RFS build for TCRBS -

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Thanks to the soldiers that enlist in our military to keep us safe from bad guys. Thanks to Bill Batson for donating all the components and Adam Hansen for pulling the components together and dealing with me.

The rod was built on all Rainshadow and ALPS components. The blank is a Rainshadow RCLB70L, guides are ALPS MX TiCH (medium frame) and ALPS aluminum trigger seat (i gotta say it looks sweet). I used all Bullards threads. The idea was to build a rod that could be taken on almost any fishing outing. This rod should be effective in the following situations... live bait flylining, inshore bait, plastics, and jigs for bass, reds, blues, stripers, and whatever else lurks inshore. Should work well for small to medium game offshore including tunas, jacks and other pelagics, will flatline troll, will work for butt fishing, shallow water rockfishing, throwing swimbaits at big stripers, will also look pretty in rod holder when not bent, this is most important. Im sure the recipient will put the rod to good use.

Not sure if it's the "best" rod i ever built but i am very happy with the outcome and i did do my best.

Thanks again to Batson Enterprises, and everyone else affiliated with the TCRBS, the soldiers, The Rodcrafters Journal, and "good" loving people around the world.

also thanks to patfatdaddy for his org RFS, and to Capt G for taking care of those guys that were messing with me last night, to Salty, Doc, Silvia and anyone else wanting to accept some Valentines Day love and appreciation.

enjoy the pics.

bassmandan

as "Bruce, a philosopher"
Mar 21, 2010
The University of Wullamaloo
Name
Dan Troxel
Boat
How are ya Bruce?
Looks like a winner! That's a nice looooooong Throop.

patfatdaddy

Jul 19, 2009
West Columbia, Texas
Name
Pat Helton
Boat
14' Express, boat
One
That is beautiful rod. Looks perfect in every way. I couldn't do what I do without you guys help, you are the most important people in the process.
Thanks
Pat

bonescustoms

Captain....Actually, ya
Jul 29, 2008
HB
Name
steven
Boat
stolen
nice build bro. came together reel nice. That will be one happy goodguy.

So, what blank did you settle on for an all arounder???

My biggest hang up on all purpose blanks is action. Its tough to find a soft enough tip for fishing live bait without it being too floppy for jigs.

regardless, a commendable build!

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
Beautiful rod, Jason. I could see Ol Henry (RIP) banging some big river stripers on that rod...very versitle.

Sweet rod Jason, is it for the RFS program or the Rod contest? they go to two different groups of heros
Gland I am not the only one that had to write what Bill did above.

"RFS build for TCRBS" is an oxymoron...some of you may need as axe that Webster cat about that (or google it)....it is FAR from a negative meaning.

Jason, I think what Bill is saying, is that the Rod Contest rods for the TCRBS is a completely different, well managed, and completely accountable program. It is not like the other program, which has experienced multiple thefts, and even had one donor's one of a kind parts replaced with the parts of the donor's ccompetitor To add insult to injury, that fucked up competitor actuallycopied the donor's product, ...even down to the product name. That is pure fucked-ness, at it's finest.

patfatdaddy

Jul 19, 2009
West Columbia, Texas
Name
Pat Helton
Boat
14' Express, boat
Beautiful rod, Jason. I could see Ol Henry (RIP) banging some big river stripers on that rod...very versitle.

Gland I am not the only one that had to write what Bill did above.

"RFS build for TCRBS" is an oxymoron...some of you may need as axe that Webster cat about that (or google it)....it is FAR from a negative meaning.

Jason, I think what Bill is saying, is that the Rod Contest rods for the TCRBS is a completely different, well managed, and completely accountable program. It is not like the other program, which has experienced multiple thefts, and even had one donor's one of a kind parts replaced with the parts of the donor's ccompetitor To add insult to injury, that fucked up competitor actuallycopied the donor's product, ...even down to the product name. That is pure fucked-ness, at it's finest.
OK G. Here it is. Yes I am the founder of the one and only Rods For Soldiers program. Yes some of the products you donated to RFS were stolen. You did not send those products to me and you wouldn't even tell me what you sent but you expected me to be responsible for them. Sorry Buddy but it is your mistake. When you donate something to an organization you need to send it to the person that runs the organization. I don't know what you expected me to do, it wasn't my products until I took possession of them which I never did. Other than the products ,which to this day I do not know what they were and 2 rod kits that have not been completed and returned to me I can account for every single item and dollar that I have ever received from anyone supporting my program.
I respectfully ask that if this explaination isn't good enough for you at least let everyone else make up their own mind and quit trying to say or at least imply that I cannot be trusted. My records are open to anyone that would like to look them over. I can show you my past reports to the IRS. I can show you my inventory of components. I can show you my completed rods that are ready to be presented. I can give you a list of all of the soldiers, police officers, firemen and EMTs that I have presented rods to.
I don't know what else I can do to convince you that I am on the up and up.
Pat

