REVIEW COMPARE AVET REELS HX 2-speed HXW 3-speed RAPTOR Gear Shift Button Stick Out Line Capacity

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
In high-resolution photographs 2019 - this BloodyDecks forum post compares side-by-side Avet HXW 5/3 Raptor 3 speed wide reel along side an Avet HX 5/2 MC Raptor 2 speed in beautiful full-resolution pictures - if anyone wants to buy me a narrow HXJ I will finish my HXJ HX HXW review on Avet's amazing saltwater fishing line. I am going broke buying Avet Raptors and it does take some time to create and present this information from scratch...

Disclaimer: I have zero affiliation with Avet Reels, Inc. or anyone who buys or sells Avet products or this website, but I am an Avet fanboy (pros and cons) ... BEFORE you get too bored researching and reading up info about heavy saltwater big game tuna sport fishing reel choices, nuts and bolts, factory specs, my layman's perspective, here's a highrez beauty shot to pique your interest (more pics below):

Side Back Beauty.jpg

AVET REELS PHOTO CAPTION: (left) HX Raptor 5/2 originally filled to the brim with about 500 yards 100lb solid Power Pro (some line missing in photo during use.) (right) Brand new HXW Raptor 5/3 just spooled to the brim with 600 yds Powerpro solid 100#. Line professionally installed by the Squid folks.

My local knowledge Southern California personal unbiased unsponsored free reviews are designed to be useful and a buying guide to serve to fishermen and fisherwomen around the world who are considering buying into the Avet HX line, specifically HX HXW actual Power Pro Spectra solid braid capacity and how Avet engineers designed their GEAR SHIFT BUTTONS (how far the gear shifter knob thing sticks out on high gear setting on the 3speed model compared to their two speed position distance) and dispel some of the confusing (poor documentation, misinformation, bad information and myths) surrounding braid line capacity with clear real-world actual photo documentation that doesn't raise more question that it tries to answer.

It is specifically written and produced to answer basic common questions I had when buying my HX Avet Raptor fishing reels for BBF big bluefin tuna trips out of the San Diego sportfishing fleet in inshore and offshore SOCAL fishing grounds, San Clemente Islands SCI, though my layman reviews opinions probably apply to long-range sport fishing charters world wide:
  • How far does the Avet Raptor THREE SPEED GEAR SHIFT BUTTON KNOB nub stick out compared to the two speed models (actual measurements photographed alongside a ruler below)?
  • Do I really need a three-speed reel Vs two-speed reel?
  • Does the shifting button extend or stick out too far on the 3speed (see them sidebyside)?
  • Does the Avet gear shifting implementation create a problem waiting to happen (see the pictures and decide for yourself before you make a better-informed decision buying your saltwater fishing gear)?
  • Should I buy a Penn International VISZ or an Okuma Makaira for better gear shifting design and ease of use shifting gears?
  • AND HERE'S MY PEEVE:
    HOW MUCH ACTUAL SPECTRA BRAID DO AVET HX HXW REELS HOLD - what is their real-world line capacity on accurate charts that someone actually wrote down and documented when the line was professionally installed? (Not some fuzzy memory or inaccurate recollection that confuses and misleads someone trying to learn and apply this stuff).
WHAT DOES AVET'S THREE-SPEED LOW GEAR FEEL LIKE?

I would describe how or what the 3-speed HXW's low gear feels like reeling in under a load - it would be like putting a 15-speed mountain bicycle in its lowest gear and peddling up a steep hill - slow and steady (wins the race) - it will put a smile on your face.

I've posted previous comparison tutorials and tips on my personal Avet reels in my attempt to learn more information about Avets and how to use them without making buyer's mistakes and buyer regret - how many mistakes do you have sitting on the shelf or taken a beating when you sold them for something that you like?:

AVET PRO EX 30/2 Vs HX RAPTOR - REVIEW AND COMPARE
REALWORLD STRIKE DRAG SETTINGS PRO EX 30/2
POWERPRO SPECTRA LINE CAPACITY REELS
kk

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
How much braid fishing line does an Avet HX hold compared side-by-side to an HXW - top view looking down - actual photo comparison:

top.jpg

SIDE BAR:
PRO EX 30 NARROW Braid Line capacity.

