IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
Hi looking for some help. I think I'm going to need to rewire my 17 ft seapro due to wires starting to corrode. I don't have any knowledge on how to wire so I was thinking about getting it done. How much do you think it would cost? If any body has a good wiring person in or around Huntington Beach I would really appreciate it thanks

Upvote 0

bus kid

rebmem nwonk llew
Feb 8, 2009
www.spacex.com
Name
David
Boat
Skipjack 20 open
Do it yourself. pull the Battery(s) 1st and just go one wire at a time. did mine over 2 weekends solder all connections and added a new breaker/switch panel. I got the schematic online and as I replaced a wire I lined it out with a sharpe.

Upvote 0

slapazz

Dec 20, 2010
west hills
Name
mike
Boat
17' sportcraft
Is soldiering standard on marine wiring? I've heard before that crimping works better due to less corrosion (different metals in soldier & flux is issue?). Any truth to that? I've always greased the wiring with anti corrosion type grease (dioelectrical grease?, something like that) then crimped on a marine connector, followed up with the heat shrink tubing. Over kill?

Upvote 0

slapazz

Dec 20, 2010
west hills
Name
mike
Boat
17' sportcraft
...had to do my 17' skiff wiring due to rats chewing up everything with insulation on it. Was only time consuming, not a difficult job. Like Bus Kid said, just go wire by wire. You will probably find a couple more things to fix along the way. Good project to get you to know the ins and outs of your boat.

Upvote 0

MattyV

Oct 14, 2012
Long beach Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
Mare Virgo/ Novella
Many people solder their connections, but I actually believe it is not recommended by the ABYC. I rewired both stations all the way to the engines ,all house wiring and battery cables a few years ago and never used solder. Yet to have a bad connection(knock on wood)... I would recommend you use a good adhesive filled heat shrink on all connections.

Matt

Upvote 0

Miss Yoly

Semper Fi
Feb 12, 2003
Mira Mesa, Ca
Name
Dave Patterson
Boat
2003 Sea Pro 235 WA
Making secure connections
Which is better, soldering or crimping terminals? Most wire problems happen at the connections, and the experts are mostly in agreement on this one. Connections should be mechanically connected, not just soldered. Per ABYC Standards & Technical Information Reports for Small Craft (E-11.16.3.7), “Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit”. Further, crimping provides a solid mechanical connection resistant to “cold joints” breaking under fatigue, and removes strain.

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
I just rewired my Sea Pro, mainly due to the previous owners hack job. I used Ancor tinned copper marine cable through out. I crimped using Ancor rachet swage crimpers and soldered the connections. If crimping and soldering was not possible I just soldered. I've seen the ABYC recommendations on crimping/soldering, from 30 years experience wiring boats I know a properly soldered connection is best. Soldering is a LOT more work/skill than just crimping but in the LONG run its more reliable.

For a fuse panel you can use resetable trip breaker or the replaceable fuse type. Just make sure its labeled and fused properly for the load. I will take some pictures of my work but in a nutshell I have dual batteries with a 50 amp fuse at the battery going to my dual battery switch. The common hot lead from my battery switch and ground from the battery runs forward to my fuse panel under and inside the helm area. For the run forward I used 6ga marine cable for + and -, its over kill but I can add additional loads down the road with no modifacations. Here is a link to wire sizing Three Percent Voltage Marinco

From the fused hot leads on the fuse panel out to the switches and from the switches to the loads I used crimped and soldered ring terminals. I prefer Cole Hersee push pull switches, Cole Hersee toggle and rocker switches are good too. I pasted some Sea Pro electrical stuff below, some of its helpfull. lastly utilize the old wire to pull the new stuff, old coroded (black) wire can't be soldered properly, so if you must keep it just crimp it. Make sure the wire is properly supported and connections covered with Ancor heat shrink tubing or similar for protection and strain relief on a soldered joint. Use the best quality materials you can afford I like Ancor, Blue Sea and Cole Hersee. If you don't know how to solder learn how and practice before doing work.

Sea-Pro® Boats Electrical
(Data collected from manufacturer's original brochure(s), owner's manual(s) and web-site(s).)