If you feel the need to talk to me by all means I would love to talk to you my number is: 979-418-9093

patfatdaddy

Jul 19, 2009
West Columbia, Texas
Name
Pat Helton
Boat
14' Express, boat
You don't get it G. You didn't send it to me. Until I get it it ain't mine. If you want to donate to the red cross do you send it to the salvation army for them to forward it. I ain't fucking with you but I did not steal anything from you or anyone else. It was never given to me. You wouldn't even tell me what I was supposed to get. I didn't know what to look for and I still don't. I can't understand how you think.
I am just trying to honor American soldiers. I do that by sending components to builders and they send the completed rods back to me and I give them to wounded soldiers. Asd I said before I can account for everything that has ever been given to me for that purpose. Why are you trying to destroy that? I have put a hell of a lot more of my money into this than you have ever thought about doing. I am not rich by a long shot but if I have to spend every penny I have got to keep this program going I will. You are alway bragging about how many businesses you own and your $1,800.000 house you just bought. I live on a disability check from the VA. I live on about $2800. I have put several thousand dollars of money out of my pocket into this program. With all of your millions of dollars you are crying over a couple of hundred bucks. A couple of hundred bucks that was not given to me. Fuck you.
PatCall me asshole
979-418-9093

patfatdaddy

Jul 19, 2009
West Columbia, Texas
Name
Pat Helton
Boat
14' Express, boat
G.
Look I don't expect to ever receive any donations from you and frankly I wouldn't accept them anyway. I am only asking that you leave my program alone. I have only had problems out of two people concerning RFS. You and Tom Kirkman, are you working together to destroy it and if so why? If so neither one of you are a patriot. Maybe that is why you live in Japan.
Pat

patfatdaddy

Jul 19, 2009
West Columbia, Texas
Name
Pat Helton
Boat
14' Express, boat
I apologize for this thread running off in the wrong direction. Whether the rod is for my RFS program or for the Rodbuilders Build Off it is still an awesome rod. The important thing it is going to a soldier. That is what it is all about.
I would also like to apologize to everyone else on this board. My exchange with Capt. G should not have happened on this board but I have no way to contact himand my anger took over. I am very protective of my reputation and my program. I hope that you will all continue to support RFS. All the Bloody Decks guys have been very good to me.
Pat

Capt. G

BD Outdoors Contributor
May 25, 2007
Osaka, Japan
www.bigbait.jp
Name
Capt. G
Boat
黒潮No.2
OK G. Here it is. Yes I am the founder of the one and only Rods For Soldiers program. Yes some of the products you donated to RFS were stolen. You did not send those products to me and you wouldn't even tell me what you sent but you expected me to be responsible for them. Sorry Buddy but it is your mistake. When you donate something to an organization you need to send it to the person that runs the organization. I don't know what you expected me to do, it wasn't my products until I took possession of them which I never did. Other than the products ,which to this day I do not know what they were and 2 rod kits that have not been completed and returned to me I can account for every single item and dollar that I have ever received from anyone supporting my program.
I respectfully ask that if this explaination isn't good enough for you at least let everyone else make up their own mind and quit trying to say or at least imply that I cannot be trusted. My records are open to anyone that would like to look them over. I can show you my past reports to the IRS. I can show you my inventory of components. I can show you my completed rods that are ready to be presented. I can give you a list of all of the soldiers, police officers, firemen and EMTs that I have presented rods to.
I don't know what else I can do to convince you that I am on the up and up.
Pat

If you feel the need to talk to me by all means I would love to talk to you my number is: 979-418-9093
You don't get it G. You didn't send it to me. Until I get it it ain't mine. If you want to donate to the red cross do you send it to the salvation army for them to forward it. I ain't fucking with you but I did not steal anything from you or anyone else. It was never given to me. You wouldn't even tell me what I was supposed to get. I didn't know what to look for and I still don't. I can't understand how you think.
I am just trying to honor American soldiers. I do that by sending components to builders and they send the completed rods back to me and I give them to wounded soldiers. Asd I said before I can account for everything that has ever been given to me for that purpose. Why are you trying to destroy that? I have put a hell of a lot more of my money into this than you have ever thought about doing. I am not rich by a long shot but if I have to spend every penny I have got to keep this program going I will. You are alway bragging about how many businesses you own and your $1,800.000 house you just bought. I live on a disability check from the VA. I live on about $2800. I have put several thousand dollars of money out of my pocket into this program. With all of your millions of dollars you are crying over a couple of hundred bucks. A couple of hundred bucks that was not given to me. Fuck you.
PatCall me asshole
979-418-9093
Pat, excuse me (just someone who tried to a few hundred dollars in product for our troops) for asking, but are you retarded?