Below is what the HX Raptor looked like with new line filled to the brim, the lime-colored line is Power Pro (not J Braid as noted) - Squid told me the HX took about 500 yards 100lb solid, but I got that info a week later from another employee - I suspect it filled to brim with just under 500yards ... it is pictured beside my PRO EX 30/2 with 400 yards of 130# PP (note it is not completely filled):

sid sid.jpg

I later had Squid replace the yellow PP to get a full reel - the AVET PRO EX 30/2 took 485 yards of white solid PP filled to the brim as pictured if you are also searching for how much 100-pound braid an EX30 holds, here's the photographic proof:

Avet30EXspectraline.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
AVET HX HXW POWER PRO SPECTRA BRAIDED LINE PICTURED INSTALLED FILLED TO THE BRIM for short fluorocarbon leader (no room for top shots):

LineCapacity.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tbev and Olddog8
Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
PHOTO PICTURES HX HXW SIDE BY SIDE TO COMPARE THE DEPTH OF GEAR SHIFT KNOB THING BUTTON - how far does the Avet 3-speed gear shift button stick out in high 3rd gear position compared to the 2-speed?

Gear Shift ButtonsEND-END.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
COMPARISON SIDE BY SIDE Avet Gear Shift Button pictured with a ruler measurement scale tape measure, 2 speed versus 3-speed positions:

scale.jpg

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
AVET HIGH RESOLUTION FISHING REEL PHOTOGRAPHY HX 2speed Raptor compared to HXW with 100lb braid line installed - front views:

beauty front.jpg

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Enjoy - I hope this saves you some time deciding if the Avet HX Raptor 2-speed or 3-speed narrow regular or wide model is right for you ... I really like these reels and can't hardly wait to hook into a 200 pounder to give them a workout:

HXW HX side-front beauty.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
Nov 12, 2016
San Diego
Name
Gee Bee
Boat
Thanks ... photography!...

The pics are the point, the words serve only for google to bring searchers to the images ... and the advertising ... but I choose to cow as you say ... just need to buy the right tool for the job ... and get on with a great crew to put me onto the giant bluefin tuna biters ...

Tight lines ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
How's it cast? I'm dying trying to figure out a reel with a lot of drag, and enough capacity that will cast.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    Just an opinion, but I would say better than most.
    Just as a by-the-by..... on a 10 day in Nov on one wahoo troll stop/slide I dropped back a big tuna chrome/blue 14A with a big single hook on a 1X3 with an HXW-3spd -- I cranked it back in high gear ....and [ damn :-) ] I caught a wahoo....I was almost laughing as I brought it in.....I don't recommend an HXW/ 1x3 for wahoo, but it was a kick to see that high speed really was fast enough and it gives you a real shot on a bite retrieve when you aren't bit.
    Tight lines!!

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Why not a two speed with the low 1:1.3 instead of the 1:1.9?
    The super low gear on the 3 speed is so low if the fish turns and charges the boat you have no chance of keeping up. Basically you use the reel in high gear till you get bit. Once the fish settles down a bit you switch to the mid-gear. When you get the fish straight up and down circling you drop to the 3rd gear. I have the 3 speed and while it is nice, I am not sure if I would buy another.

Upvote 0

here'smymule

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 17, 2010
    Culver City
    Name
    Tony Rezzato
    The super low gear on the 3 speed is so low if the fish turns and charges the boat you have no chance of keeping up. Basically you use the reel in high gear till you get bit. Once the fish settles down a bit you switch to the mid-gear. When you get the fish straight up and down circling you drop to the 3rd gear. I have the 3 speed and while it is nice, I am not sure if I would buy another.
    Anything you say Phillip my friend!
    I'm certain I'll fork out the money for an HX 3 speed. I just don't care for the longer shift button. One of the Avet aftermarket gurus says he can't understand why they did the HX 3 speed & not a two speed with with lower gears. Is it a bait reel or a jig reel?
    You're whole "tutorial" seems predicated on "turns and charges" and "settles down" Most of the stuff I fish for does not fall in to that pattern. A Guadalupe or Farnsworth yellowtail has one goal- rock you. As for wahoo it can happen so fast that you need a reel that shifts automatically like the SST.
    If my HXJ Raptor had a 1:1.9 rather than a 1:2.4 I probably would not even be looking at a 3 speed.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Anything you say Phillip my friend!
    I'm certain I'll fork out the money for an HX 3 speed. I just don't care for the longer shift button. One of the Avet aftermarket gurus says he can't understand why they did the HX 3 speed & not a two speed with with lower gears. Is it a bait reel or a jig reel?
    You're whole "tutorial" seems predicated on "turns and charges" and "settles down" Most of the stuff I fish for does not fall in to that pattern. A Guadalupe or Farnsworth yellowtail has one goal- rock you. As for wahoo it can happen so fast that you need a reel that shifts automatically like the SST.
    If my HXJ Raptor had a 1:1.9 rather than a 1:2.4 I probably would not even be looking at a 3 speed.
    For me with the gears they have chosen on the 3 speed it sort of makes it an open water reel. Anywhere you are on anchor and the fish will be going out as much as down it is only so useful. For those applications I could understand the gearing you want.

