Revo 11 Inshore/offshore

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
Carter W.
Boat
2009 Hobie Outback
Just bought a Revo 11 and was curious as to other people’s experiences with this yak. I’m interested in doing some local kelp bed fishing but am also wanting to try for some yellowtail. Has anyone tried going out for yellowtail with it. And what would you say the limits are for this yak?

John McKroid

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Lauderdale
Name
John McKroid
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler 14
It's a fast kayak but less stable compared with others. Definetely not as capable as larger kayaks, but the limitations are based on one's experience. There are yakkers in Hawaii who have landed a 170-190lb yellowfin tuna on the Revo 13 -- literally sinking the kayak if put onboard.

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
Newport Beach
Name
Carter W.
Boat
2009 Hobie Outback
Thanks the plan is to add the stabilizer on it as from what I have heard it makes it extremely stable. My main concern is how it would deal with some slop since it isn’t the longer 13 or 16

Tail Chaser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
You should be fine even without a stabilizer. I suspect it would just be in the way. You should be able to take it anywhere. But since its new, take less gear, have a way to get water out of a flooded boat, use tethers for your gear and take it one step at a time, don't over think it. Practice getting back in it in a pool. Wear your PFD. Take a buddy.
It will be nice for yellowtail because you can cover a lot of ground. Make sure you got ice! Good luck!

John McKroid

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Lauderdale
Name
John McKroid
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler 14
It will be a wetter ride -- less comfortable. Like when I switched from a PA to the 2019 outback. I could stay out 12+ hours on the PA, on the outback, waterlogged shriveled skin and body rash would force me ashore after about 8hrs.

igotpron

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 30, 2010
Riverside
Name
Sean
Boat
Waverunner FX cruiser, hobie kayak
Just bought a Revo 11 and was curious as to other people’s experiences with this yak. I’m interested in doing some local kelp bed fishing but am also wanting to try for some yellowtail. Has anyone tried going out for yellowtail with it. And what would you say the limits are for this yak?

The limits would mostly be your ability to stay balanced. That being said. Make sure everything not inside the hull either floats or is tied to the boat!! Lots of people fish off revos. They are fast and wet, older ones are wet.

To fast of a turn, a boat wake catching you off guard, fighting a bigger fish, and Wham!! your flipped over and your gears gone. If everything’s tied down you flip the boat, climb in, pull your gear back in and continue. Just keep that in mind, you have to be willing to lose everything not tied down. So make some leashes and hit the water.

hobiefish

I am not always Grumpy; somtimes I am fishing!
Mar 16, 2007
Chino
Name
duane
Boat
Sea-Pro 186cc & Honda Aquatrax
If you have the proper safety gear and are comfortable with the kayak you will be fine. As others have said, it is not as stable as a Pro Angler or other kayaks but it is capable and the advantage is that the Revo is fast. I have fished in a Hobie Outback Sport off and on for about 10 years and often take it outside the harbor. Unlike the Revo; it is slow. These are great kayaks and that is why I have kept the Outback for this long.

Last edited:

Tail Chaser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Ive fished right next to guys in Revos for years, they would be more likely to go to Catalina than my outback.