MikesOcean

Jun 23, 2011
San Pedro
www.marinabaywatch.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Therapist
Prior to Covid I was always going out. This whole Covid screwed me uo and kept me busy at work making it hard to get out. Maybe 6 times in 2 years. WTF??

Monday August 2nd I made plans to get out with my buddy Matt who handles all my electrical needs in Cabrillo marina.

A week prior I went out with my nephew and jabbed a big fucking hook in my finger from a colt sniper chasing foamers, cutting our trip early so I can head to the ER and have it professionally removed. It sucked.
B12041FA-A941-4A62-BA43-FF7ACAE7646C.jpeg

I knew I needed to get back out and get my revenge. So Back to my trip. Me and Matt decide we were gonna grab a little bait from San Pedro bait just in case. So we grab bait and off we go and clear the harbor just past 6am. Heading was to the 277. About 5 miles
short, we start seeing isolated boils at a distance and my graph lights up loaded with bait.
1F55CA51-3CF3-44A1-86F0-D295176EE840.jpeg

It is now 830 and I look at Matt end said I think we need to just chill here, soak some baits until these fish come up good and then chase them with irons. He agrees and think it’s a great idea. So we grab drinks and just chill soaking baits. Very relaxing actually.

Shortly after we see this. More Tuna moving in.
E84A332D-C9AF-4486-94B6-D2ACD52AD7B9.jpeg

Then shortly after, we see this
5D701593-FCA8-4A62-89DF-993887D348FA.jpeg

Now it’s 930 and Matt is on!!!! This fish had some serious shoulders Matt puts in a good sweat and brings it to the boat. I take a strike with the gaff and the fish goes ballistic. Off he goes with my gaff. WTF!!!!! Totally pissed. Fuck it whatever. Matt keeps fighting and my gaff floats back up with the fish!!! HELL YA!!! I sink the other gaff in the fish and in the boat it goes. Quickly after grabbing my gaff back too

BOOM!

We beat the skunk and have meat on the boat. High fives them bleed the fish and put it on ice. Do a quick wash down and baits back out.

30-45 min later Matt is on again!!!! HELL YA MATT. I can sit and watch this all day and just practice gaffing. High fives, bleed, rinse and put fish on ice.

Now a good hour goes by and nothing. All of sudden we get a repeat of the Sonar blowing up with fish again. So I grab a fresh bait and 15-20 yards from the boat I’m on. Put in my fight, build up a sweat, and get it to the boat. Matt sinks the gaff in and BOOM #3 on board.

Shortly after I grab another dine, toss it out and again within 15-20 yards from the boat I’m on again. I fight the fish playing tug of war and eventually get it to the side of the boat. Huh Matt sinks the gaff in and in the boat it goes. High fives and stoked we have our limit by 1230. We drifted for 4 hours and got our limits within 30 miles from home on a small skiff. Can’t beat that.

Here I am stoked with our catch.
DD327622-87E2-4A37-A22D-D7B15DE43CEE.jpeg

Definitely a trip I won’t forget. Can’t believe the mass of fish out there. We were even more stoked we didn’t have any casualties or knots failing or hooks in a finger. 4 for 4 and done early. That hook in my finger was worth it if that is what it took to pay my dues.

until next time

Cheers!

View attachment 1305796

Last edited:

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    The only thing is, when he keeps telling the story over and over, The fish will get bigger and bigger each time and they had so much weight from the fish in the boat, The rail was just above the water line and they had to limp back to the dock, You guys had one Great day out their 4 for 4 :cheers:.

Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    What do fishermen and prostitutes have in common?
    They both are excellent liars 😂
    Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

gspot

Crazy for Cabo
    Jun 21, 2007
    Orange County
    Name
    George
    Boat
    24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler
    Now that's a trip to be proud of. So the formula to catching these BF are to:
    1. Work your ass off
    2. Look for an opening to go fishing
    3. Make a trip to the ER
    4. Grab a friend and some good beverages
    5. Head to a spot
    6. Wait for the fish to come to you.
    Love it. Thank you for sharing. :-)

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Love the progression shots of the sonar screen. Bet your level of anticipation rose right along with the mass of fish showing. Way to put the wood to 'em.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

MikesOcean

Jun 23, 2011
    San Pedro
    www.marinabaywatch.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Therapist
    Great job! Love the graph pics. How was the weather/ ride back? That can be a tough ride from the 277 back to Cabrillo. Fly line or sinker baits?
    The ride out was pretty decent. But coming back was lumpy. All fish caught fly lined.

Tuna Dreamer
    Tuna Dreamer
    Fly lined bait seems to be the ticket these past few days

Attachments

• AFD41017-C506-46E9-9E1B-02B6052CAE30.jpeg
      AFD41017-C506-46E9-9E1B-02B6052CAE30.jpeg
      18.5 KB · Views: 23
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0