• Sea-Pro® boats are wired 12VDC, Negative Ground.
  • In some cases, provisions for 24VDC, Negative Ground may have been made for trolling motors.
1997 Sea-Pro Schematic Wiring Diagram
(click image for larger view)

Sea-Pro® Boats "Special Fishing Features":
Bait Sentry™

The Bait Sentry™ (by Shurflo®) was advertised as "The First Pump Designed As A Livewell & Bait Pump". It featured a built-in livewell or baitwell pump, with a feature to provide water to a separate Blaster™ washdown pump, thus using a single thru-hull and Sea-Cock safety valve. Many owners experienced problems with this pump setup offshore (the pickup was often mounted forward on the port side of the hull) where it was prone to getting air in the system and burning the pump up (the pump was apparently not self priming).

BaitSentry.jpg
"Special Fishing Features" page from
Sea-Pro manual with Bait Sentry™

Outboard Motor Electrical Wiring Colors:
(Data collected from manufacturer's original brochure(s), owner's manual(s) and web-site(s).)
CircuitsOMC
(Johnson & Evinrude)New MERCURY
& MARINER
1978 & laterOld MERCURY
before 1978SUZUKIYAMAHANew FORCE
1993 & laterOld FORCE
before 1993HONDA
GroundBlackBlackBlackBlackBlackBlackBlackBlack
12VDC Power
(from Battery)RedRedRedWhiteRedRed/PurpleRedBlack/White
Ignition Switch Power
(to Engine)PurplePurpleWhiteGreyYellowRed/BlueBlueWhite/Black
Stop EngineBlack/YellowBlack/YellowOrange &
Salmon/WhiteGreen,
Blue &
RedWhiteBlack/YellowWhiteBlack/Red
Start EngineYellow/RedYellow/RedYellowBrown &
Yellow/GreenBrownYellow/RedYellowBlack/White
TachometerGreyGreyBrownYellowDark GreenGreyPurpleGrey
Charge BatteryYellow/Grey &
YellowYellow &
YellowYellow/Red &
Yellow/RedYellow/RedGreen &
GreenYellow &
YellowYellow &
YellowGrey & Grey
ChokePurple/WhiteYellow/BlackGrey &
BlueOrangeDark BlueYellow/BlackGreenBrown
Warning TempTan &
Tan/BlueTanTanGreen/Yellow(?)PinkTanOrangeRed
Trim Up
(Usually Blue=Sky=Up)BlueBlue/WhiteBlueLight BlueLight BlueBlueBlueLight Green
Trim Down
(Usually Green=Grass=Down)GreenGreen/WhiteGreenPinkLight GreenGreenGreenLight Blue
Stator
(Ignition Coil)Brown,
Brown/Yellow &
Brown/OrangeBlue,
Blue/White,
Red/White &
RedBlue,
Blue/White,
Red/White &
RedGreen &
Black/RedBlue+Brown,
Black/Red+Red & Blue/RedBlue/YellowBlue+RedBlack+Green
Gear Ctr---Orange/Green &
Black/GreenLight Green---
Pulse Coils 1Purple or VioletVioletBrownWhite/GreenWhite/RedOrange-Blue
Pulse Coils 2GreenBrownWhiteWhite/BlackWhite/YellowGreen-Blue/Yellow
Most Sea-Pro® boats came with Teleflex

Last edited:
Reactions: MattyV
Upvote 0

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
A properly soldered connection is best. Most people do not know how to properly solder a connection. It starts with heat strippers not wire strippers and then tinning clean connectors , heat shrink tubing and labeling. Looms combed out with break outs and service loops in just the right places. There is beauty in wires and when done correctly will pass NASA redundancy standards.

Upvote 0

gspot

Crazy for Cabo
Jun 21, 2007
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler
Re-wire yourself, and do as others have already suggested.....wire by wire. I recently re-wired by 17' Boston Whaler. I bought a new wire harness for the engine and everything from there forward was easy.

I used the Ancor terminals and connectors with epoxy lined heat shrink on all connections and splices. Just made for peace of mind and looked nice and clean when finished.

The hard part was finding all the right color wire. Particularly the striped wire. Had a friends friend hook me up with all the right AWG Marine Grade wire. The finished job brought a lot of satisfaction and comfort. I know the electrical system is wired correctly now and if not, I know who to blame.

I was quoted just under $2,000 to wire the whole boat, so I decided to do it myself. I installed a new 8 switch led rocker panel, 12V accessory plug in, new ignition switch, Perko switch, and fuse block. I'm not an electrician by any stretch of the imagination, and it took some time, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Good luck on yours.

Upvote 0