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Guys its for the build-off and contest and im sorry if i improperly identified the program or players.

I appreciate nice words about my builds.

Its unfortunate that any battle had to start over this thread but hopefully everyone gets back on track.

Salty are you able to help me edit the title of the thread? It is for TCRBS and by RFS i abbreviated that this is a rod for a soldier. Im sorry i did not mean to say this was for the RFS program. I work my real job from 6am until about 8pm and im way out of the loop. I should have more properly identified the program in my title.

venturarodlure

ventura rod and lure co
Jun 12, 2008
ventura california usa
Name
john
Boat
DD-637,DMS-30
Guys its for the build-off and contest and im sorry if i improperly identified the program or players.

Its unfortunate that any battle had to start over this thread but hopefully everyone gets back on track.

Salty are you able to help me edit the title of the thread? It is for TCRBS and by RFS i abbreviated that this is a rod for a soldier. Im sorry i did not mean to say this was for the RFS program. I work my real job from 6am until about 8pm and im way out of the loop. I should have more properly identified the program in my title.
I know what you are saying Jason. We gave one to Doc to take to the show. I think he is going to give it to Silvia or hand it to a soldier himself. I don't really give a rats ass which organization hands it out as long as there is accountability and it goes to a soldier. It is my humble opinion that every rod donated through any of these programs to a soldier should have a follow up post on here showing the person recieving their rod as well as a little background about the person who is recieving it. Where they served, what branch, unit, time period, combat experiences, etc. I know this would take a little more effort on the part of those running whatever the program is that is handling the charity, but it would still be very minimal compared to the time actually going into each rods build. This would bring these programs full circle and let the builders actually have some connection to those who they are working for and if the soldiers wanted it would also give them a way of making contact with the rod builders themselves. The knowledge of what exactly was given by who and who recieved it and when would put a lot of people more at ease with making more donations. Transparency is key.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
I know what you are saying Jason. We gave one to Doc to take to the show. I think he is going to give it to Silvia or hand it to a soldier himself. I don't really give a rats ass which organization hands it out as long as there is accountability and it goes to a soldier. It is my humble opinion that every rod donated through any of these programs to a soldier should have a follow up post on here showing the person recieving their rod as well as a little background about the person who is recieving it. Where they served, what branch, unit, time period, combat experiences, etc. I know this would take a little more effort on the part of those running whatever the program is that is handling the charity, but it would still be very minimal compared to the time actually going into each rods build. This would bring these programs full circle and let the builders actually have some connection to those who they are working for and if the soldiers wanted it would also give them a way of making contact with the rod builders themselves. The knowledge of what exactly was given by who and who recieved it and when would put a lot of people more at ease with making more donations. Transparency is key.
Those are good ideas John. I think it wouldn't be too much work to identify which soldier was given which rod built by which builder.

I had very good intentions with this build. The rod actually did not end up anything like the original concept. i intended to do a camo theme, with a red white and blue theme over the top, with camo painted into the cork, and some other stuff. I got way out on my time-line and I'm so busy with my business and phone never stops so i didn't have the time to pull all of that together. I also intended to make a small placard with an inscription and thanking the recipient for their service, of course with batson and wmd tags but i just was not able to pull it together. i failed in that regard. But i did include my contact info. I hope my soldier calls me or reaches me, maybe with a pic of him/her with proof of damage done "braggin pics" and the rod with soldier fishy and the rig.

Anyway, i appreciate anyone that does these donation things. And im an ego head so i wanted to participate in the contest. Not that i thought i would win, but because i wanted to be involved in a contest with the best guys in the business for association purposes. It's great to be a part of such a program.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
nice build bro. came together reel nice. That will be one happy goodguy.

So, what blank did you settle on for an all arounder???