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
    Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    ...If my HXJ Raptor had a 1:1.9 rather than a 1:2.4 I probably would not even be looking at a 3 speed.

I didn't get that either, concluded they probably want to sell us the additional $ for the 3x...

Upvote 0

BajaSlayer

Dec 24, 2017
    San Diego California
    Name
    Kenji
    Boat
    Nininin
    I know this is a relatively old thread, but I have a question that may sound dumb to some, I own a couple ATD 50's, but I want to downsize to smaller reels, would you guys go for the HX raptor, or the HXW raptor for a 80-100# rod?

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    The HX and HXW Raptor are both good reels but a serious step down from an ATD 50. They work fine with 80# or even 100# in a pinch but are you sure you want to step down that much? That said, my HXW Raptor is my go to reel unless I am sure there are cows around.

Reactions: FishRock
    Upvote 0

BajaSlayer

Dec 24, 2017
    San Diego California
    Name
    Kenji
    Boat
    Nininin
    The HX and HXW Raptor are both good reels but a serious step down from an ATD 50. They work fine with 80# or even 100# in a pinch but are you sure you want to step down that much? That said, my HXW Raptor is my go to reel unless I am sure there are cows around.
    Thanks for the reply, I felt confident with the step down because I almost exclusively fish Pangas or Center Consoles, but now that you point it out, ther is a really significant gap bettween the 50's and both HX's, I'm new to the california style of tuna fishing so my knowledge in the area is extremely limited haha, so I was planning to use either the HX or HXW for fish 100 and under, what do you think about it?(thanks for the help in advance!!)

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Thanks for the reply, I felt confident with the step down because I almost exclusively fish Pangas or Center Consoles, but now that you point it out, ther is a really significant gap bettween the 50's and both HX's, I'm new to the california style of tuna fishing so my knowledge in the area is extremely limited haha, so I was planning to use either the HX or HXW for fish 100 and under, what do you think about it?(thanks for the help in advance!!)

Lots of cow YFT landed with the HXW and 100 lb. But like Bill stated not usually an anglers first choice if targeting cows. These are medium frame reels that can get over worked on a longer fight with a big fish. But that also makes them nicer to fish since they are not so big and heavy. All depends of what your targeting.

Since you plan to target fish 100 lbs. and under then yes either of these reels would be a good choice. Up to you which one feels better in your hands and holds enough 80 or 100 braid.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

BajaSlayer

Dec 24, 2017
    San Diego California
    Name
    Kenji
    Boat
    Nininin
    Lots of cow YFT landed with the HXW and 100 lb. But like Bill stated not usually an anglers first choice if targeting cows. These a medium frame reels that can get over worked on a longer fight with a big fish. But that also makes them nicer to fish since they are not so big and heavy. All depends of what your targeting.

Since you plan to target fish 100 lbs. and under then yes either of these reels would be a good choice. Up to you which one feels better in your hands and holds enough 80 or 100 braid.
    I can see why it wouldn't be a first choice, allthough I think I've got the bigger grade covered with the ATD 50s(bit on the heavier side, but I think I can manage), thank you both for the help and steering me in the right direction.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Just to toot my own horn: I caught a cow on my HXW a couple years ago. The fight took over and hour, and the whole time I was wishing I was fishing my 50T. But fish in the 100# range: The HXW Raptor on a UC Centaur is a great set up. Great.

Reactions: FishRock
    Upvote 0