes an 800XXH as mentioned. Hangover's can be really tough on one's comprehension (especially when typing a fishing report at 7 am the next morning :D).

G

12. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Calstar does indeed now make a 800xxh (rated 60-100 if recall correctly) I pulled on one at the Longfin maybe a month ago.

13. ReelDealAngler-

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    Its not shown on their current website: http://calstarrods.net/product/blanks/grafighter-blanks/.

I will call Calstar and see if they have it... I have an 800XH and would like to have an XXH myself if its available (must be new just this year if it is).

G

14. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    I liked it a lot Garry. They had an 875xxh as well and I couldn't figure which I liked better. You really can't beat the Longfin when it comes to Calstar. I did a rough count and there were nearly 400 of them there.