Rhino lining as decking?

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
" The grocery getter" 18ft 1996 Truline CC, Unnamed 2002 Hewescraft 179
bought another boat project and need to repair the deck. The previous owner sealed it but never painted it. My last project I used Rustoleum deck paint but wasn't satisfied with its durability. One crab season and it was scratched up beyond belief and anywhere that gas touched instantly peeled.

A friend suggested herculiner. Anyone use it? It seems like it would work. I've seen it used on top rails and consoles but never decks and gunnels.

Upvote 0

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
San Diego
Name
Erik
Boat
Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
Tons of applications for that stuff. They use it a lot in Florida. Sarasota Line-X. Check it out.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Line-x is supposed to be good stuff.

I prefer kiwi grip, that stuff is fantastic, durable, and easy to do.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: goatram
Upvote 0

saltwaterfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 13, 2010
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
looking for new one
Used herculiner on a truck bed and after 6 months started wearing off in spots and not much use and zero medium to heavy use. That is probably something where - you get what you pay for

Upvote 0

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
Good to know. I'll check out kiwi grip. I'd like to find something I can apply myself.

Upvote 0

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
Do a bit of research on what you are actually buying. Different liners are made of different materials. Many brands are half bed liner, half ground up rubber. The ground up rubber is what provides the texture.
Is it 100% Polyurethane/Polyurea , is it an aromatic or aliphatic formula.

The best bang for your buck is Grizzly grip.....Grizzly Grip is a Aliphatic moisture cure urethane. They can color match within 5%. I have this on my deck and sidewalls and it's tough as heck. It ships from FL as well.

Upvote 0

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
Great, thank you. I'll check them out as well. The let floor I did I used Rustoleum with ground glass addictive. The finished product looked awesome but it lasted one crabbing trip.

With the grizzly, is it easily applied? You mentioned moisture cure. As in the humidity needs to be high and constant like some paints do?

Upvote 0
Mar 24, 2010
San Diego
www.biggame90.net
Name
Irv / Mike
Boat
Reports From The Bridge
take a look at this product I used it on the deck and Bait tank on the Big Game 90
tuffcoat or ultratuff same product call them at 970 252 9457 ask for Mike tell him
Irv Grisbeck recommended it to you and he will set you up with what you need
great stuff and easy to use and clean up you can brush or roll it or use a texture spray gun
http://www.tuffcoat.net/wordpress/marine-2/

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
Los osos
Name
Tony
Boat
19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
X3 for kiwi grip
I just helped my freind do his bay runner deck and that stuff is crazy good
He had it tinted and then just rolled it on with a roller like paint and it came out crazy good.
Did two coats and we tried to scratch it with a knife and it would not. Scratch or chip.
Then he will recoat areas and add the grip later.
We also put some on a scrap peice of wood and with 80 grit sandpaper it took some work to get it off.

Upvote 0

Black Cat

Jan 19, 2016
Temecula
Name
Chris
Boat
Bertram Bahia Mar
The grizzly grip rolls or paints on, texture is rolled on after the product sets up for about 15 minutes. It's a two part mixture, moisture cure. The more humidity, the faster it cures. It cures plenty fast in socal dry air.

Upvote 0

flanker7

Mar 31, 2011
kingston wa usa
Name
Tev
Boat
After doing some research it seems most of these products require a couple of coats, should I plan on buy double what I think I need?

Upvote 0

tj805

Jan 26, 2012
Los osos
Name
Tony
Boat
19 arima sea chaser 12ft Livingston
I know with the kiwi grip my freind was able to do the whole deck on an 18 ft bay runner with about half a gallon.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Kiwi grip is a single application and the aggressiveness is determined by the roller you use and whether you roll it after it starts to tack up. It doesn't take a ton, like TJ said. With a smaller boat, a gallon should be plenty but they give estimates on the site. I wouldn't use anything else for nonskid.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0