My biggest hang up on all purpose blanks is action. Its tough to find a soft enough tip for fishing live bait without it being too floppy for jigs.

regardless, a commendable build!
Steven the blank is a Rainshadow RCLB70L. Im sure there would be more precise blank choices for many of those application specifically. This is a donation where the recipient is to use and enjoy the rod. This will be a good all around rig to have in the boat. You know the rod you have on board that gets used for everything. It's one of those. But it really will do all of those things effectively.

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Sweet rod Jason, is it for the RFS program or the Rod contest? they go to two different groups of heros
Contest Bill, I shipped it to the address on the first thread. Havnt gotten a message or anything regarding receipt. I was hoping they could clean up my package before presentation. I overdid it for shipping purposes, but most of that should be removed before its handed over. If someone could do that id appreciate.

Silvia Davis

Apr 16, 2010
Houston/Texas/USA
www.DIAMOND-II.com
Name
Silvia
Boat
sad to say--don't have one
Those are good ideas John. I think it wouldn't be too much work to identify which soldier was given which rod built by which builder.

I had very good intentions with this build. The rod actually did not end up anything like the original concept. i intended to do a camo theme, with a red white and blue theme over the top, with camo painted into the cork, and some other stuff. I got way out on my time-line and I'm so busy with my business and phone never stops so i didn't have the time to pull all of that together. I also intended to make a small placard with an inscription and thanking the recipient for their service, of course with batson and wmd tags but i just was not able to pull it together. i failed in that regard. But i did include my contact info. I hope my soldier calls me or reaches me, maybe with a pic of him/her with proof of damage done "braggin pics" and the rod with soldier fishy and the rig.

Anyway, i appreciate anyone that does these donation things. And im an ego head so i wanted to participate in the contest. Not that i thought i would win, but because i wanted to be involved in a contest with the best guys in the business for association purposes. It's great to be a part of such a program.
First off, beautiful job!!!

Jason, what is suggested by John is work, but not too much work. It should be done and it will be done with any rod that we have anything to do with. You will know the military person's name, the outfit they are in and whatever information they are willing to share with us. If they are willing to share an email address we will get that for you. We have had quite a hard time getting information on the vets because of this privacy law which protects those in the military. We will not hand out a group of rods....ever. Each rod will be hand delivered to the military person and one at a time as we are doing at the show. I am in total agreement about making a better connection with the recipient of these rods.

I wrote to a couple of you guys in the contest and asked if it was okay if we honored a Gulf War and Vietnam vet. The reason I asked is because I feel that it has been implied that we are giving these to those who are still active. I just want everything to be out in the open and no assumptions made. We are so thankful to all of you who have worked so very hard on these rods. The last thing we want to do is disappoint you by not handling your rod as you imagined.

For example, Jim Trelikes already has the name of his Marine and we will present his Marine with a card that shows the show, show date, expression of thanks, Jim as the builder and how to get in touch with Jim. (If the builder sends information on the rod I add that too). This allows the military person a way to reach out to the builder. It has been difficult getting the recipients, whose names we finally do get, to show up themselves at the show. There are so many reasons why a lot of them could not attend, but we will keep following up and get the rods into their hands. I promise the builder is also so important to me in this equation because I know how much this means to all of you who build for the men and women who protect our country. Respect all around.....it's not too much trouble.

patfatdaddy

Jul 19, 2009
West Columbia, Texas
Name
Pat Helton
Boat
14' Express, boat
I have put all of the things that John suggested into effect already. I rewrote donation proceedures when I got my new 501c3 designattion. RFS is no longer a program of the Texas Rod Builders. I am solely responsible for RFS. Each rod that I present is tagged with the builders name and contact info so that the recipient can contact the builder. I take pictures of the recipient with their rod and email that to the builder along with a short bio of the recipient. I also post those pictures on the website that the builder frequents. You can go to www.2coolfishing.com and see the last three rods that were presented along with the recipient.
I did not do that when I first started RFS. Frankly it never occurred to me that anyone would doubt that I was actually presenting the rods. I do the presentations by myself and it is difficult to do the presentations, take pictures, and interview each recipient but it must be done. The builders deserve the pictures and bio and I just have to be assertive and tell the recipients that I must have pictures and bio.
I promise to do it right and I hope I see a lot of you at TCRBS.
Pat

SALTYDAWG

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 1, 2003
Casa DE Oro
www.saltydawgcustomrods.com
Name
Bill
Boat
sold it

Thanks Jason, I was just wondering because there seems to be some confusion. Pat's Rods for Soldiers is a great program and I have built several rods for it myself, I'm just trying to keep thingd from getting mixed up at the show.